acorn is suddenly freaking out and doing weird things where do I start? please help <resolved, loose plug>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

playerofpawns1
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E062347D88BB-0505214750
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

acorn is suddenly freaking out and doing weird things where do I start? please help <resolved, loose plug>

Post by playerofpawns1 »

I am having so many errors now with my centroid acorn mill setup, and before it had no errors. you were all talking about needing to have the AC servo driver for the spindle needing to always be powered on. I don't have the enable setup for my spindle servo, and sometimes I need to turn the spindle by hand and so I turn off the driver for the servo and turn the spindle by hand then turn it back on, and now I am getting quadrature errors, and the acorn is also quite often; freaking out and doing weird things like shutting down the y axis in the middle of a program. quite often it does not recognize the probe also. when I first start up acorn it usually goes into this funny behavior where it starts messing up, and I restart acorn and cnc12 and sometimes it starts acting right for a while then it starts messing up again when I raise or lower the rpm and feed rate it does not like that and starts messing up again.
I wonder if maybe I can reinstall cnc 12 and start fresh if that will fix it? I don't even know where to look for the problem, or what to check. I'm using a dell optiplex with an i7 processor and 4 gigs of ram, maybe that is the problem is too low of RAM, I bet that's it. I am also not using an SSD but regular hard drive. 1 terabit and I only use the computer for acorn only and it's not on the internet. maybe I could get an SSD and more RAM and reinstall cnc 12 fresh? it was working perfectly then all of a sudden it started messing up.

here is how I have my setup, not sure which schematic I followed when I loaded something that was close to what my setup uses, I am using KL 5056 drivers for the nema 23 570 oz for the x and y axis and stepperonline DM 860T for the 1200 oz z axis.

KBSI 240D ground signal isolator and relays to switch polarity of the 0-10 volt analog signal for the 1.8KW AC spindle servo which has the encoder inside of it. it's a really simple setup.
as you can see; I have a bunch of power supplies inside the enclosure so maybe that is giving me a lot of EMF being so close to the acorn.

also before, I had the AC spindle servo driver wires strung down to the floor and now they are coiled up and hung on the wall.

also before, I had the driver a foot higher on the wall and was not using 4 locking 220 volt plugs to connect the power supply wire.

I am not sure why adjusting rpm and feedrate causes the acorn to stop being able to move the y axis.

I am using Joytokey program for my remote control but I used that before without any noticeable problems.

should I send a report? I am not sure how that works because I have never asked for help using a report yet, and I do know how to load and save a report.

I have also thought of that maybe because I use a thumb drive to load my g-code files; that maybe I brought a virus into my cnc computer from my other computer that I suspect might be susceptible to a virus because I use the internet with it.

so my guess is to get a SSD and an 8GB ram card and test and see if it fixes the problem, but it worked fine before with only 4 GB of RAM and a regular HD.

also maybe completely reinstall windows fresh into the HD and all updates then reinstall cnc12 and start fresh and see if that fixes it?

any help will be truly appreciated. I will list more characteristics of the extremely odd behavior that acorn is doing.
Attachments
DSCF0029.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: acorn is suddenly freaking out and doing weird things where do I start? please help

Post by ShawnM »

Post a current report so we can look at your error log and other settings. Seeing that you have no shielded wires in your cabinet I'm guessing a noise issue to start.

From the main screen in CNC12 press F7 - utilities then press F7 -create report. Save this ZIP file to your desktop or thumb drive and then attach this ZIP file to your next post.
PrestonE
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F30A0B-1125204139

Re: acorn is suddenly freaking out and doing weird things where do I start? please help

Post by PrestonE »

Ok, you state that before Coiling the extra Control wires you did Not have this Problem.

Avoid wiring loops coming off of devices - as they are Great Antennas for Receiving noise or for transmitting noise!

Run wires along a ground plane...

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/integ ... iring.html

Best Regards,

Preston
playerofpawns1

Post by playerofpawns1 »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:30 am Post a current report so we can look at your error log and other settings. Seeing that you have no shielded wires in your cabinet I'm guessing a noise issue to start.

