Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Adding a 4th axis to my router

Post by bob.berner »

Hi, I"m researching adding a rotary axis to my Acorn CNC router. I have used a Rotary a ew years ago on a Legacy Maverick using conversational cam for the programing. Is it a similar process in the Acorn universe? Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction?
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Adding a 4th axis to my router

Post by suntravel »

With conversational Intercon you can only index the 4th axis.

For complex 4 axis programming I would use an CAM system like fusion 360.

Uwe
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

With conversational Intercon you can only index the 4th axis.
Not entirely true: you can include the rotary fourth axis in interpolated (Linear) moves as well, but you have to calculate the appropriate combined linear+angular feedrate yourself. See http://www.cncsnw.com/4thHowTo.htm

But as Uwe says, for anything more complex that a few lines or a spiral cut, you will definitely want a CAD/CAM system to do the computations for you.
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

bob.berner wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:37 am Hi, I"m researching adding a rotary axis to my Acorn CNC router. I have used a Rotary a ew years ago on a Legacy Maverick using conversational cam for the programing. Is it a similar process in the Acorn universe? Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction?
Bob...
If you are a Vectric user you can surely replicate everything that legacy's concam and much more with Vectrics VCPro or Aspire by entering positions, lengths and/or angles into the calculating input boxes.

I used to teach the method at seminars, but it seems users were more receptive to the cad methods so I quit in '18
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
bob.berner

Post by bob.berner »

Thanks guys,

The project I am considering is indeed very simple, basically a long taper on both ends of a long dowel. I just need to make hundreds of them. What do I need to buy for the 4 axis mechanism? Is it difficult to install? I am assuming a head stock and tail stock, a motor and motor controller. Is there a turnkey package out there? I know Avid CNC has one but don't know about the compatibility with Acorn since they use Mach3.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

bob.berner wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:44 am Thanks guys,

The project I am considering is indeed very simple, basically a long taper on both ends of a long dowel. I just need to make hundreds of them. What do I need to buy for the 4 axis mechanism? Is it difficult to install? I am assuming a head stock and tail stock, a motor and motor controller. Is there a turnkey package out there? I know Avid CNC has one but don't know about the compatibility with Acorn since they use Mach3.
the avid one will work with Acorn.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html