The AcornSix CNC controller kit has been released!

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

MaloyAircraft
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: The AcornSix CNC controller kit has been released!

Post by MaloyAircraft »

Hello everyone,

I just noticed that the AcornSix has been released. I had a a quick question if someone might be able to provide a brief response I would be greatly thankful.

Does the controller provide the ability to drive one axis with two servomotors? If so, how does it provide a compensation table for the linear motion?

I just purchased a Haas TM-2P and would like to use this initial machine to construct a five axis gantry for machining large molds (20’ travels). Commercial options appear to be out of my price range.

Thanks in advance,
Don Maloy
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
CNC12: Yes

Post by suntravel »

Yes you can pair two servos for one axis and you have a autosquare feature for gantrys.

Uwe
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

You can do hardware pairing where the step and direction signals from one axis connector are fed to two motor drives, or you can do software pairing as Uwe mentions above. Hardware pairing uses only one axis on the Acorn.

Software pairing requires a Pro or Ultimate license and gives you the ability to auto-square your gantry using homing switches by driving each motor as a separate axis. It therefore uses up two axis on the Acorn.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

MaloyAircraft wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:15 am Hello everyone,

I just noticed that the AcornSix has been released. I had a a quick question if someone might be able to provide a brief response I would be greatly thankful.

Does the controller provide the ability to drive one axis with two servomotors? If so, how does it provide a compensation table for the linear motion?

I just purchased a Haas TM-2P and would like to use this initial machine to construct a five axis gantry for machining large molds (20’ travels). Commercial options appear to be out of my price range.

Thanks in advance,
Don Maloy
Don,
Hello.
sounds like a great project.
Yes, Acornsix even allows two axes to be paired so for example the X axis can have two motors and the Y axis can have two motor driving it.
The AcornSix CNC controller Wizard provides easy setup configuration for axes pairing, simply select which drive port you want paired with which one etc.. the axis compensation values are also in the Wizard, steps per rev, and overall turns ratio (pitch of screw and belt ratio of motor to screw) along with backlash compensation. in Centroid's CNC software there is also optional ballscrew mapping you can set these values manually or with a laser. -Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Thanks in advance,
Don Maloy
Don,
Hello.
Yes, Acornsix even allows two axes to be paired so for example the X axis can have two motors and the Y axis can have two motor driving it.
The AcornSix CNC controller Wizard provides easy setup configuration for axes pairing, simply select which drive port you want paired with which one etc.. the axis compensation values are also in the Wizard, steps per rev, and overall turns ratio (pitch of screw and belt ratio of motor to screw) along with backlash compensation. in Centroid's CNC software there is also optional ballscrew mapping you can set these values manually or with a laser. -Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Acorn's are running a bunch of "large" machines.
acorn_large.jpg
Acorn and Delta Servos
acorn large pac.jpg
Acorn and Yaskawa Servos
acorn large mark.jpg
Acorn and Estun Servos
acorn large adam.jpg
Acorn and Delta Servos
MaloyAircraft
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by MaloyAircraft »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:00 pm

Thanks in advance,
Don Maloy
Don,
Hello.

Keith,

Thank you for the response and answer to my question about the capabilities of the Acornsix. Do you have any suggestions for reading material such as textbooks or articles in regards to the mechanics of design for the 5 axis CNC mechanical design?

I have purchased “Three axis trimming and machining: The five axis router “ by K.J. Susnjara, however it does not provide technical details. The book is more of a general discussion format between an advisor (author) and a potential machine owner in regards to design.

I feel confident on handling the kinematics of the design process, however some literature on what to watch out for would be great.

Thanks,
Don Maloy
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

MaloyAircraft wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:26 am
cnckeith wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:00 pm

Thanks in advance,
Don Maloy
Don,
Hello.

Keith,

Thank you for the response and answer to my question about the capabilities of the Acornsix. Do you have any suggestions for reading material such as textbooks or articles in regards to the mechanics of design for the 5 axis CNC mechanical design?

I have purchased “Three axis trimming and machining: The five axis router “ by K.J. Susnjara, however it does not provide technical details. The book is more of a general discussion format between an advisor (author) and a potential machine owner in regards to design.

I feel confident on handling the kinematics of the design process, however some literature on what to watch out for would be great.

Thanks,
Don Maloy
Don,
hello. i wish i had time to write a book like that! :-)
im sure if you post any specific question here on the forum the brain trust will give you some opinions and guidance.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

I believe there is no optimal 5 axis design for all tasks, that depends on the parts you want to make.

Uwe
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Bear in mind that 5 axis CAM (toolpath generation) is pretty complex - and any CAM software that will generate 5 axis toolpaths is VERY expensive. TBH, I suspect there will be relatively few 5 axis machines using Acorn controls, either as retrofits or new builds. Not meaning to disrespect what is a fantastic system but I suspect that's the reality in the market for these products. If I'm right, it would be difficult to justify the significant cost of developing these capabilities against the potential benefits (ie sales in the target market).