CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New Build: Axiom AR6 ProV5 to Acorn

Post by grossmsj »

Got it! Spindle works now.
Problem was a wiring error at the VFD. I didn't notice that the terminal numbers and their assigned functions weren't the same as either the wiring diagram or numeric order. Terminal '12' (DIC) was after 0V, which was the 13th terminal. I couldn't discern this until I took some pictures on my phone and really enlarged them.
So contributing causes were "user's an idiot" and 'user has tired old eyes'
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
grossmsj
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by grossmsj »

Lol!
I have one of those!!
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Two problems with the spindle are evident:
1) Even though I have the Spindle setup Not limited to 5 volts, the spindle only goes to half the maximal spindle speed using VCP spindle controls. At 100% I get 12,000 rpm (half of 24,000 maximum). If I use M3 command S24000 I get 24000 rpm and 10 volts.
2) There is a soft surging in spindle speed and analog output voltage. At 5V An out, there is about +/- 0.2 swing, with a corresponding change in spindle RPMs.

tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The 100% button is half the maximum speed in manual mode, and 100% of the programmed speed when executing a program. All explained in the manual.

For the surging, you can try a 0.1µF capacitor across the analog output of the Acorn.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

I have capacitors ordered Tom. I see that is a general fix for this phenomenon. Since I'm so new to this, I didn't want to overlook something else. I've also grounded the shield for these cables, to no effect.
Thank you,
Scott
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

This rebuild is just about complete. Still cleaning up little bits and taking out stuff from the original Axiom build that doesn't have a use anymore. For example, the Axiom's Emergency Stop doesn't do anything now. Seems sort of dangerous to have a kill switch that doesn't do anything.

Everything seems to be working okay. I'm doing some extended burn in tests with air cutting to see how things are working overall.

The to-do list includes putting the cap on the 10V analog output to hopefully fix the mild VFD and spindle ramping. It seems I'll need a macro to trigger the spindle cooler when the SpinFWD turns on. I can turn it on with real-time I/O screen for now. Swissi has been great to work with getting the Probe App installed and working optimally.
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

grossmsj wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:19 pm This rebuild is just about complete. Still cleaning up little bits and taking out stuff from the original Axiom build that doesn't have a use anymore. For example, the Axiom's Emergency Stop doesn't do anything now. Seems sort of dangerous to have a kill switch that doesn't do anything.

Everything seems to be working okay. I'm doing some extended burn in tests with air cutting to see how things are working overall.

The to-do list includes putting the cap on the 10V analog output to hopefully fix the mild VFD and spindle ramping. It seems I'll need a macro to trigger the spindle cooler when the SpinFWD turns on. I can turn it on with real-time I/O screen for now. Swissi has been great to work with getting the Probe App installed and working optimally.
keep posting fresh report.zip files so we can follow along on any configuration changes you made etc.. update your photo album with new photos etc.. that way we can give you good advice. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

The capacitor across the 10V analog output completely fixed the mild surge. Very steady spindle speeds now.

The rotary 4th axis is installed and working. This is the Axiom 4th-Axis Rotary kit (ARK360). It's really quite slow as it works on the Axiom. But with adjustments and better control via Acorn it is now fast enough to suit me. It will never be lathe speed, of course, but it can do a full rotation in 4 seconds which is plenty fast enough for what it needs to do (re-indexing to zero without a load). It will be interesting to see if there will be adequate torque at that speed. The indexing function is also working.

I need to find a way to turn on spindle cooling. What is the best way to do this? I suppose I could wire the output so when the SpinFWD closes the output to the spindle cooling turns on. Or, I could do this through a macro somehow (M94/31?). I guess it would also be possible to write it into the post processor. Is there a standard way of doing this?
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The easiest way to handle your spindle cooling is with auxiliary contacts on your spindle contactor.

Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.