Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E0623464B717-0628226384
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 10/1 gears installed!

Post by RoxanaPS »

Sword wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 pm Late to the party here, but what happens if you lower your max rate? Does it still do it no matter how low you set it. Did you say at one time that you put the drivers in open loop mode and it worked fine? Can't remember. The way it looks and sounds, is what I've heard when the stepper motor has exceeded it's rpm, but you should get a driver fault. Just more spit ballin'.

Ok, I see that it's anything above 200ipm.
It happens at any speed above 200ipm. It does not happen in open loop mode.
Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Sword »

If I remember correctly, didn't you try swapping motors and drivers, did the problem follow the motor or driver? Could there be an encoder issue with either/or? Encoder not keeping up with movement above that point, faulty motor or driver encoder?
Scott
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You just increased your torque 10 fold with that gearbox, that’s not the issue. I thought you and I talked about a driver swap but I cannot remember if you actually did that or not. When this happened do you get a drive fault? Don’t hit the estop and see what happens.

Here’s what I’d suggest at this time. Leave everything wired as it, remove the motors from the machine and lay them on the table still wired up and run the same program that stalls out. If they still stall you have a motor, driver or cable problem. Swap the stalled motor only with another motor and see if the problem follows the motor or not. If it does it’s that motor, if the swapped in motor stalls where the old one was it’s the drive or encoder cable.

You have to swap/move only one single component at a time until you find the problem part. Is it only the X axis that is stalling? I can’t remember. If it doesn’t stall in open loop mode that tells me you have an encoder issue with either the motor, cable or drive.
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

The X is the only one that does it. Back when we were diagnosing this you maybrecall I decided to purchase a brand new driver and motor and cable and removed the old parts. The X axis motor is a nema23 242oz motor. The stalling only happens on the X axis above 200ipm. I only have mounting options for nema23 motors.

Thanks Shawn.
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

ShawnM wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:40 am You just increased your torque 10 fold with that gearbox, that’s not the issue. I thought you and I talked about a driver swap but I cannot remember if you actually did that or not. When this happened do you get a drive fault? Don’t hit the estop and see what happens.

Here’s what I’d suggest at this time. Leave everything wired as it, remove the motors from the machine and lay them on the table still wired up and run the same program that stalls out. If they still stall you have a motor, driver or cable problem. Swap the stalled motor only with another motor and see if the problem follows the motor or not. If it does it’s that motor, if the swapped in motor stalls where the old one was it’s the drive or encoder cable.

You have to swap/move only one single component at a time until you find the problem part. Is it only the X axis that is stalling? I can’t remember. If it doesn’t stall in open loop mode that tells me you have an encoder issue with either the motor, cable or drive.
Hey Shawn. I replied to you questions a few minutes ago. I also was wondering if a stronger nema23 motor would make any difference. Like this one:

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema- ... 204d-e1000
Richards

Post by Richards »

Have you checked the math? 200 inch=per-minute = 3.33 inch-per-second. 2.69 revs-per-inch X 10:1 gearbox = 26.9 motor revs per inch. 26.9 X 3.33 = 89.57 motor shaft revs per second. 89.57 motor shaft revs per second X 3,200 steps per revolution = 286,624 steps per second.

Can you motors handle that many steps per second? Have you selected a high enough steps per second rate in Wizard?
-Mike Richards
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I'm thinking the motor is stalling because it's cant spin as fast as is needed. The 200 IPM he wants, and I'm sure he wants faster as Rob does like his speed :D, the motors/drives can't do what he's asking. Apparently it works fine at speeds under 200 IPM.

I wouldn't have gone 10:1 but that's what he has now. 10:1 sacrifices a lot of speed for torque. I was once told you can never have too much torque but there's a happy medium with speed versus torque somewhere.

I doubt those drives can handle anything over 100,000 for a step rate. Maybe 200,00 on a good day but I doubt any faster regardless of what the manual says.

Again Rob, this is not a torque issue, a higher holding torque isn't going to solve this problem. Once the motor starts moving that number goes out the window. You said there's no binding on the movement, yes?

If you do the same moves at slower speeds does it run fine? If so there's your answer and I'm sure it's not the answer you want is it Speedracer? :D

Please post a current report also.
RoxanaPS

Post by RoxanaPS »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:51 am I'm thinking the motor is stalling because it's cant spin as fast as is needed. The 200 IPM he wants, and I'm sure he wants faster as Rob does like his speed :D, the motors/drives can't do what he's asking. Apparently it works fine at speeds under 200 IPM.

I wouldn't have gone 10:1 but that's what he has now. 10:1 sacrifices a lot of speed for torque. I was once told you can never have too much torque but there's a happy medium with speed versus torque somewhere.

I doubt those drives can handle anything over 100,000 for a step rate. Maybe 200,00 on a good day but I doubt any faster regardless of what the manual says.

Again Rob, this is not a torque issue, a higher holding torque isn't going to solve this problem. Once the motor starts moving that number goes out the window. You said there's no binding on the movement, yes?

If you do the same moves at slower speeds does it run fine? If so there's your answer and I'm sure it's not the answer you want is it Speedracer? :D

Please post a current report also.
Before making all these changes I ran it at 3000ipm fast travel and cut at 600ipm with no issue. I had an engineer come out yesterday, spent 9 hours on it in my shop. End result was to contact the controller/software manufacturer. Which is why I am on the forum obviously. Not sure where to turn next. An engineer can’t figure it out, the forum can’t. Is there any other resource to figure this out?
CNCMaryland
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

I watched the video. I see where the motor stalled. I did not see in the report provided an alarm/drive error. Is the drive going into a fault?

If the drive is going into a fault, are their any setting for the drive that manage the fault?
Black Forest

Post by Black Forest »

Seems to me this forum did figure it out for you. The 10:1 gearboxes would work with servos but they aren't going to give you the speeds you want with steppers.