Centroid CNC12 v5.04 has been released. UPDATE v5.06 has been released.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Centroid CNC12 v5.0 has been released. Click here to download.

Post by ShawnM »

I agree that customizing the VCP and the other bits of software is not for everyone. There are people who can barely turn on a pc let alone customize files and buttons and edit code. But if you know how it's well worth the time to do so as the reward is ten fold what you put in it. My work flow is so much faster and easier on my machines.

I for one have never tried to edit the PLC and that seems like a daunting take to me. I hope I never need to. :shock:
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

CNCMaryland wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:27 am I would like to add some positive words for 5.0 which I like very much.

First for the MPG usage, and a lockout feature for Z axis to limit motion to x10. Say whatever you want, but this is huge. I'm sure we have all grabbed the MPG and forgot either what axis we had the selector set to, or what speed we had set, and then spun the wheel for the Z axis and had something bad happen. So that's honestly a great upgrade.

Secondly, the selectable buttons for the feedrate for 25, 50,75%. That is truly awesome. Really like that.

Thirdly, I really like the ability to change all the probing speeds, very helpful.

The color picker is great too, I need to spend some time with the colors. Would love if we have a place to share with others.
thanks. start/make a color picker thread and i will add it to the knowledge base, you and everyone can post your color profiles there.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

i started a color picker thread here.

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... 854#p75854
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I have very minimal VCP customizations ...like three buttons either moved, resized or a different color. In V5, reset went away, and it was a lot of trial and ERROR to get it back, and so far I haven't gotten it to change states...nobody asked me if it should be removed...9-).
I use Swissi's probing app, in theory I should be able to copy that probing folder but...thankfully Swissi responded to my support request and gave me an easy solution. There is some kinda info on the web that tells you to add some program - that is incorrect, there is an .msi file that can be run to install or repair.
On my first update from 4.62 to 4.82 I was too overwhelmed to take good notes. This time I had a list of what I THOUGHT I would need..., (HOW ABOUT A TECH PUB...?) but it was far from complete. I have updated the list and had Mr.CHATGPT wrote some batch files to copy stuff to a thumb drive. Maybe if I did it more often (just kidding) I could reduce the time from two days to an hour. However Iexpect there are few that can do it in an hour...correct me if I'm the only one that takes two days.
As a second time upgrader I still don't have 100% confidence...CRASH
I added the INCOMPLETE batch file for those want a starter to redefine; IT WILL NEED TO BE RENAMED "your choice".BAT... it copies some files and folder to a thumb drive
Attachments
copy files.txt
(421 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

lavrgs wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:17 pm I have very minimal VCP customizations ...like three buttons either moved, resized or a different color. In V5, reset went away, and it was a lot of trial and ERROR to get it back, and so far I haven't gotten it to change states...nobody asked me if it should be removed...9-).
I use Swissi's probing app, in theory I should be able to copy that probing folder but...thankfully Swissi responded to my support request and gave me an easy solution. There is some kinda info on the web that tells you to add some program - that is incorrect, there is an .msi file that can be run to install or repair.
On my first update from 4.62 to 4.82 I was too overwhelmed to take good notes. This time I had a list of what I THOUGHT I would need..., (HOW ABOUT A TECH PUB...?) but it was far from complete. I have updated the list and had Mr.CHATGPT wrote some batch files to copy stuff to a thumb drive. Maybe if I did it more often (just kidding) I could reduce the time from two days to an hour. However Iexpect there are few that can do it in an hour...correct me if I'm the only one that takes two days.
As a second time upgrader I still don't have 100% confidence...CRASH
I added the INCOMPLETE batch file for those want a starter to redefine; IT WILL NEED TO BE RENAMED "your choice".BAT... it copies some files and folder to a thumb drive
hello.
general guidelines for updating to v5.0 are in the instructions. it assumes that if you made customizations you know what they are and know how to copy them over.

here is the general process here again.
1.) install v5.0
2.) configure the Wizard
3.) copy over tool lib, work coordinates, custom home program, custom marcros from the old install (copy the INDIVIDUAL files from the cncm/t folder)
4.) if you have a custom VCP, Edit the NEW VCP xml and button folders to match the old one. (don't just copy over the entire old VCP that wont work, edit the new xml with your mods!!)
done.

i do this remotely on machines that i have NO IDEA what was customized... i do this by simply looking at file dates. from the dates i can tell if a macro has been modified or not and therefore know which ones to copy over to the new install. usually takes me about 10 minutes to figure it out.
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

FWIW, my Lathe update performed in about 30 mins from v4.82 without hitch other than a non-reversed Z axis - No, I wasn't rushing, I just failed to read the screenshot properly!! Time included 2 files to copy over - WCS and TTL. Considering the lathe was only converted a few weeks back and was my 1st Lathe conversion, the update really couldn't be easier. Will update both my Mill and Router in the coming days

Hats off to Keith and all the crew, including Beta testers - Damn fine job which very much appreciated
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Nigelo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:51 am FWIW, my Lathe update performed in about 30 mins from v4.82 without hitch other than a non-reversed Z axis - No, I wasn't rushing, I just failed to read the screenshot properly!! Time included 2 files to copy over - WCS and TTL. Considering the lathe was only converted a few weeks back and was my 1st Lathe conversion, the update really couldn't be easier. Will update both my Mill and Router in the coming days

Hats off to Keith and all the crew, including Beta testers - Damn fine job which very much appreciated
thanks for the feedback.

in the future we will have an update helper in the Wizard, something like this.
wizard import report.png
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Well that was a little painful, as the wizard overwrote previous wizard settings when I wasn't looking. But I seem to have got there in the end.

One thing I can't find either in CNC12 itself or the release notes is where to find the option to enable or disable the 4th axis. Perhaps it was removed due to the need to support Acorn 6 but I'd like to be able to turn off the 4th axis DRO when it's not in use. Like most people, I only use the 4th axis occasionally. Is it still available somewhere?
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

See parameter 131.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
avp
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E062346A1C67-0716214939

Post by avp »

I'm trying to figure out why in 5.0 I need to do a direction reversal in the configuration to have each axis move in the correct direction. I did not have to do this in 4.82
Bill