CNC Control System Serial Number: acorn 6810
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Using a vertical and a horizontal spindle with Acorn

Post by Timothy Clement »

Hello all,
I am using Acorn mill ultimate to control a router with vertical and horizontal spindles. Vertical spindle programs run in the usual way in the XY plane but the horizontal spindle set up has been challenging. I have attempted to set up the horizontal spindle for YZ plane machining by configuring motor labels to Z, X and Y for axes 1, 2, and 3.This works fine for linear moves but even with G19 plane set circular interpolation (with I, J, K) is not handled properly. Is there a solution for this? Should I instead use an entirely different approach to machine with the horizontal axis? Transforming the wcs doesn't seem to be a viable alternative.
Thanks
Attachments
machine view
machine view
report_80F5B5AA31FD-0127236810_2023-03-17_09-12-55.zip
acorn cnc12 report
(743.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Using a vertical and a horizontal spindle with Acorn

Post by suntravel »

I never configured a machine this way, but from the manual TWCS is made for a articulated head rotating in B-Axis.

So I would try to configure the gantry as Y axis and moving the gantry as X-axis.

But since it is designed for the 5th axis B, not sure it will work with a 4 axis Acorn.

Uwe
Black Forest
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Black Forest »

Do you want to use both spindles in the same job? If not you can configure your machine with two different configurations. I asked this question regarding my universal milling machine. I was told to have two totally different machine configurations of the Acorn. I never set it up as I have a horizontal mill also.
Timothy Clement

Thanks for the replies. I have been experimenting with the two machine configurations approach but without a workable regime yet. If I am successful I will post some info about what worked.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

With a second setup it is easy, use axis configuration so Z is in direction with the horizontal spindle.

You can use a batch file to rename the c:/cncm folders from vertical to horizontal.

Drawback is you have to restart Acorn anytime you want to use the horizontal spindle.

Uwe
Timothy Clement

Hello all,
I have had success with vertical and horizontal spindles by having separate cncm files as suggested by Marty and suntravel. They have to be renamed every time I switch from one to the other but that is doable. I also had to install a bank of double throw switches to switch the signal from Acorn to different axes (with the Acorn turned off). To use the horizontal spindle for the yz plane I have x become y and y become z and z become x. This works and allows proper circular interpolation which had been an issue with another approach. It does make for some confusion when doing the setup in the wizard but it is all doable.The vcp is not labelled properly for jogging in this situation but if you think of it from the perspective of the spindle it is right.
So now I can once again cut compound angled tenons on long pieces of wood with no problem. Thanks for the input.
Tim
Last edited by Timothy Clement on Mon May 01, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Timothy Clement wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:41 pm Hello all,
I have had success with vertical and horizontal spindles by having separate cncm files as suggested by Marty and suntravel. They have to be renamed every time I switch from one to the other but that is doable. I also had to install a bank of double pole switches to switch the signal from Acorn to different axes (with the Acorn turned off). To use the horizontal spindle for the yz plane I have x become y and y become z and z become x. This works and allows proper circular interpolation which had been an issue with another approach. It does make for some confusion when doing the setup in the wizard but it is all doable.The vcp is not labelled properly for jogging in this situation but if you think of it from the perspective of the spindle it is right.
So now I can once again cut compound angled tenons on long pieces of wood with no problem. Thanks for the input.
Tim
cool. lets see some video!
related...you can edit the vcp to your liking on each install.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html