The AcornSix CNC controller kit has been released!

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

MaloyAircraft
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: The AcornSix CNC controller kit has been released!

Post by MaloyAircraft »

cnckeith wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:06 pm
MaloyAircraft wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:26 am
cnckeith wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:00 pm

Don,
Hello.
sounds like a great project.
Yes, Acornsix even allows two axes to be paired so for example the X axis can have two motors and the Y axis can have two motor driving it.
The AcornSix CNC controller Wizard provides easy setup configuration for axes pairing, simply select which drive port you want paired with which one etc.. the axis compensation values are also in the Wizard, steps per rev, and overall turns ratio (pitch of screw and belt ratio of motor to screw) along with backlash compensation. in Centroid's CNC software there is also optional ballscrew mapping you can set these values manually or with a laser. -Keith

Keith,

Thank you for the response and answer to my question about the capabilities of the Acornsix. Do you have any suggestions for reading material such as textbooks or articles in regards to the mechanics of design for the 5 axis CNC mechanical design?

I have purchased “Three axis trimming and machining: The five axis router “ by K.J. Susnjara, however it does not provide technical details. The book is more of a general discussion format between an advisor (author) and a potential machine owner in regards to design.

I feel confident on handling the kinematics of the design process, however some literature on what to watch out for would be great.

Thanks,
Don Maloy
Don,
hello. i wish i had time to write a book like that! :-)
im sure if you post any specific question here on the forum the brain trust will give you some opinions and guidance.
Keith,
Thank you for the support. Look forward to tackling this task.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

v4.99 for Acornsix rev6 is now available.
more info here.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8439
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
CNC12: Yes

Post by suntravel »

occustoms wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:51 pm
slodat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:22 am With the encoder inputs, will AcornSix allow closed loop on servos like the DMM DYN4?
Waiting to see if if its closed loop (tuneable) capable too. That might be the deal breaker for me if not.
I can confirm now closed loop works and is easy to tune. I have set this up today on my lathe. Cheap Aikron 1µm scale with RS422. DB9 needs to be rewired to match Acorns pinout.

Uwe
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

suntravel wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:42 pm
occustoms wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:51 pm
slodat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:22 am With the encoder inputs, will AcornSix allow closed loop on servos like the DMM DYN4?
Waiting to see if if its closed loop (tuneable) capable too. That might be the deal breaker for me if not.
I can confirm now closed loop works and is easy to tune. I have set this up today on my lathe. Cheap Aikron 1µm scale with RS422. DB9 needs to be rewired to match Acorns pinout.

Uwe
cool, can't wait for the details on this one!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Since closed loop with digital scales works can we home to scale Z pulse?. If not, can we home to home switch and move back to closest Z pulse?
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

PeterC wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:10 am Since closed loop with digital scales works can we home to scale Z pulse?. If not, can we home to home switch and move back to closest Z pulse?
looking into this.
guitarchitect

Post by guitarchitect »

I'm a CNC newb so my apologies if this is pretty basic stuff - but what constitutes an Axis? Is it assumed this is a motor?

Reason I ask is that I will be setting up a CNC lathe with a spindle servo (1), x-axis (2), z-axis (3). I'll hopefully be able to work with the spindle as a c-axis through the use of an encoder which would also allow for threading - would the encoder be a fourth axis? an added feature I'm hoping to have is dual handwheel MPGs so that I can drive the lathe by handwheel without needing to switch axes on the pendant MPG - is it correct to assume this would be done via USB + software, or would these also be considered axes?
centroid467
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

An axis is not necessarily a single motor. There is software pairing that uses separate outputs on the controller to control two motors that cause travel in the same direction and allows autosquaring. You can also do hardware pairing by wiring multiple drives to the same output. This sends the same step and direction signals to both. However, you will most likely not have to worry about that with your system.

For your lathe, you would end up with X as axis 1, Z as axis 2, and spindle as C axis will be number 3. Spindle will only count as an axis when used in C axis mode. AcornSix has 3 built in encoder ports so you will not need the encoder expansion board if you are only using spindle encoder and the dual handwheels.
PLData
CNC Control System Serial Number: many boards

Post by PLData »

Hi,
Is it possible to external control AcorneSix from a user HMI interface or a PLC program with select the NC program there is to be run on the AcornSix, and receive the values to set offset, variables and axis travel data for automations use

/PLData
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.