Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New Build: Axiom AR6 ProV5 to Acorn

Post by Sword »

You can also use one of the outputs/relays and set it to SpindleCoolingFan Output. It will come on/off with SpinFWD. If you want a bit of manual control mixed in with it, try the SpinBrake Output. It will come on/off with the spindle, and if the button for Spin Brake is on your VCP, you can also manually toggle it on/off (although the button LED is reversed unless you trick it with the button .xml file). .

The SpindleCooling Output is another way, and it can be activated either by a VCP Button or by M-Code command.

There's another better way, but takes some PLC changes.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8262
Scott
grossmsj
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by grossmsj »

Right now, simpler is better.
This is just a 12V fan that needs a contact closure. I like the Spin Brake idea because the Axiom spindle doesn't always need cooling. It's designed to operate fine with air cooling, but needs spindle cooling when you are pushing it (this, from Axiom).

I may have another question for you about 4th axis post processors, but I'm going to poke around a bit to see what I can learn first.
Thank you,
Scott
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Assigned SpinBrakeRelease to Output 5. When SpinFwd is initiated the spindle cooling pump and fan come on. Thanks Sword!

In the next few days I intend to put together a pin out assignment from the RichAuto A1x board controlling the stock Axiom into the Acorn board. That was the hardest part of this rebuild, aside from those parts I got help from the Centroid Community. I literally could not have done this without this community.

Chipwelder
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102139, 20D7787D9392-0817226460
CNC11: Yes

Post by Chipwelder »

Trying to turn my spindle on and off using preprogramed green and red buttons on VCP. I want to use just one OUTPUT and let the CNC12 program logic XOR it using those two buttons and OUTPUT5. I realize this is pretty basic but I am into about 6-7 posts with no one understanding what I am trying to do and understanding I am not a code monkey. Simple lke turning a fan on and off.
Thanks.
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

The preprogrammed green and red buttons will turn on/off the spindle if you have an output set for SpinFwd (or SpinRev). So in your case, Out5 would be set to SpinFwd. #5 ouput relay is then connected to your VFD's SpinFwd terminal along with a com connection. You must also have a parameter in the VFD set to accept external signals for starting the spindle. To get external rpm control, you'll also need to have the analog 0-10vdc connections made along with the related VFD parameters. Refer to your VFD manual for proper connections and parameters.

If that is all in place, you can start/stop the spindle manually by pressing Auto/Manual button "off" and then the green and red buttons. Alternatively, you can start/stop the spindle (Auto/Manual pressed back "on") in MDI with a command of M3 SXXXXX (X being the desired rpm value), and M5 to turn it off.

No coding involved, it's all been done for you behind the scenes by the professionals at Centroid.
Scott
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

There are some unexpected behaviors seen as I use the system more.
1) When I'm running a job I don't see the spindle speed. I see this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jJTfQfMSiy7wMFAV6

2) I've set up options.xml to use acorn_router_vcp_skin_diagonal. After I edit this, the diagonal skin runs. But often when I reboot the system options.xml is often switching to use acorn_router_vcp_skin. What am I doing wrong?

3) The system seems pretty stable on my network. I can readily move files onto/off of the cncm folder from anywhere on the network, and I can even view Acorn CNC12 running via Remote Desktop. But if I try to write a report to a network drive from within CNC12, it crashes. If the answer is "Then don't do that", fine. But I'm wondering if this is a known issue.

suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

1) If you set up in the Wizard show actual spindle speed, and no encoder installed, it will not show the spindle speed.

2) Select Custom VCP in the Wizard

Uwe
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Thank you Uwe!
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

2.) if you are manually changing things looks like you are in an arm wrestling match with the wizard. so set wizard to custom VCP if you are customizing it. easy peasy. (just realized Uwe answered this one, gonna have to put him on the payroll:-))
for anyone reading this...if you are using stock vcp and want diagonal jogging, that selection is in the wizard as well. so no need to customize to get diagonal jogging.

3.) for now, this falls into don't do that category.. work around ideas...
write it to a folder on the CNCPC and then set windows/network/backup software etc.. to copy contents to folder on another drive on the network or something like that.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html