The AcornSix CNC controller kit has been released!

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: The AcornSix CNC controller kit has been released!

Post by cnckeith »

skipper616 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:42 pm This scale input for position correction is really interesting so can more info about it be posted? Like how often/when this correction is applied and would it work for more than 3 axis (ie, when the additional axis support is out).

Also, I'm confused with this note about "lifetime licenses": does this mean that if CNC12 v6.x comes out, the existing Pro and Ultimate licenses will not work (since this note specifically mentions v5.xx). Are there already hardware upgrades planned for AcornSix thus this specific note?

* Note: Pro, and Ultimate License files are "lifetime licenses" and will always work with the CNC12 version number they were sold with for example, any license purchased now will work with the current beta (v4.99) and then also work with the to be released official version of AcornSix CNC12 which will be numbered v5.0 and then any subsequent v5.xx releases.
Scale Axis position correction works with all six axes on AcornSix (and up to eight with Oak)

Correction is working all the time, our scale correction algorithm applies the correction as needed in a way that results in smooth motion.

Lifetime License = its not a subscription, it doesn't expire, you own it, does not require a internet connection, it doesn't call home. It is paired with the CNC Hardware (Acorn/AcornSix/Oak/Allin1DC etc).

Historically Centroid is very generous on its software feature licensing especially compared to modern day subscription schemes, monthly, yearly or otherwise. For instance if you would have purchased Acorn serial #1 back in August of 2017 and bought a Mill Pro License file at that time. That very same license file works with todays software. Over that time there has been no cost to Acorn Users to get literally 1000's of big and small improvements in CNC software over that time period.

I made that statement as to reassure any early adopters that the license file they buy now will work on future releases of CNC12 v5.0 plus

That being said at some point we need to make a few bucks to keep the lights on so, there will be a small cost to upgrading CNC12 software to a new version in the future.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tblough »

skipper616 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:42 pm ...would it work for more than 3 axis (ie, when the additional axis support is out).
You have three encoder ports on the Acorn6 to do with what you want. That's scales on three axis, or a spindle encoder and scales on two axis with the base Acorn6. Add the encoder expansion board and you have a total of 9 encoder ports to mix and match as you choose.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Black Forest
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Black Forest »

How will the you handle running legacy builds regarding support? If my software is doing everything I need it to then upgrading to a later version would not be necessary. As it stands now support on this forum is for the latest version of the software. Will you suspend that requirement?
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Black Forest wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:29 pm How will the you handle running legacy builds regarding support? If my software is doing everything I need it to then upgrading to a later version would not be necessary. As it stands now support on this forum is for the latest version of the software. Will you suspend that requirement?
hello.

Advertised Free Factory Support requires the user to be running the latest released versions of CNC12.

It unreasonable to put the requirement on us to support older versions of software for free forever. I have a good memory but i can't remember all the bugs and gotcha's and limitations of older software like cncsnw can. :D Users are welcome to run what ever version they like for as long as they like. but, if a user has an issue and is running old cnc software and wants free Factory Support it is at our discretion to help for free (if its an easy one), OR ask the user to pay for one-on-one support with Factory CNC tech at the outrageous ;) price of $90/hr, and/or upgrade to the latest version of CNC12 to be running the latest and greatest so any known bugs in the previous versions have been eliminated and new features added so there will be a quick resolution to the issue.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
slodat

Post by slodat »

In the spirit of this conversation, I'm not running the latest CNC12 on one of my machines because it works great and I haven't had the time/need to upgrade.. On another, I have the latest because it solved an issue I was having..
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

That's the way it works. If you are not having problems, then run whatever version you are happy with. If you are having problems, update to the latest version. If the problem still exists after updating, post your problem and a report and help will be given.

Not a big ask in return for free support.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

New Versions are not only bugfixes, you get also new goodies making the workflow faster....

Hey the Centroid staff works hard to improve the products for us (and sure to keep an edge over the competition to make money)
so what we as users can do is to run the new versions and give feedback, win win for both ends ;)

Uwe
Black Forest

Post by Black Forest »

tblough wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:17 pm That's the way it works. If you are not having problems, then run whatever version you are happy with. If you are having problems, update to the latest version. If the problem still exists after updating, post your problem and a report and help will be given.

Not a big ask in return for free support.
What Keith wrote says you will have to pay for version upgrades in the future and if you don't pay you don't get support on this forum from Centroid. Something about that doesn't taste right to me.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

No free support from Centroid on old versions, but from users in the forum....

... that is a lot more than on any other DIY CNC I know and support for professional CNC is in Germany, well really expensive.

Uwe
slodat

Post by slodat »

Black Forest wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:17 pm What Keith wrote says you will have to pay for version upgrades in the future and if you don't pay you don't get support on this forum from Centroid. Something about that doesn't taste right to me.
Where did Keith say that? I’m not seeing it.