Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: IPGregory Build and Progress Thread

Post by ShawnM »

Glad to help. keep us posted on your progress.
IPGregory
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D7787C45AB-0819226470 - 98F07B6F97F8-0623237343

Post by IPGregory »

Will do. Thanks

For the forum, to set some tone/parameters, I am not a machinist of course and don't know what I don't know. This is a hobby machine being built on a somewhat limited budget to use for occasional home projects and computer panels, watercooling parts, etc.

The machine is an evolution of the OpenBuilds/XXXBee designs with ballscrews, linear rails and an upgraded X Gantry. But still a Chinese sourced machine with copy parts and made of aluminum extrusions. I know it will have some limitations and there will be parts (like the drivers and the rails/bearings, etc.) I will want to upgrade in time, but those upgrades will be on a gradual and as needed basis. For now, I am drinking from the fire hose trying to research/learn as much as I can to build it as best I can within the limitations of what it is and the budget.

All of that said, I had a basic plan on how to set up/align the machine in my head going in. cnckieth early in the thread kindly posted a link to a granite surfacing block and I have been scratching my head ever since trying to work out what/how I would use it? It has a known flat surface, but not a known flat base or sides/angles. So not sure how it's used for leveling and/or squaring?

My plan going in was to align the base by using corner to comer and side to side measurements to get it close to square (it is now to within a fraction of a mm). I put casters on the bench to allow moving it about during the build/set up but plan to add leveling feet and put it in a final location and level it with a bubble level when it's time to set the machine up finally. Once the bench is level, I will use the same bubble level to level the bed and the side rails as close as I can using the leveling feet I installed to account for the variances of the bench top. With the base flat, level and square to my limits then the machine is limited on the X Gantry and Z Assembly adjustment as there is only very slight ability to adjust them. They are fixed by the holes/bolts holding them together and there is very limited slack to allow them to move. I did check the X and Z Assemblies with a square off the sides and the base rails and they are pretty close.

My understanding is that the X and Z need to be aligned to the spoilboard. To do that I set the spindle as level as I can then run a surfacing run. After that I can then tram the spindle off that surfaced face to make the final adjustment. That would be measured with a tramming tool (either a dial gauge or just a simple wire indicator). Once the spindle is adjusted on the X and Y to get it level to the spoilboard a final surface run to get the board flat. Thats as far as I know how to set it up for alignment. I know there is software setup for the axis movements, etc. after that but that's all after the machine is mechanically correct.

What don't I know, how bad is the above plan and how does the block help me?
Thx
Ian

QueenAnt Pro V2 - CNC Router - https://photos.app.goo.gl/kg7CSvJsrAvAgRs26
MPNC - CNC Router - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ees2SER6C2Aw8AJ89.
IPGregory
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D7787C45AB-0819226470 - 98F07B6F97F8-0623237343

Post by IPGregory »

Weekend update...

Added the cable drag chains to the machine.

So that I could measure off and cut the Limit Switch and Motor Power Cables to length.

Thats it for the machine part.

Installed a 5v Source for the drive logic connections so I can use the DB25 as was discussed earlier in the thread.

Updated the cabling to remove the 24v and run the 5v to the drives.

Board is far enough along to go back to bench testing. Time to hook up a single drive.

Thats it for this update.
Thx
Ian

IPGregory

Post by IPGregory »

Weekend update...

Left off last week with the motors on the bench. After a couple of days, I came to the realization that the Unbranded Chinese Copy Drivers were not going to cut it. No documentation, Menu settings (no dip switches) on the drives printed in Chinese and no information I could find on the web to help much. I got them powered up, but I couldn't get the motors to do anything but glitch and throw encoder errors. I searched everything I could think of on the forum and the wider web with no luck. Tried multiple ways of wiring them and multiple different drive settings in the SW with no luck. Thought about asking for help but decided without supporting docs it was likely to just waste people's time. Also decided that even if I did get them running, I wouldn't be able to fine tune them or really trust them. The drives were already top of my list to upgrade, but I had hoped to get them running and upgrade down the line. Nope. Looks like the upgrade time is already here.

Looked around at some different options and decided on the StepperOnline Drives. They come with documentation, have support available, have both supporting Schematics and software options for the Acorn already and a forum search suggested that they were OK. I decided to go with the CL57T as that fit the Nema 23 Motors I am using. The Docs and SW were for the Y version but the only difference I could see was the Y uses 24v Logic and the T is selectable between 5v and 24v. Since I want to use the DB25 then the T looked to be the one to go with. Ordered 1 so I could test it out. After I ordered it, I realized I didn't know if it was just the drives or both the drives and motors I was having issues with. Couldn't find the right motor on its own available without ordering from China, so I ordered another drive with the motor as a kit. Then I had to go out of town for a couple of days.

