Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool Check fails

Post by hivoltage »

I got an error that the tool check failed.
I was running a project that has more than one job and on the 2nd job when I pressed the button to move all axis to the 0 position the Z axis goes part way up and stops. Normally it goes up all the way and stops just short of the limit switch. I clicked on the tool check button and it gave me that error.

Anyone know what could cause this and what is the fix?
CNCMaryland
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Re: Tool Check fails

Post by CNCMaryland »

It failed because something is wrong with your machine if it will not go fully up in Z.

Like you said" Normally it goes up all the way and stops just short of the limit switch."

You need to figure out why that happened first.
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

EDITED
Last edited by lavrgs on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Tool Check moves to G28 coordinates, that is always the same position if offset is active or not.

If it hits end of Z hard, you have a problem with the stepper drive, or a slipping connection of the ball screw to the motor.

Uwe
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

or home set wrong , or home switch issue
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
hivoltage

Post by hivoltage »

@ CNCMaryland
I posted the error and assumed people here would know that something went wrong. The system is wired properly and the error I received was strange and I have not heard of anyone else getting it. I do not what would cause that error so I do not know what to look at. Posting my experience was my attempt to try to gain information to see how to troubleshoot. The manual shows this: "932 Error during Tool Check A general error condition occurred when the Tool Check key was pressed." This does not tell me what to inspect or check so I can correct any error I may have done. Currently the system ran several jobs and didn't error out. So it was something intermittent. I would not have posted here if there was something in the manual or other document that would tell me what to check.

@suntravel
FYI I am not using stepper motors. I have the ClearPath servos.
Also I did not hit Z hard in either direction.

@cnckeith
I do not think home was set wrong as it will return the the machine coordinates fine. The home switch is working.

To everyone. I am not experiencing the issue after I left and shut everything down and came back the next day.
If I had to guess I would say that something was set in one of the bit registers that was not supposed to and because of that the tool check sees this and errors. Without knowing what the tool check does specifically then I do not know how to fix what may be the problem.
If it happens again I will do a report and try to get images. So for now case closed.
Thanks for the suggestions/help.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

hivoltage wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:27 am @ CNCMaryland
I posted the error and assumed people here would know that something went wrong. The system is wired properly and the error I received was strange and I have not heard of anyone else getting it. I do not what would cause that error so I do not know what to look at. Posting my experience was my attempt to try to gain information to see how to troubleshoot. The manual shows this: "932 Error during Tool Check A general error condition occurred when the Tool Check key was pressed." This does not tell me what to inspect or check so I can correct any error I may have done. Currently the system ran several jobs and didn't error out. So it was something intermittent. I would not have posted here if there was something in the manual or other document that would tell me what to check.

@suntravel
FYI I am not using stepper motors. I have the ClearPath servos.
Also I did not hit Z hard in either direction.

@cnckeith
I do not think home was set wrong as it will return the the machine coordinates fine. The home switch is working.

To everyone. I am not experiencing the issue after I left and shut everything down and came back the next day.
If I had to guess I would say that something was set in one of the bit registers that was not supposed to and because of that the tool check sees this and errors. Without knowing what the tool check does specifically then I do not know how to fix what may be the problem.
If it happens again I will do a report and try to get images. So for now case closed.
Thanks for the suggestions/help.
post a fresh report.zip otherwise we are just guessing and link to photos of the machine in an online photos album.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html