Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Axis Setup Issues

Post by cncshaker100 »

I'm now down to the last few steps of setting up my acorn but I'm having a issue with the axis (all 3) working. I'm using stepper motors with the drives connected by the db25 connector. When I go to jog the axis (all 3) I get an enable fault (red led). At first I thought maybe I had the drive or the motors connected, or configured wrong so I disconnected the db25 cable from the acorn board to try and jog the axis with nothing connected (drives) and still the same result. Keep in mind I'm testing with the db25 bench test drive loaded. When I jog the axis and the axis enable fault lights, I just hit the reset button and everything will reset. Also keep in mind that while in the db25 bench test mode I modified some of the settings for the db25 connector and remapped some of the pins to match my drives pins. I've attached some pics to show the faults that I'm referring to. Hopefully this is something minor in the settings
Attachments
X, Y Axis Fault.jpg
X Axis Fault.jpg
X,Y,Z Axis Fault.jpg
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Re: Axis Setup Issues

Post by Muzzer »

You need to attach a report so we can see the system settings. Otherwise, it's going to be a matter of trying to guess what you have done.
cncshaker100

Post by cncshaker100 »

Here's the report file
Attachments
report_0035FF89FF8A-0621214848_2022-09-25_14-04-56.zip
(620.91 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Also, what drives do you have and what diagram did you follow. Post pics of the drive wiring and close up so we can see details. There shouldn’t have been a reason to remap pins if you are wiring to individual stepper drives since you just end up with bare wires on your DB25 cable. Did you double check the remapped pin out? Or maybe you have one of those all-in-one stepper drives? More details and pics needed. start a google album and upload all your pics there and share a link here on the forum.
cncshaker100

Post by cncshaker100 »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:39 pm Also, what drives do you have and what diagram did you follow. Post pics of the drive wiring and close up so we can see details. There shouldn’t have been a reason to remap pins if you are wiring to individual stepper drives since you just end up with bare wires on your DB25 cable. Did you double check the remapped pin out? Or maybe you have one of those all-in-one stepper drives? More details and pics needed. start a google album and upload all your pics there and share a link here on the forum.
Keep in mind it also faults without the db25 cable even being connected, and I only had to remap 3 pins to change one of the drives.
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

cncshaker100 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:51 pm [

Keep in mind it also faults without the db25 cable even being connected, and I only had to remap 3 pins to change one of the drives.
Unfortunately, your reply does not help. Please provide the info that Shawn has requested above.

Whilst writing, you really need to download and install the latest software v4.80 as support for v4.64 you are using has ended
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
cncshaker100

Post by cncshaker100 »

Here are snips from the wizard along with the drive pics that I'm using. Shawn was right this is a all in one drive that controls 4 axis. The only wiring to the drive is a separate 110v source, and out to the motors. This is what I used with Mach 3 just as you see it. The only reason I had to swap some pins on the db25 connector is one of the drives (z axis) went out on the drive, and I swapped the pins so the z axis can use the spare drive. X, and the Y axis never changed. I copied everything from the Mach 3 Software which worked fine the way it was setup. Nevertheless here's the link to some pics. The wires that you see coming out of the drive are going to the motors. Once again I've tried it with, and without the drives being connected (db25 connector). Hopefully these pics, and snips will help. Let me know what you think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fjG2ELG2N1m7AmVU8.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

As noted please take the time to update your software to the current version, 4.80. Centroid does not support old versions of the software. Also, post a link to the drive manual so we can see the wiring diagrams and confirm how you have the DB25 configured. I would start with wiring ONE axis of that drive to Acorn and get it working.

Unplug the DB25 from Acorn, update to 4.80, set the drive type to Bench Test and then restart CNC12 when instructed. When it loads up again just press F3 to go into MDI and see if the drive axis LED's all turn green. Don't hook ANYTHING else to Acorn or change ANY settings.

Post a fresh report after this and let us know what happens.
cncshaker100

Post by cncshaker100 »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:11 pm As noted please take the time to update your software to the current version, 4.80. Centroid does not support old versions of the software. Also, post a link to the drive manual so we can see the wiring diagrams and confirm how you have the DB25 configured. I would start with wiring ONE axis of that drive to Acorn and get it working.

Unplug the DB25 from Acorn, update to 4.80, set the drive type to Bench Test and then restart CNC12 when instructed. When it loads up again just press F3 to go into MDI and see if the drive axis LED's all turn green. Don't hook ANYTHING else to Acorn or change ANY settings.

Post a fresh report after this and let us know what happens.
Shawn I appreciate all the help that I'm getting, trust me I do, and I will update to the newer version, but what I don't get is why are the axis faulting out with nothing, no wires, no db25 connector, connected to the acorn board, I am using the bench test drive, and the axis are green until I go to jog a particular axis, that's when it faults out, which is what I stated earlier. Nevertheless here's the PDF to the drives literature. I have the DPG10004-02.
Attachments
L010192 - Addendum for DPG10003-02 and DPG10004-02.pdf
(122.79 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
L010181 - DPG10003-02, DPG10004-02 Users Guide.pdf
(753.06 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I'm not sure yet that why I ask that you start with a fresh install of 4.80, so that we are all working with the same version, and with ZERO modifications to the Acorn or its settings so that we can work through it together. We cant possibly know what you've done or wired right or wrong. Starting fresh with nothing but power and the CAT5 cable hooked to Acorn. Did you do this in the beginning like the manual states? This will help you determine where things went wrong. Disconnect EVERYTHING else from Acorn.

I'll have a look at your manual and see how it should be wired to Acorn. Thanks for posting it. The addendum you posted is for "the new driver pack" for Mach2, wow how old is that? Forget what you know about Mach anything. Did you wire the drive per the manual, not the addendum? The diagrams are different in the manual and in the addendum, follow the manual. This could be the issue and how it's wired. I need to read the manual and see how your enable lines work as they may need to be connected.

Start with a brand new install and when Acorn boots up you should be running a fresh install of 4.80. Then we can work through it ONE STEP AT A TIME.