Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Community input

Post by Vwfan »

So after taking the full journey on my precision Matthews acorn clear path conversion just waiting on some limit switches and a new VFD and she’ll be all buttoned up which that point I’ll probably be ready to sell it if anybody’s looking for one I have not cut any chips with it. but my end goal is a little bit of production work so I’m ready to purchase a larger machine

Just asking for any other CNC operators input I ran larger Haas Mills at my previous job. so I am familiar with the controls but anyway I have the chance to purchase a larger machine. just kind of wondering if anyone cares to put some input on which one they would pick

My two choices are

A 2001 VF2 with side tool changer and high speed machining

Or a 2004VF1 with umbrella style tool changer and forth access drive and wire

There was a few thousand dollars in cost in between the two but really not much just wondering if I really need the extra 10 inches of travel in it X
riggsp
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 5050
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Community input

Post by riggsp »

I've operated both VF-1 and VF-2 machines and the only real difference in the two basic machines is footprint size and work area. A 4th axis on a VF-1 uses up a lot of real estate and leaves only a little room on the table for a vise...it can be done, but it's crowded.
As far as choice, you are the only one that can pick the one best suited to you...do you have more rotary work or more stationary work.
I would opt for the larger machine with high speed machining turned on (if your CAM software supports HSM)...then if business calls for rotary machining, find a good used rotary or trunnion.
Just my opinion.