Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Z-Axis Gone Too Far

Post by ShawnM »

I was gonna say I've been using zero and my max travel limit value, either plus or minus, for years without any issues.
RJS100
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by RJS100 »

I greatly appreciate all of the responses, but I am totally confused. My application is simple standard benchtop milling application.

Just to communicate the sensor locations:
There is one proximity sensor at the top of the Z axis to limit the maximum Z travel
There is one proximity sensor that I believe to be at the end of the positive X to stop the table from moving too far right.
There is one proximity sensor that I believe to be at the end of the positive Y axis to stop the table from moving too far to the rear of the machine.

My original configuration was as attached. The machine appeared to work properly. I got error messages when I attempted to exceed the machine envelope limits as expected. I ran the test Gcode a few times and it ran perfectly. On one day I ran it again and the Z axis exceeded the limit when a tool change was ordered. This is when I posted this question.

The previous posts indicate that I only setup homing limits and not soft limits. Can you please let me know how and where to setup these soft limits? The manual and the video posted are for different versions of CNC12.

Thanks again... Richard
Attachments
Original Program.png
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Oops. Just for clarity, here are the image of my X and Y axis proximity sensors.
Attachments
X Proximity Sensor.JPG
Y Proximity Sensor.JPG
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

ShawnM wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:52 pm I was gonna say I've been using zero and my max travel limit value, either plus or minus, for years without any issues.
I also use 0 but with individual inputs for each axis with (Axis)HomeLimitOk and soft limits on the end with no sensor.

I thought 0 would only work as Limit on the end with a limit sensor...

Uwe
Last edited by suntravel on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crosshatch
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269931CF1-0307180710
CNC11: Yes

Post by Crosshatch »

I only have three mechanical switches on machine and also have the some "Zeros" for soft limits...
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

suntravel wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:01 am I also use 0 but with individual inputs for each axis with (Axis)HomeLimitOk and soft limits on the end with no sensor.

I thought 0 would only work as Limit on the end with a limit sensor...

Uwe
I just finished another router retrofit for my personal use, it's a Holz-Her machine to replace my last machine that I just sold. It has three NPN N/C proximity switches wired in series to a single input set to "HomeAll". No other limit switches on the machine. I have zero set as my travel limit minus for X and Y and zero set as travel limit plus for Z in the wizard under "homing and travel" (along with it's corresponding distance for my table) and it works every time with my soft limits. I get the axis travel limit messages as well.
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »

Thanks for your reply, Shawn. Some many months ago you sent me your wiring diagram for the NPN proximity switches. I wired them exactly as you mentioned below and am using zero for the travel limits just as you described. I ran a boat load of test Gcode today and have not been able to repeat the error I had when the Z-axis went too far (the reason I started this post).

I cannot be certain, but I think the reason Z-axis went too far may be a mechanical problem after all. I think the way guards (see attached) got tangled and blocked the proximity sensor. This is just my guess. Time will tell.

Thanks for all your thoughts.... Richard
Attachments
20220903_150228.jpg