; Inputs:
; ToolChangeComplete IS INP2
;
; Outputs:
; ATCbit0 IS OUT1
; ATCbit1 IS OUT2
; ATCbit2 IS OUT3
; ATCbit3 IS OUT4

I have a 17 year old Multicam Router that's controller died so I am retrofitting it with an acorn. But I'm struggling with the tool changer.
It has an independent 8 tool pop up style ATC controlled by 4 inputs (I think this is called grey code?) and has 1 output for tool change complete. To initiate a tool change the spindle is moved above the ATC then lowered within its reach then the tool number is selected with bits 0-3 for example to retrieve tool #7 you would turn on Bits 0,1,2 and wait for Input 2 to pulse (Tool change complete). The ATC has its own RPM, proximity, door etc… sensors.
I have tested this with a basic gcode file using M61, M62, M63 and it works but because you cant put more then one on a line there is a delay as the outputs switch sequentially which causes the ATC to jump the gun and grab tool 3 so I need to handle the outputs from the plc to trigger them at the same time.

My Skills:
Basic Electronics
Can copy pasta code
Nearly No knowledge of G Code
Currently breaking my teeth on CNC12
Am also reading the PLC programming pdf but its a lot to take in.

What I have setup so far:
Machine can home all axis
Fixed position TT wired to Input 3 and location set to G30
G30 P3 ; ATC XY Location
Can initiate a tool change manually using PLC Diagnostic Screen (CRL + ALT + F)
Notepad++, can compile plc code successfully

What I am trying to accomplish:
I would like a way to empty the spindle. Is it possible to have T0 be empty spindle (Outputs 1-4 together (binary 15) commands tool return)
I would also like to have more then 8 tools and map the tools to the ATC’s bin numbers if possible also if a program requested a tool that is not in the ATC is it possible to return the tool in the spindle to the ATC and ask the operator to insert the tool and ask the operator to remove it when calling a tool that's in the ATC?

Tool Change Operation M6? (Thoughts so far):
Spindle, Coolant, Mist etc off
G30 P3 ;goto ATC xy
G53 G0 Z-100 ;goto ATC z
Initiate Tool change ; Not sure how to signal the PLC to enable a Stage?
M100/50002 ; wait for tool change complete.
In PLC RST Outputs1-4

Some Questions I have:
Q1 Do you still use mfunc6.mac when setting Pram 160 !=0 (when i set it to 1 it stopped using it)
Q2 What should Parm 160 be ;Random or NoneRandom?
Q3 How should post tool change be handled? Should the M6 macro record the spindle location before moving to the tool changer and return there after a tool change. Would there ever be a situation where the next step in a gcode file is to drop into a hole but the spindle is at the other end of the table and so moves x,y & z at the same time crashing into clamps etc?

If anyone can give me some guidance as to whether this is something that even needs a custom set up and what the steps would be. I would be extremely grateful.

Regards,
Damien
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Advice Please Re ATC

Post by cnckeith »

Damien,
Hello.

i suggest you create a google photo album and populate it with photos of the machine and the ATC, picture is worth thousand words and will allow us to give you good guidance.

and post a fresh report.zip so we can 'see' the current machine configuration parameters, macros and files.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

A1: Yes
A2: Non-random
A3: "M6 T_". Any post worth using will always move XYZ where needed for the next operation after the tool change.
WhereIsTheAnyKey
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by WhereIsTheAnyKey »

Thank you for your time CNCSNW
WhereIsTheAnyKey

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tnxkv1rkkordcFmo7

Above is a link to the requested files.

I am seeking advice on what is the best way to set up this ATC. I have ideas but i dont know if there way off the mark. At the moment i'm thinking would it make sense to check in the main stage if the tool requested M107 is the current tool and if not then SET a custom stage to turn on the outputs and wait for the tool changer to output complete then turn off the outputs and RST the stage. I think i could get this working with tool numbers but then i cant have more then 8 tools.
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

This is my generic advice for getting a tool changer to work.

First figure out exactly how your ATC works. Then read the written description of how each type of turret works and find the one that is closest to how yours works. Then you can read the code to see what it does and what changes you need for it to work. The PLC is written in language that is easy to understand if you look at it. The formatting is where it can be a little confusing. You can figure out what steps the PLC is using to execute the tool change.

Once you figure out what modifications you need to do to the PLC you can (if it's in your budget) hire Centroid to make the modifications. If that is not in your budget there is a PLC programming manual and a series of videos on how to do it. I hired Centroid to modify my PLC and it saved me a lot of time.
WhereIsTheAnyKey

I am happy to pay centroid to do it. I just wanted to see if I could do it myself, to learn more about how it works under the hood. I have tryed going through some of the atc examples centroid provide but they are all designed for full control of the atc down to moving the carousel in and out. Mine is fully independent. Acorn dosent even need to stop the spindle becouse the atc overrides the spindle and stops it and even monitors it's rpm before unclamping the spindle
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

I agree with your logic. I thought the same thing. It certainly is good to learn as much about how the PLC works for future use.