Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn SIX Build

Post by BDubs »

Well kids...I've bit my tongue long enough. Acorn SIX is here! https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html

This past year I have been testing the Acorn SIX on my imported 4x8 CNC router. Just like any other hack in the proverbial gifted class, I've removed everything from the machine with a wire on it and pitched it in the trash. I guess some are happy with running the original electronics and Mach3 - but who in their right mind would install 20 year old software on a new machine?!

Acorn 4 is a great system and I could have used it on this machine, but Acorn SIX brings a number of additional features to the table that I wanted to take advantage of. First, it can control up to 6 axes independently vs four on the standard Acorn. This gives me the ability to setup independent X motors for gantry squaring, plus a rotary axis, plus a 2nd spindle should I want to add another one - without giving up anything. With Acorn 4, you have to decide whether you want independent axis squaring OR a rotary...you don't get both. In addition to this, SIX has 3 encoder inputs, more I/O than standard Acorn, two PWM outputs for lasers etc. PLUS a LOT more. Acorn SIX is a totally different board than Acorn 4. It is essentially a hybrid of Centroid's industrial line of controllers, with the simplicity of the Acorn 4 when it comes to setup etc. Same familiar Wizard setup routine, but with more options like stuff for ATC etc.

A tip of the hat to Gary Campbell of GCNC for doing an excellent job building my control panels. I gave him the sizes, specs and it was literally a drop-in deal. I've built plenty of controllers in the past, but Gary does such a nice job at a fair price that it would have been dumb to do it myself - unless of course, I wanted it to cost more and take longer to build just to have another feather in my cap...Nope!

This machine is outfitted with the following parts: Clearpath NEMA 34 Servos & Power Supplies, HSD ES915 5HP ATC spindle & Hitachi WJ200 VFD w/Sensorless Vector Control, 10 station pneumatic/retracting tool bar (so dust foot doesn't smack it @ 96"), Oiling system converted to grease (zerks), Coil springs on Z converted to pneumatic counterbalancers, Original 'one size fits nobody' vacuum grid/t-track system removed in favor of custom machined grid and Becker VTLF250 pump w/pneumatic actuated zones - and more...I still have a few more finishing touches to do before I'm 100% into production, but I'm absolutely loving yet another Centroid controlled machine!

You can have a look at the build pics via my Google Album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pnggR3WsM9wNC7Vv7

-Brady
Brady Watson | IBILD Solutions | Production Consultant | HiDef 3D Laser Scanning | Vectric Custom Video Training | IBILD.com
gerald martin
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Acorn SIX Build

Post by gerald martin »

Well done Brady and a powerhouse CNC. Yes Gary always does an amazing job!
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
CNC12: Yes

Post by suntravel »

Nice router, and a very clean build cabinet.

Do you have a video with the machine running at speed?

Uwe
BDubs

Post by BDubs »

Not yet but soon...This is a Chinese machine and it's too short to fit my big honkin Becker Vacuum pump underneath it...So, I'm in the process of jacking it up with some 6x6 square tubing and welding them on. Machine is literally up on jack stands at the moment! :)
Brady Watson | IBILD Solutions | Production Consultant | HiDef 3D Laser Scanning | Vectric Custom Video Training | IBILD.com