CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F2C7C9-0211214367
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Automatic dust shoe

Post by bleiler60 »

Hello,

I'm thinking about adding a automatic dust shoe similar to the one Marius Hornberger built, which will be driven with a Nema 17 motor using a TB6600 drive and have a few questions.

I'm am using the AcornSix board and using Clearpath motors for the Router. Can the Nema 17 motor be configured separately in the wizard?

I'm using Swiss's probe app with the ATC add on, can a macro be written in the app to control the dust shoe during tool changes?

Here is the video of the build:

Thanks
Bill
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Automatic dust shoe

Post by cnckeith »

sure.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Just use an air ram and a solenoid. This is a lot simpler to do with a lot less parts and configuration. Why over complicate it?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ShawnM wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:03 pm Just use an air ram and a solenoid. This is a lot simpler to do with a lot less parts and configuration. Why over complicate it?
i second that.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bleiler60

Post by bleiler60 »

Can an air solenoid be controlled to be adjusted to the height to the work piece?
What I like about this design, is that he has it programmed to adjust to the height of the work piece and not a fixed height. Also I already have all the parts with the exception of the motor and driver. I know it's probably not a big deal controlling the height. just kicking around the idea ;)

Bill
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

bleiler60 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:18 pm Can an air solenoid be controlled to be adjusted to the height to the work piece?
What I like about this design, is that he has it programmed to adjust to the height of the work piece and not a fixed height. Also I already have all the parts with the exception of the motor and driver. I know it's probably not a big deal controlling the height. just kicking around the idea ;)

Bill
i've seen stops put in for a range of heights its a quick manual way to adjust the DOWN height but requires operator to move the stop with a tool change. the stops could be automated as well if you really want to. on a production machine that is constantly switching long to short tools this would be worth it for sure, not so sure for a diy machine unless you just want a project to have fun with ;)

if you want full infinite height adjustment install a stepper motor on it and treat it like any other axis programmable to any position. pretty easy to do with Acorn.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Just use a dust brush with long bristles so it'll work at any height with any tool, this is what I do and I never see a chip on my workpiece. But as Keith said, if you want another project go for it.
bleiler60

Post by bleiler60 »

Here is what I'll be going with for now.
Manual dust shoe, which can be can be adjusted and the brush will be removable. The dust shield around the spindle will also be removable.
Auto maybe in the future :)
Brush.PNG
Thank you Keith & Shawn for your input ;)
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

bleiler60 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:41 pm Hello,

I'm thinking about adding a automatic dust shoe similar to the one Marius Hornberger built, which will be driven with a Nema 17 motor using a TB6600 drive and have a few questions.

I'm am using the AcornSix board and using Clearpath motors for the Router. Can the Nema 17 motor be configured separately in the wizard?

I'm using Swiss's probe app with the ATC add on, can a macro be written in the app to control the dust shoe during tool changes?

Thanks
Bill
If you are using the ATC Module of the ProbeApp, there's a section in the configuration settings specifically for Dust Shoe Park and Retrieval commands:

pa134.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
bleiler60

Post by bleiler60 »

I have the automatic dust shoe built and getting ready to mount it to the machine. As I mentioned, the dust shoe will be independent of the z-axis and be driven with a stepper motor. Before mounting it, I want to run a bench test with the stepper and I'm not sure how to set it up in the wizard. The stepper will be assigned as the 5th axis.

In the wizard there are several options to label the axis, which one should be used or does it make any difference, just pick one?

Thanks
Bill