CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A54E0-0610203404
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Work Envelope and Tool Touch Off devices

Post by NovaStar »

Hi all
Now my machine seems to be running correctly, its time for the nitty gritty of my CNC journey.
Reading the Centroid Operators Manual about setting up a "Work Envelope", I have a couple of questions which I'm hoping someone could straighten out for me.
1. Can a work envelope be setup to be "permanent" within Acorn/CNC12?
2. How would you translate that to a CAM software?
3. (most importantly for me) can a permanent mounted Tool Touch Off device be mounted outside the work envelope and used at the time of tool changes? Where and how do you setup a "Tool Change/Tool checking" area of the machine which will only be used for this purpose?

Additional Info;
I have a movable probe (conductive) used for part edge and height measurements.
I have purchased ProbApp
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Work Envelope and Tool Touch Off devices

Post by cnckeith »

Right now there's two different types of work envelopes. There's an overall work envelope that is controlled with the software travel limits. Then there's a feature inside of CNC12 that allows you to make another work envelope that is smaller than that one. And yes that can be permanent if you want it to be. Most users don't because they change that work envelope based on whether they have a fixture on the machine that might only be used for a little while, etc. If you want to set up a permanent work envelope then I would just use the travel limits to control the maximum movement of each axis
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
NovaStar
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A54E0-0610203404
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Work Envelope and Tool Touch Off devices

Post by NovaStar »

Ok Keith
I'm using the Centroid M-Series Mill Operators Manual CNC Software Version: CNC12 Version 4.14 as reference and I did notice in the WCS setup the information about setting up a Work Envelope.
Also looking at probe setup documentation, but couldn't find the exact answer I needed.
Is there another document I should be looking at??
Right now seems all the info I need is there somewhere (maybe scattered around), but not all in one document.
Could you please point me in the right direction.

Little hesitant to start my first cut until I am sure that all the systems are good to go and I won't crash into anything. One thing to build the machine, totally different situation when running a CNC job, Now the CNC absolute novice is coming out :)