Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

2x3 CNC Router Acorn Build

Post by krissondors »

I found this old, no-name CNC router on Craigslist in my area. I picked it up for $650 in an "As-is" not working condition. My plan was to put it up and install the Acorn fast and dirty (I'm currently doing a large VMC Oak retrofit so I figured this Acorn build would prep me for the Oak build as is it WAY more complex. Also, having a high RPM router is night for the projects my mill isn't good for).
20230312_183926.jpg
When I picked it up and took it home, I started to open it up and see what I got. I was actually impressed with what I got for the price. It has nice cast aluminum table and gantry sides, beefy rails, ball screws, 24k RPM water-cooled spindle, and overall decent build construction. As far as electrical, it has open-loop steppers and drive, proximity sensors, and some old CNC controller that had to be hooked up to a computer via Serial port. I didn't even bother turning it on with the old hardware, so I went straight into added the Acorn.
20230306_220134.jpg
20230306_220140.jpg
20230306_220050.jpg
20230306_220143.jpg
20230306_231502.jpg
I really wanted to play with my heatshrink label maker and wire ferrule kit before using them on the Oak retrofit so this was a good test run. While adding the Acorn I also swapped the stepper drives for some TB6600 drives I had laying around. After some wiring mishaps and 2 looooong nights, I got it all wired up and and powered.

I configured the CNC12 software for the router and struggled with the overall turns ratio. I started at 5 and when I commanded 1" of travel, I got 0.8". So I did the math and got 6.25 as my new ratio but that was way off. After lots of trial and error, I ended up a 5.095 on all axis and it it's pretty darn close, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....

So I did my first test cut and it went great until it stalled the steppers during the cut. I noticed that my I couldn't get some speed out of the steppers without stalling them. I tried to rapid at 150-200ipm but it would stall. I was cutting some MDF wood with a 4 flute 1/8" cutting at 40ipm and I stalled it curring one of the finishing cuts. I will post some more pictures and videos later this week of the rest of the machine and more updates. First ti need to get some rest and clean up the mess I left, and tidy up the loose ends. Any and comments or suggestions are always welcome! Thanks!
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Re: 2x3 CNC Router Acorn Build

Post by Gary Campbell »

Most of those machine use a 5mm pitch rolled ballscrew. Try 5.08 for a starting spot on the turns/inch

Math: 1" = 25.4mm 25.4 / 5 = 5.08
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Sword »

If you haven't, you might want to disconnect the ball screws from the slides and check them for any binding. They could be gummed up with old grease ans sawdust etc.

+1 on the 5.08.

What are the drivers "1234" switches set for? Try 1600 and set your steps per rev the same.
Scott
krissondors
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by krissondors »

Gary Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:45 am Most of those machine use a 5mm pitch rolled ballscrew. Try 5.08 for a starting spot on the turns/inch

Math: 1" = 25.4mm 25.4 / 5 = 5.08
I'll try that out, thanks!
I'm still kinda confused on the math... I thought I had to divide the travel requested (25.4mm) with the actual travel moved (20.32mm) and then multiply that by the current turns in the wizard so 1.25 x 5 turns. I know the math is wrong, I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting lost....
Sword wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 am If you haven't, you might want to disconnect the ball screws from the slides and check them for any binding. They could be gummed up with old grease ans sawdust etc.

+1 on the 5.08.

What are the drivers "1234" switches set for? Try 1600 and set your steps per rev the same.
Good idea, most likely there is a lot of friction on the rails and bearings. I'll disconnect the ball screw and see how much resistance there is.

I forgot to mention that, I set the dip switches for 1600 and also set it up in the wizard for 1600. I also set the drives for 4.0amp and each drive is supplied by its own 32v power supply.