Got back and the drives/motor were waiting. Time for a quick drive change to test.

Drives fired right up, and motors turned! Yay!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya5VBWzhNo

So I ordered 2 more with motors. I did manage to get an original motor working with the new drive after some experimentation with the power wires. It will only work 1 way and has to be reversed in SW (just buzzes if you reverse the wires on a coil) but otherwise it runs OK.

I did have to verify the encoder wiring on the original drive. I will use it and see if it's OK. If not, it'll get 'upgraded' too.

With working drives/motors, time to move on to the Proximity Switches. Bench tested the 7 I was planning to use. To confirm operation, wiring, SW settings, etc.

I got 6 with the machine but they were NPN NO 12mm units with a 12mm detection range. I had already ordered 4 more NPN NC with a 4mm range. I planned to use the 4 new ones as Home Switches and pairing and use 3 of the originals as Limit switches. I am planning to use the SW limits but since I had the spare sensors, I would add them as limit switches anyway. Then whilst reading through I came across posts that suggested that wiring the NPN NC sensors in series is debatable. Seems to work for most but the sensors weren't designed to work that way. Thought about it and decided since I didn't really need the limit switches, I could drop them and wire the Home/Pairing switches direct since I have enough inputs if there are only 4.

So re-wired the switch blocks and the Acorn for individual input.

With the motors turning and the switch set up decided, wired and tested, time to 'fix' the Spindle cable by wiring in the shield to the ground at the plug.

Then wire up the VFD ready for power and the spindle connection.

Decided I really dislike the way the VFD handles its ground after having to chain 3 different ground points together. But its pre-wired and ready to go on the board later now. Spindle cable has the shield connected to ground at both ends.

Since the soldering iron is out, it's time to extend the sensor and motor cables ready for fitting to the machine.

Motor done.

Sensors done.

And that's it for the weekend. Quite a bit of progress but not very photogenic... :)
Thx
Ian

IPGregory

Post by IPGregory »

Did end up with a question on the VFD wiring. There doesn't seem to be a common wiring color or even a common pinout for the spindle connections to the VFD that I have found. I have the manual for the VFD and it doesn't help. I did find a diagram that suggests it doesn't matter which order the 3 spindle power wires are connected to the VFD in.

Is this right? Can any of the 3 wires go to any of the 3 terminals?
Thx
Ian

tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

You are correct. There is no order to the motor power wiring. Most VFDs have a parameter to reverse motor direction. If not and your motor is rotating backwards, just swap any two motor leads.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
IPGregory

Post by IPGregory »

Thank you sir!
Thx
Ian

IPGregory

Post by IPGregory »

Have a question on the SW around the Drives. I am running the Stepperonline CL57T drives using the CL57Y Schematic (S15034-ACORN_rev4_STEPPERONLINE_CL57Y_Drive) and CL57Y Drive Settings in the Wizard. The difference between the 2 based on my reading of the specs is the Y is limited to only 24v Logic whereas the T has selectable 5v and 24v. I have mine set to 5v and the only difference to the above schematic is my Step- and Dir- are wired to the DB25 instead of the Acorn Terminal Blocks. My Enables are on the Blocks and my Alarms on the Inputs as shown. I also had to change the microsteps as they defaulted to 4000 and my drives don't support that, so I have them set on the drives and in the SW at 3200.

When going through the wizard, I noted the SW was set to control the drives via the terminal blocks (H2/H3), not the DB25 (this would be correct for the 24v Y version). I changed it to the DB25. Drives stropped working. Changed it back, drives work fine again. Thinking about it I assumed that since the Enables were on the Blocks, changing to the DB25 stopped them working. Checked to make sure I couldn't remap the Enables to the DB25 and it doesn't appear I can. Other than this mismatch between the physical and the SW everything seems fine on the bench.

So the question is, does it matter that the SW is set to control via the Terminal Blocks but the drives are wired to the DB25?
Thx
Ian

IPGregory

Post by IPGregory »

VFD installed.

Is there any issue with powering up the VFD on the bench to check/set menus, etc. without the spindle attached?
Thx
Ian

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You can power it up, it’s just not advisable to to run it with no load.