From the main screen in CNC12 press F7 - utilities then press F7 -create report. Save this ZIP file to your desktop or thumb drive and then attach this ZIP file to your next post.
Attachments
report_E062347D88BB-0505214750_2022-11-27_15-34-01.zip
thank you for helping me.
(807.44 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
playerofpawns1

Post by playerofpawns1 »

PrestonE wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:42 am Ok, you state that before Coiling the extra Control wires you did Not have this Problem.

Avoid wiring loops coming off of devices - as they are Great Antennas for Receiving noise or for transmitting noise!

Run wires along a ground plane...

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/integ ... iring.html

Best Regards,

Preston
I strung the wires back to hanging down and moved the wire further from the EMI filter on the wall. here is the switch box showing how its mounted with the plugs for both lathe and mill switch-over before those wires were on the floor. I wonder if I should have more EMI filters on the 220 volt cables, maybe they are emitting EMI like antennas.
Attachments
DSCF0094.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
playerofpawns1

Post by playerofpawns1 »

picture of EMI filter on driver
Attachments
DSCF0095.JPG
playerofpawns1

Post by playerofpawns1 »

thank you so much guys for helping me, your advice on what to look for concerning my setup may save me from big problems if I go over everything and make important changes, I sure appreciated it.

I just found a huge problem that I overlooked... well, to tell you the whole story; I live in an old house 2 bedroom apartment and in this little back room I have my hobby shop but every year I have housing inspections and I have a beautiful wooden walnut stained and polyurethaned cover that goes over the lathe to make it look like furniture, and I disassemble my mill and put it under my bed because I enjoy my privacy, and I don't want anyone telling me that I can not have anything fun to do in my house because of their opinions of my activities. so, this year I had added the new better 220 volt cable with the locking plugs and coiled the wired and hung them neatly.

So here's something I found that could well be a huge problem; I was looking at how close the encoder plug wire was to the 220volt connections on the EMI filter and; what I found was that the grey plug was barely plugged in, and the screws were not screwed in at all.

LOL well darn it; I must have forgot LOL.

Think that makes a difference LOL???? I will test the mill again and do everything it hates and see if it still freaks out.

Also, I want to correct everything that anyone can find wrong with my setup and I am reading that article about EMI and wiring today and going to add complete shielding inside the enclosure.

Any opinions on reloading cnc12 and starting fresh??
Any opinions on upgrading to SSD??
Any opinions on upgrading RAM from 4GB to 8GB?? This Dell Optiplex 7010 I7 can utilize 4-8GB RAM cards giving it 32GB of RAM but that is expensive and I'm thinking that it's an over-kill. the lathe has the same type of computer with the I7 processor but it has an SSD and 8GB of RAM in it, and it works really well.

Thanks so much, I am learning about acorn thanks to you all.

p.s. I moved the encoder wire further from the AC power connections on the EMI filter. and needless to say; I pushed the grey encoder plug all the way in and screwed the screws tightly, I bet the screws are the grounding for the shielding in the encoder cable.
Attachments
DSCF0096.JPG
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

There were a lot of encoder errors in your error log so you may have found the problem.

I would recommend a SSD over a HDD any day and if you can upgrade to 8GB ram that would be plenty.
playerofpawns1

Post by playerofpawns1 »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:25 pm There were a lot of encoder errors in your error log so you may have found the problem.

I would recommend a SSD over a HDD any day and if you can upgrade to 8GB ram that would be plenty.
ok, I understand that there were a lot of encoder error codes, I need to make another coupler for the x axis so that will give me the opportunity to run the mill and see if I get more encoder errors.

I will order an 8GB RAM card and an SSD and install them then just load the same report config back into the new SSD and let you know what results I get just as soon as I get them.

thanks very much.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Hopefully you got it sorted out. Remember to create a current report AND take screen shots of all the wizard pages before you switch over to the SSD. The screen shots are a fail safe backup.