Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E8EB112A1F7F-0312180719
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Touch Screen Monitors

Post by AcornFanBoy »

ttlehto wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:44 am Edit: I mean something like this https://www.spacedesk.net/
That's a neat idea. This would allow running the CNCPC headless. I think normal Remote Desktop (RDP) connection would work too: Mac OS and iOS have native Microsoft RDP clients that work really well, even over slow mobile connections. Since all processing is done in the CNCPC, potential network glitches in the desktop image transmission wouldn't hurt the CNC operation at all. This is definitely something to try!

I don't have experience with Spacedesk, but I've tried Duet https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duet-di ... 54064?mt=8. Because it is essentially a virtual display adapter it broke some games I was playing. I guess the virtual driver is somehow incompatible with DirectX, and I had to uninstall it. I didn't notice any problems with productivity applications; browsers, Office, SolidWorks etc. were unaffected. Perhaps the incompatibility was related to 3D. As a second screen Duet worked amazingly well. There was literally no lag in the image. I was able to play (at least) 2K video in my iPad using it, and everything worked just like with a real 2nd monitor.

RDP doesn't require any additional software licenses, and it is tried and true technology, and heavily optimized for slow connections. Windows 10 doesn't support simultaneous logins for multiple users, but Windows Server does. In theory we could have single PC running multiple instances of CNC12, for example one for a lathe, and another for a mill. Two iPads would be connected via RDP to separate user accounts in the Win Server.

<disclaimer> This is a DIY forum, I interpret it means experimental ideas are allowed :) </disclaimer>

ttlehto: nice to see a fellow Finn here!
ttlehto
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by ttlehto »

I have to try this as soon as i get my board.

If all works like i imagine, i could use a 4:3 touchscreen for the main window and a tablet for the VCP. This way i could do all jogging and manual operations just with the tablet in my hand :twisted:

Anyway if this doesn't work, touch control is still awesome!
Rolquin

Post by Rolquin »

Centroid_Tech wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 pm That is something that is easier said than done. There is a lot of coding, that is static, that is in place for the layout of the current virtual control panel. I have mentioned it to our software department to see if the orientation of the virtual control panel can be easily changed at some point in the future.
Is this something considered for the future ?

Im building my machine enclosure , would be great if I can place my Touchscreen in the portrait orientation.

Thanks
Toys
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Toys »

Since this post has not been updated in some time, just wanted to make sure that VT207N or T232HL works well with CNC12 4.5?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I have steered away from the ASUS monitor and have used this one now:
ViewSonic TD2210 22 Inch 1080p Single Point Resistive Touch Screen Monitor with DVI and VGA, Black
by Amazon.com
Learn more:
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Toys
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Toys »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:41 pm I have steered away from the ASUS monitor and have used this one now:
ViewSonic TD2210 22 Inch 1080p Single Point Resistive Touch Screen Monitor with DVI and VGA, Black
by Amazon.com
Learn more:
Glad I asked. Thanks Marty!
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

I've been very pleased with this one.

Scott
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I run dual 24" monitors on my office PC for design and CAD work and can't imagine using a PC with one monitor, I mean other than my CNC PC. :mrgreen: It's awesome to have multiple monitors but I just can't see how it would be beneficial for a CNC PC since it's main purpose is to run my machine only. But I'm sure someone will try it.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Toys wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:41 pm I have steered away from the ASUS monitor and have used this one now:
by Amazon.com
Learn more:
Glad I asked. Thanks Marty!
This one is a low end resistive one touch unit as opposed to the consumer grade multi touch units which are unnecessary for the CNC12 application and have caused me some trouble with multiple key presses.
Your mileage may vary.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
BillB

Post by BillB »

Does anyone have a touch screen 15-15.6 monitor option for around 200.00? Do you guys think the Asus VT168H 15.6 is still a good option, this original post is a bit old. There are 2 available on Ebay for 129.00. I need to keep the overall size of the monitor on the small side as I'm very limited on the space where the monitor is going to be mounted. Will be mounted on an arm. I've been looking at portable monitors for a while but as per my thread on them non have a Visa mount.