Tick and then no more movement until power cycled (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Ken Rychlik
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tick and then no more movement until power cycled (Resolved)

Post by Ken Rychlik »

After a power cycle of the acorn board, when you start up the acorn app you get the "tick" sound of the drivers being taken over by Centroid. I can move things around and have been working on getting the settings to my liking, but when I hear that same "tick" sound, it's over. DRO shows movement but all drivers will not move a motor. I'm used to that tick when they lock in from several machines, but this is the first time I have run across the tick while in use and the drivers don't unlock, but they are not controlled anymore.

Drivers, actually sound pretty good and smooth when working and auto homing sequence is doing fine with proxy switches.

I get no error messages when the tick happens, but no movement will happen until the acorn board is cycled.

Pacific Scientific 6410 drivers. 5v logic with constant 5v to step/dir+ from power supply and step/dir - hooked to the db25

The Drives ran fine on the axyz system, but it was just outdated and used a serial cable for loading files.

I used leadshine dm setup, as they use the 5v+ and are set up the same.

I have played with different feed speeds and went from 100khz to 400khz with no change.

Sometimes when no movement at all is happening on the machine I hear the "tick" and again it's over for that power cycle.

I have run the stress test and zero issues. Ping test again has zero issues.

When the tick happens, I do not loose ethernet connection to the board.

Report attached, a few pics attached, Manual for the drive attached.

Thanks
Attachments
6410_Hardware_Manual.pdf
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
report_80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854_2023-03-18_13-50-04.zip
(775.92 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
stress passed.PNG
Photo Mar 18 2023, 2 30 18 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 18 2023, 3 13 43 PM.jpg
Last edited by Ken Rychlik on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Ken Rychlik

Re: Tick and then no more movement until power cycled

Post by Ken Rychlik »

WHEN the machine runs, it sounds and feels pretty good. Here is a quick video on youtube.
Ken
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

loose connection on VDC to Acorn?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I think he has an incoming main power issue Keith and I believe the drives are faulting because of overvoltage. He does not have the drive fault lines hooked up so that's why Acorn does not trigger a fault, but hopefully I've managed to get him to rethink this and wire them up. Still troubleshooting.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

ShawnM wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:06 pm I think he has an incoming main power issue Keith and I believe the drives are faulting because of overvoltage. He does not have the drive fault lines hooked up so that's why Acorn does not trigger a fault, but hopefully I've managed to get him to rethink this and wire them up. Still troubleshooting.
cool. i was thinking this sounded like a power issue.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I still don't get how all 4 drives would fault at the same time, but I am watching a fault output while running it. Dang thing won't act up when I want it to.
Question. If DRO's are moving does that mean it is sending step/dir?

Drives list 75v max and the axyz board was set up at 80v to start with. The power supply is depending on incoming voltage and I am running right at 250v ac. Shawn thinks I'm hitting the max of the drives with voltage spikes when running. It does make sense, but having all 4 fault at the exact same time every time, seems unlikely.

Loose VDC to acorn seems like it would give a com error?

Thanks
Ken
Ken
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

but having all 4 fault at the exact same time every time, seems unlikely.
In reality it is very likely when running a toroidal transformer, as they are linear. If designed for 230vac and 80 volt output it will output 8.9% higher voltage or 86.96 vac. Don't know what you are using, but I have seen Leadshine drives show over volt alarm at 80.1 volts.

If they are Leadshine or clones, read the blink code
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Gary, they are Pacific Scientific 6410 drivers and the manual states between 24 and 75 volts. He is running a toroidal transformer and at times he was reading over 80 volts on the toroidal transformer at idle. They are "old school" drives with no led's. The manual states that the drives will fault for "bus overvoltage". When decelerating multiple drives at once they can easily push the 80 volts even higher and fault.

Looking at your report Ken, you do have some ethernet communication errors as well. You said you cleared the log since then so post another current report.
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I was fighting windows turning back on defender stuff by itself, and I think I have that corrected. There are lots of different pages and places it can take over. Those were squared away before the "tick" issue showed itself, as I was able to manually jog the machine around. I cleared it because I wanted to know what was happening after getting the pc more reliable.

Drive ok input is hooked up and working. (I think) I ran it in series through all drives. input pin (24v) to pin 4 and pin 9 to the next pin 4 ect.. with the final pin 9 going to gd. I really have no way of knowing it will trip other than signal is passing through them as it should normally. When a fault sneaks up, I will know for sure.

I am thinking a 60 or 72v ps but would like to see for sure what is happening first. Even if I change the drives, over 80v will be excessive.

Thanks

Ken
Ken
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Ok, the Transformer was wired Orng/blk that is for 208v. I rewired it to wht/blk (240) and it brought down the output to the drivers to 69 vdc. I need to run it through it's paces, but it looks promising. I included a pic of the transformer tag.
Thanks to all
Ken
Attachments
Photo Mar 23 2023, 9 06 27 AM.jpg
Ken