CNC Control System Serial Number: 0CB2B7D9220B-1113203953
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Build Thread - Acorn DIY 5'x10' CNC Mod

Post by seeheartouch »

ShawnM -
You're right about the model not being in the manual, sorry - we have two physical manuals here, one that came w the first VFD, one that came w the second. We're generally using these and have found no particular differences in the relevant settings - I've photographed the page relevant to the jumpers and just attached it here and posted lso to Google Photos album for clarity. Our is set to jump 1-2 so we're using the suggested settings but still, no dice.

M3S6000 - I sent this command to the VFD and, yes, it does comes on but it simply goes to full speed, 18,000 rpms, not the 6,000 as expected. I sent multiple commands with varying rpms and always the spindle goes to 18K rpms.

I now understand that PD002 should be 1 based on the discussion here but I swear we had ours set to 2 in our orig setup and were not sending run commands thru the relay board...how it all worked is beyond me. Before, we when the VFD powered up, we would have to press RUN on the vfd interface, then load a file and cycle start and it would control the speed as expected.

Regardless, all wiring and settings are current and verified based on our discussion here...
Attachments
IMG_4936.JPG
Artist and Educator
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

seeheartouch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm M3S6000 - I sent this command to the VFD and, yes, it does comes on but it simply goes to full speed, 18,000 rpms, not the 6,000 as expected. I sent multiple commands with varying rpms and always the spindle goes to 18K rpms.
When you did this and the spindle came on did you try to turn the pot on the VFD to see if it was active?

Did you do the spindle bench test per the install manual? Verified ALL voltages were correct?
seeheartouch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm Before, we when the VFD powered up, we would have to press RUN on the vfd interface, then load a file and cycle start and it would control the speed as expected.
This is because you didn't wire the SpinFWD signal through the Acorn. You manually turned it on before where as now the Acorn can turn it on.
seeheartouch

Post by seeheartouch »

Sorry for the delay in following up, my laptop died and I lost my lengthier reply.

The manual I have in hand is correct and has our model number in it - I hadn't noticed the differentiation but the pdf manual and physical one are indistinguishable as far as I can tell.

In short, I now understand why Pd002 needs to be "1" but this and ALL of the settings you note above are the current settings I'm using.

I used the MDI to send the M3S6000 command - yes this works but the spindle speed is still only the full speed of 18k rpms instead of the expected 6,000. I tried other variations and tested the voltage output from Acorn board to the VFD and the voltage is as expected, i.e. M3S9000 is 4.9v, etc. but spindle still at full speed no matter the command.

We haven't updated to the latest CNC version so I was thinking of doing that next, perhaps gaining better control with that step but always reluctant to update software until it's been out for a while...
Artist and Educator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Once again .....
seeheartouch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm M3S6000 - I sent this command to the VFD and, yes, it does comes on but it simply goes to full speed, 18,000 rpms, not the 6,000 as expected. I sent multiple commands with varying rpms and always the spindle goes to 18K rpms.
When you did this and the spindle came on did you try to turn the pot on the VFD to see if it was active?

Did you do the spindle bench test per the install manual? Verified ALL voltages were correct?
seeheartouch wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm Before, we when the VFD powered up, we would have to press RUN on the vfd interface, then load a file and cycle start and it would control the speed as expected.
This is because you didn't wire the SpinFWD signal through the Acorn. You manually turned it on before where as now the Acorn can turn it on.

You need to update software to 4.82 as this is the current version and free support has ended for older versions. We all need to be using the same software for proper trouble shooting.
seeheartouch

Post by seeheartouch »

Thanks all...Sorry for the tardy reply, laptop died in the middle of my long reply and then the flu so will try to be direct and brief.

- Manual - sorry for this oversight...we have TWO identical physical manuals here and I've yet to notice any distinction between the physical and digital versions except for what you helpfully point out. However, I did photo the page you reference and uploaded that here and in the Google Photo album for ref.
- I now fully understand why Pd002 needs to be set to "1" (although we've tried every possible combination)
- Pd001 is also set to "1"
- The J1 jumper is set jumping 1-2
- MDI command - I am able to send the MDI manual command to the vfd and it starts and runs BUT always at fill rpms (18K) not at the specified rpm, 6000 in the example command you shared. I sent several other versions of the same command with different speeds and get the spindle running but always at full rpms. I've verified that the VFD is getting the correct voltage by measuring the voltage at the board terminals and am getting the correct voltage (e.g. M3S6000 gives me 3.3v, M3S9000 gives me 5v etc.
- VI and ACM wiring is correct, the voltage is going into VI and common is into ACM
- FWD and DCM wiring is correct as well
- Freshly updated Windows OS
- Updated CNC12 to new version, updated all settings - same issue persists
Attachments
Manual Page.JPG
Artist and Educator
seeheartouch

Post by seeheartouch »

ALSO:
Yes, I tested the VFD display pot and no control there.
Yes, we did the spindle bench test, everything checked out for correlated voltages
SPinFWD - Correct, this was an oversight that has since been corrected in our troubleshooting, thanks again.
Artist and Educator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Did you try the jumper inside the VFD in BOTH position regardless of what the manual reads?

I'm thinking you've probably tried so many variables with the parameters on the VFD it might be a good idea to reset the VFD to factory settings and ONLY change what's needed. If you don't understand what the setting is for don't change it. Don't over think all the parameters and leave the factory settings alone. I've never opened a VFD that didn't work right out of the box after ONLY setting up the voltage and motor parameters. I could always control the motor with the pot on the VFD or the buttons (not all VFD's have the pot) after only setting a handful of parameters. After that I simply change one or two parameters to have the Acorn's signal control the VFD.
seeheartouch

Post by seeheartouch »

We have reset it more than once but nothing wrong with starting once again so I guess we'll do that and update when we know something more, thx.
Artist and Educator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I went back and looked at your VFD setting from your first post that you "updated" and then stepped through them one by one. In the "parameter function list 1" starting on page 19 of your posted manual, if you go down to PD072 and PD073 on page 22 they have them listed as:

PD072 - (Lower Analog Frequency)
PD073 - (Higher Analog Frequency)

Then if you go to page 44 of that same manual which is the "detail description of parameters" they have them listed as:

PD072 - (Higher Analog Frequency)
PD073 - (Lower Analog Frequency)

They are backwards from each other in the same manual which could be why when your spindle comes on it goes to the max setting of 18,000 or 300Hz. You have the "lower analog frequency" set to 300 which should be zero. Try reversing PD072 and PD073 and try again.

Let us know what happens.
seeheartouch

Post by seeheartouch »

You have the eagle eye ShawnM, wow - that was it!

(sorry for the long tardy reply, I thought I had replied but was logged out and didn't realize it at the time...)

Thanks all for their help, we're up and running as expected, finally 👌🏼
Artist and Educator