CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool offset / Part Set Issues

Post by robertg4260 »

Hello all,

Trying to get my first cut going and experimenting with the bikersblvd.nc file as a test and running into problems. Here is my process: For the tool offset and part setup, I followed the video for tool offsets using touch tool by martyscncgarage.

1. Scrape piece of plywood 12" x 10.5" that is large enough for the cut. wood is secured to the platform, and using a 1mm end mill bit.
2. Homed machine. Machine coordinates are all 0. I also set the WCS coordinates to 0
3 My touch tool is fixed at X0 Y0
3. I go into setup - tool offset and select auto measure (attached screenshot). The height offset measurement comes back to -4.8915, and Z is set to -.6515. A quick test with a tape measure and calipers seems to validate these measurements. After the auto measurement finishes, the Z axis raises the tool bit and with a tape measure, it is not quite 5" from the bottom of the tool bit to the platform, and from the platform to the bottom of the spindle seems about -5.5" (height offset (-4.8915) + Z (-.6515). I saved (F10) the settings.
4. I centered the X and Y axis to the center of the board using the cross hair laser attached to the spindle mount
5. I go into part set up, and set X and Y to 0
6. I lower the Z axis to the top of the board (using paper method) and change the part position to .6990 (height of plywood). I saved the settings and Z changes to +.06990
7. I load the bikersblvd.nc file and start the cutting
8. The X and Y coordinates seem to go to the correct locations and the Z Axis drops, but goes too far, and the tool bit goes completely in the plywood and the bottom of the spindle hits the top of the wood.

I'm messing up somewhere but not sure where. I re-ran my process again up to step 3. I moved the X/Y coordinates, so tool is off the Touch Tool, I lowered the tool to around -4.8915 and this gets the tool bit to the top of the platform. So, the Tool Offset seems correct.

Any ideas?
Attachments
report_98F07B05E026-1205226686_2023-05-21_16-46-29.zip
(831.26 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
IMG_0150.jpg
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tool offset / Part Set Issues

Post by cnckeith »

i recommend you write your own g code program using Intercon,
start with simple rectangular pocket using one tool.
and follow the examples in the videos and manuals
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
robertg4260
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by robertg4260 »

Thanks Keith. Did my process look ok for the tool offset and setting the part coordinates?
CNCMaryland
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

It doesn't know what tool height you're using to set the Z with the paper.

If you go thru the part setup on the Z axis page, you will have the ability to tell it what tool you are using.

However for a 1 tool job, you don't have to do what your doing. You don't have to put any tool heights. Leave that all blank, and set the Z with the paper, and then adjust for the thickness of the board. I assume you are doing this because the model has the Z0 set to the bottom?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

robertg4260 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:22 pm Thanks Keith. Did my process look ok for the tool offset and setting the part coordinates?
watch this. back when i had a bit of hair left..its all gone now due to cnc tech support stress. :lol:

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
robertg4260

Post by robertg4260 »

Thanks Keith and Mary.

Mary you are correct. One tool job and I was setting z to the top of the material, and added the height of the material during part setup.

Keith, great video learned a lot and will be going back to watch again. One thing really obvious was you are setting z on top of the material + .002 (thickness of paper) so top of material for WCS is .002.

When I was doing it, my reference was the platform as z0 and top of material was .6690. This was opposite of what you are doing and I wonder if that is my issue? But doesn’t that approach affect the tool offset? When you did the video was the platform still your reference point or did you subtract the measurement of the part/material from the 321 reference block? And when using a fix TT, isn’t tool offset applied to WCS and not machine coordinates?

Again great video and look forward to playing with intercon and doing a simple cut, but maybe several days before doing so. This is a hobby and enjoy learning very much.
robertg4260

Post by robertg4260 »

Keith
Quick question on using intercon. When using the tool change function, is the xy position using machine coordinates or work coordinates?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

xy tool change position in intercon is WCS

Z is using m25 which in turn uses machine coordinate G28 (return point)

open the g code that intercon post and you will see, run test in Air (set wcs Z high and no tool in spindle)

; --- Tool #10 ---
;Tool Diameter = 0.5000 Spindle Speed = 0
;6.35 mm 2f end mill
G49 H0 M25
G0 X-4.0 Y5.0

intercon m25.png
intercon circle tool.png
g28.png