Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

We are working on Adding Rapid Override controls to the VCP

Post by cnckeith »

We are working on Adding Rapid Override controls CNC12 and to the VCP and are soliciting ideas on how to implement in the VCP UI for the best UX

One idea is to make the existing Feedrate Override controls also control the Rapid Rate separately (or together adjusting both as they do now if you have the current rapid over button activated).

When using Separate Rapid Override controls there would be a button that acted like a "switch" to swap the existing controls over to Rapid Rate control and back to Feedrate Control. This switch could be one button that toggled like is on the VCP for Auto/Man controls of coolant/spindle etc.. OR be two separate buttons as show below.
feed over mock up 1.png
rapid over mock up 1.png

Thoughts?

other ideas?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: We are working on Adding Rapid Override controls to the VCP

Post by cnckeith »

one button to toggle
feed over mock up 2.png
rapid over 2.png
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ken Rychlik
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Making it more reliable in both the positive and negative override would be preferable to adding more stuff. I try to avoid that area, as it has been problematic. When running slower it has also slowed the rapids. I would just remove that and have the rapids the machine was programmed at stay where they are when a feed override takes place. Perhaps a button that offers rapid and feed, or just feed override.
Ken
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Ken,

That is exactly the current behavior. If you have "Rapid Override" turned ON, then the feedrate override percentage applies to both feedrate moves and rapid moves. If you have the "Rapid Override" turned OFF, then the feedrate override applies to feedrate moves only, while rapid moves still go at full rapid rate. Rapid Override can be turned on and off using the F9 key while a program cycle is active, or using a "rapid_over" button on your VCP.

The software change Keith is describing here is for those who want just the opposite: the ability to slow down rapid moves, without affecting feedrate moves. The proposal is to accomplish this by having two separate override settings: one for feedrate moves, and one for rapid moves.
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Personally, I'd rather have two separate buttons when there is the chance I can break something. I want to have a discrete intentional choice with no chance of misinterpretation. Toggles for lights and coolant are one thing, cutting is another.
I've kept my Start Cycle and Stop Cycle buttons physically apart so I don't accidentally stop a long run by missing an adjacent button. When you get old, you'll understand...
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:00 pm Ken,

That is exactly the current behavior. If you have "Rapid Override" turned ON, then the feedrate override percentage applies to both feedrate moves and rapid moves. If you have the "Rapid Override" turned OFF, then the feedrate override applies to feedrate moves only, while rapid moves still go at full rapid rate. Rapid Override can be turned on and off using the F9 key while a program cycle is active, or using a "rapid_over" button on your VCP.
I will have to look for the Rapid override turned on or off. In the wizard? But also Being able to go above 100% reliably would be nice. I also suffer from the crs old age thing.
Thanks
Ken
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

current rapid over ride button.

maybe you deleted it with your customer vcp?
current rapid over.png
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Thanks Keith. Is there a wizard setting for it to normally be off when cnc12 is started? I didn't realize that was for override. Rapid over could have different meanings. Maybe that button should be where the override buttons are.
Ken
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

yep, moving the rapid over button is one of the improvements i am suggesting in the images above:-))
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

My vote is for the one button to toggle Rapid/Feed, less clutter.

Just a thought - maybe make the Rapid/Feed button change color to the background selection

For example -
For normal feed rate selected and light grey border background for feed rate, the button would be dark grey

For rapid Feed Rate Override the button would be light grey with the dark grey background.

IMO this would still contrast and make the over-ride selector easier to differentiate from the axis buttons ( yellow) above.