Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Updating to 4.82??

Post by vw_chuck »

So I have trepidation in updating to the current release of Acorn.
I made changes to my Acorn and don't really remember what I changed to do it.
I have a lathe with RPM encoder and I have it reading out degrees of rotation. I also made some changes to the VCP in moving buttons around and have 2 macros assigned to keys.
So my question is if I update to the latest release will all my changes move with the update or are they gone and I have to figure out how to do them all again?
Thanks for the replies.
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Updating to 4.82??

Post by suntravel »

Yes you have to start with a fresh installation, but the changes sounds to be easy to reconfigure...

But maybe wait for Acorn 5, the current 4.99 Beta is a bigger step forward than from 4.6 to 4.82 ;)

Uwe
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

While this is not for the novice, an effective way to scan for configuration changes between one CNC12 installation and another, is to use WinMerge or a similar side-by-side file comparison utility to compare the report_*.txt files from the two installations.

This will highlight any differences in the configuration menus, parameter values, part zeros and return points, etc..

You can also use WinMerge on complete folders, to scan for differences in M function macro files; system macro files; message files; VCP configuration files; etc..

Of course, you can expect some differences in the files that Centroid has changed; but most of the differences you see will relate to your own machine-specific configuration choices.
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

The text editor notepad++ has a compare function. You can use it to find out what is different between a new and old installation.
vw_chuck
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490

Post by vw_chuck »

Clearly Centroid needs to make this rickety procedure to update to the next release EASIER and automated. I will stay on whatever release I am currently on. Way too confusing.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

It sounds only complicated, I need under 10min to bring a fresh new installation to my customizing from the old version with old tool and WCS settings.

CNC12 is a highly customizable DIY system, that can not be fully automated to update to new version with more features and different base PLC .

The key is to keep track of your custom changes.

Uwe
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Prior to Acorn -- and still for Centroid's closed-loop industrial controls -- you just install the new software version over the old version, and it retains your setups.

If I understand correctly, the routine of having to do a fresh install in an empty directory, then variously reenter all your configuration settings and/or transfer selected files, represents "teething pains" of the Acorn/Wizard/Universal PLC architecture. With luck (and programming and design effort), Acorn will eventually settle down to where it can work like previous versions have always worked.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yes, making screen shots, entering a few values in the Wizard takes 5 minutes.
copying tool lib, wcs and any custom files takes another 5 minutes.
we are aware that this is not a one button press to update CNC12 to the latest version.

we will have to do this one more time (v4.xx to v5.xx), with v5.0 and then after that it will become a one button press moving forward to update.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html