Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E06234797D85-0713226416
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Z Axis Break won't unlock

Post by codohundo »

Hello, I'm working through my bench testing and it's going quite well, but I'm having trouble with my z break, electrically it's fine I think, when I use the diagnostic panel I can toggle output 47 (as shown in the screencap) and the break will turn off (green light = break spins freely). I've set the 3th axis break release to output 47 (as shown in the config screenshot) but the break remains locked unless I manually toggle it. I would think that it would unlock either when the system powers up, the estop/reset is cleared or at least once the axis is driven, but manually toggling it is the only thing I've found so far that works, this seems to persist through rebooting the controller so that would sort of work but I suspect that's not the normal way to use it. I've been searching through the forums and manuals but my searching fu has let me down, am I missing some config or does it have to be setup as a macro? Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if I haven't included enough information, it's hard to say what's relevant.

Thanks, Travis.
Attachments
output.png
diag.png
report_E06234797D85-0713226416_2023-06-06_16-40-03.zip
(770.13 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Z Axis Break won't unlock

Post by cnckeith »

the axis brake relay will not toggle until the axis is commanded to move.

brakes are typically spring loaded so they are fail safe, this way if power is removed from the machine the brake will engage.

the brake relay is typically used to apply power to the brake coil to release the brake.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

open the alt i screen and jog the axis and you will see the axis brake led turn green.

to remove the power from the brake, cycle the reset button or estop and you will see it turn red
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
codohundo
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by codohundo »

Lol I was just about to reply back and say I have been driving it around, keyboard, gcode and mpg, but then I thought of something. I've been mucking with this for a couple days and now that I ask for help I figured it out, I suspect that little bar under the indicator on the diagnostic screen means something like manual override? When I did my first test of the break I think I inadvertently locked it to disabled, when I manually disable it, and clear that bar, then it behaves as expected. I suspected it would be something silly on my part.

Thanks for the help anyway.
codohundo
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by codohundo »

Is it customary to edit the original subject with a [Resolved] or something like that?