Couple of beginner questions, Touchscreens, Windows Version, Multiple Machines?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

jandetlefsen
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Couple of beginner questions, Touchscreens, Windows Version, Multiple Machines?

Post by jandetlefsen »

Hello,
i have a BF20VL that i'm converting. Already purchased Teknic servos, Acorn controller, the wireless remote controller and the CNC12 Mill Pro license. Based in Thailand.

Now i'm trying to configure a PC with touchscreen. And have a few questions. Pardon me if they have been answered already somewhere in the forum, it's all a little overwhelming to collect all the info needed while making sure the recommended hardware is still available. Questions i have:
  • What screen size should i pick? I would like to keep it compact next to the machine, but would also not go smaller than what is usable. My eye sight is still okay :) Was thinking 18-20 inch, is that okay?
  • Can anyone recommend a touchscreen from some well known brand that works well and is currently sold? This makes it more likely that i can find a local source for this without going through the pain of self importing.
  • I would like to use a mini PC for this. Easy to find but they all have Windows 11 pre installed, not Windows 10. Any issues?
  • Lastly is it possible to run a second machine from the same computer? Would eventually like to add a router to my workshop and would consider this when i decide where best to place the screen

Thank you very much, happy to have this forum as support.

EDIT: Just been reading "Each Acorn Software License is specific to a single Acorn board", does it mean i can buy another license and then have the ability to switch the software to another Acorn board?

EDIT2: Found this screen, is this recommendable? ASUS MONITOR VT229H (IPS Touch), it is locally available, seem to tick all the boxes but been reading in this forum that "10 point touch" can be buggy https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/ ... ch/VT229H/

EDIT3: Would an i3 14 inch laptop with touchscreen be of much use? It has enough single core power in the benchmark list
rk9268vc

Re: Couple of beginner questions, Touchscreens, Windows Version, Multiple Machines?

Post by rk9268vc »

that monitor should work fine. main thing is being at least 1080p

just dont touch it with more than one finger at a time. It is like the trackpad on a laptop, supports more than one finger at a time, but still works with just one.

2 machines on one pc is technically possible, but is a pain in the butt to my knowledge. you are better off having one pc per machine because of the way the folder structure works and having different CNC12 versions for mill/ lathe/ router/ torch

as long as the i3 is new enough and meets the cpu requirements you should be fine. Make sure you have an ethernet jack on the laptop, usb adapters can be finicky. You will need to set up the laptop how they recommend and set up the static ip of acorn etc.

guys on the forum generally dont recommend laptops because they tend to not perform as well as desktops because of mobile hardware. As long as it is has decent specs it should be fine though. I have been running my mill over a year on a laptop and it has been fine, although, as mentioned, it is not a cheap laptop (i7 8th gen, dedicated gpu, etc)
jandetlefsen

Re: Couple of beginner questions, Touchscreens, Windows Version, Multiple Machines?

Post by jandetlefsen »

Thank you that helps a lot. Gonna get that screen then and some mini pc.
slodat

Post by slodat »

I have the ASUS VT168HR on two machines and I'm quite happy with it.