Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: acorn with an old shopbot

Post by luke »

I just went back to cnc 4.82 and that cleared up the Z issue I will now try to do the other things you suggested
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
CNC12: Yes

Post by suntravel »

luke wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:56 pm I just went back to cnc 4.82 and that cleared up the Z issue I will now try to do the other things you suggested
Why?

I have tested all beta version from 4.82 - 5.02, never had an issue with std axis.

Always do a fresh install, enter your settings by hand, never use restore report.

Keith made lots of videos how to upgrade, but even without, follow written upgrade instructions and done right it works ;)

Uwe
luke
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by luke »

I did that 2 different computers and both the Z would not respond to the buttons. So I uninstalled 5.2 and went back to 4.82 and the Z magically started to work. Even my Z zero program works now. I will be setting up my homing program later this week.
robtown
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA78F172-1129181385

Post by robtown »

I need to upgrade from 4.82 on my old PRT.

I’ll do that in the next week or two and let you know how it goes.
luke

Post by luke »

Why do you need to upgrade if it works don't fix it
robtown
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA78F172-1129181385

Post by robtown »

Because if I have an issue and I come here for help, that’s the first thing they’ll say?

After having to keep an old XP computer running for way longer than necessary or practical, just to be able to run the old Shopbot controller, I’m a big fan of keeping things current.
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

I just went back to cnc 4.82 and that cleared up the Z issue I will now try to do the other things you suggested
Proof that you had a setting or two wrong on v5.02 that was not wrong on v4.82
Why do you need to upgrade if it works don't fix it
Exactly! My daily driver is running a CNC12 v4.4xx Beta from early 2020. Works just fine. That said, it has been sold and I will be updating the software to the latest 5.0x version so that if the purchaser wishes to ask for assistance from the forum or Centroid, his machine is on the latest software, as the latest is the only version that is supported.

This is due to the fact that most incremental versions have minor bug fixes in them and if a user is experiencing an issue, the upgrade may fix it. AND IF the users issue is a result of an unknown "bug" it is mandatory that it be found and tested using the current release version.

So... if your machine is working well and like me, you are able to take care of your own issues, there is no reason to upgrade to the latest version, but if you wish to have forum or Centroid assistance, make sure that you are on the latest release version.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

fyi... v5.04 is coming by end of the week.

Draft release notes...

1.) Fixed Acorn Limit Switch defeat button functionality. (skin event number in the button xml was in inadvertently not updated in previous version v5.0/v5.02)

2.) Fixed Oak/Allin1DC/MPU11/Hickory VCP Aux 13-16 (the controlling CNC12 parameters were off by one) which were incorrectly configured.

3.) Fixed Acorn VCP button Mill Vac On/Off skin event number (skin event number in the button xml was inadvertently not updated in previous versions v5.0 & v5.02 )

4.) Added an all new DXF import “engine” for Plasma Intercon DXF import feature.

5.) Some Color picker additions the Plasma restart graphical menu. blue, red, and purple dots which represent the pick up point, jog off point, and interrupt point

6.) In the Utility menu “Create Report” now copies the Wizard generated Acorn/AcornSix ATC macros to the Report.zip file.

7.) Updated Skin call “GetMachineType” it will now also return “emulator” for offline use.

8.) In Acorn and AcornSix it is now possible to mix and match HomeAll with other HomeOk inputs for example:
and the Wizard generated home program will work using all of the defined homeok inputs in addition to HomeAll.

9.) Added auto detection skin call so AcornSix Wizard will auto detect the AcornSix Encoder Expansion Board. "IsENCEXP12Connected"

10.) Fixed M1 functionality which was broken in AcornSix, Oak, Allin1DC, Hickory, MPU11.

11.) Fixed M0 jogging which was enabled regardless of what Parameter 10 was set to.

12.) Moved the TT Fixed location from the ATC menu to the Tool Touch menu in the wizard.

13.) Added WCS Lockout Parameter to Lathe (parameter 426). WCS Lockout was previously only available in Mill/Router/Plasma and was controlled by parameter 45
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
luke

Post by luke »

Last night I ran a job and it ran it ok then I shut everything down. This morning I went to start up and I am getting this message. Unable to establish communication with Acorn. I am getting a heart beat and the steppers engage but can not talk to the Acorn.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

luke wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:41 am Last night I ran a job and it ran it ok then I shut everything down. This morning I went to start up and I am getting this message. Unable to establish communication with Acorn. I am getting a heart beat and the steppers engage but can not talk to the Acorn.
the message is telling you that cnc12 can't communicate with Acorn.

see this extensive post covering this subject.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html