CNC Control System Serial Number: qc470
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn Geckodrive g320x

Post by JosephPulido »

the motors do not work :( :( Help Me
Hello, I recently bought an acorn, for a gerber saber 408, below I leave a list of components that I am using.

Centroid Acorn
3 Gecko drive g320x
3 Encoders CUI amt102v
3 Parvex RX320ER1026 motors
1 Pc I7 8gb Ram 500gb Harddrive

I currently have the three axes connected and properly wired according to the diagrams published by you for the db25, I turn on the machine, I configure the motors with the db25 bench test wizard configuration, and I reset the drivers, the motors activate themselves. the cables to the db25 (address 1 and step 1 X com18) (address 2 and step 2 Ycom19) (address 3 and step 3 Z com20). attached photos.
It would be of great help if you send me a wizard configuration for this, I also have here a cloth for the sensor limit connection

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 2Exe4AxWD8
Attachments
report_3484E4260A0E-0523226221_2022-08-20_14-00-21.zip
(794.19 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Acorn Geckodrive g320x

Post by ShawnM »

Hi Joseph,

Looking at your photos you don't have it exactly wired per diagram S15088. You have no estop wired in, which is very important when just starting out, and no 24v wired into either H4 or H1. Second, you should wire up ONE DRIVE and ONE MOTOR only to get started. Get one motor working and move on to the second and then the third. Wiring everything up at one time is a bad idea for anyone just starting out with Acorn.

There are a lot of settings for the 320X, did you follow the steps in the drive manual? There are several settings before you even hook up the motors.

For best results set your pc monitor resolution to 1920x1080 also, you have it set at 1440x900.

As for your wizard setting, every machine and setup is different, there is no one size fits all with wizard settings. The inputs and outputs settings for the wizard are on the wiring diagram. You then have to select your drive from the drive configuration screen. The wizard is going to be specific to your machine only.

I don't understand your comment on the step and direction wiring. X axis step should be on pin 2 and direction on pin 3 on the DB25 and COM to 18. Forget the other 2 drives for now and focus on getting one up and running.

When Acorn boots up you have to reset the system by pressing the reset button on the VCP, did you do this? It's still in reset mode in your pic.

Again, I suggest starting with ONE drive and get it working first on the bench then move on to the next one.
JosephPulido

Post by JosephPulido »

Hello again dear, the three motors are working in XYZ order, now wire the reset to output 6 in the relay box, as explained in the s15088 diagram, but it doesn't work I'm working as a router, the output 6 led turns green when emergency stop, attachment recent report
Attachments
report_3484E4260A0E-0523226221_2022-08-20_22-43-19.zip
(764.81 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

You don't have INPUT 5 defined as "DriveOK". If you have it wired exactly like the diagram then it will work once you setup INPUT 5 as DriveOK and set to NO. That tells Acorn there is a drive fault and OUTPUT 6 will reset the drive when you cycle the estop. Input 5 is pin 15 on the DB25. You should have a wire from pin 15 to the NC side of relay 6 and the COM from relay 6 back to your drive. I'm assuming that the output is active low when the drive faults.
Last edited by ShawnM on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

I'm running the same Gecko320x drive and AMT-102 encoder. The ERR/RST system is odd and requires some reading to understand. I'm going from memory I'm not in the shop today.

You should be doing testing without using the ERR/RST system. Connect the ERR/RST pin to the ENC+ terminal. This keeps the drive in a no fault state. Only test one axis initially. Once you get this working you can duplicate it on the others. Once you have all the axis working then move on to the ERR/RST system. To get the schematic you referenced to work I had to modify a macro to make it work. You need to get OUTPUT 6 to trigger for 1 second to reset the Gecko. If you don't the drive stays in a fault condition. This has to be done after you push system reset and before the timer for driver ok faults out.

For anyone that want's to know how the ERR/RST system works here is a cut and paste from the Gecko manual.

ERROR / RESET PIN

This terminal functions as an ERROR output and as a RESET input. Because this terminal functions as both an input and an output, some detailed description is necessary.

When first testing the G320X, ERR/RES (Terminal 5) was connected to ENC+ (term. 7). It can be left that way if it is not necessary to read the state of the ERROR output. Otherwise, the following details are important.

The ERROR output is latched in the “ERROR” state (Terminal 5 = “0”) by the power-on reset circuitry in the G320X. It will stay in this state indefinitely until it is cleared by applying +5V to this terminal for at least 1 second.

The voltage on this terminal is +5VDC when the G320X is functioning normally. The voltage on this terminal goes to 0VDC whenever the FAULT indicator is lit. This output can be used to signal your controller that an error has occurred.

Normally when the G320X is first powered up, it will be necessary to push the momentary switch to START for 1 second. This will clear the power-on reset condition and extinguish the FAULT LED. The motor will then be enabled and the drive will begin to operate. If at any time after that a condition occurs that causes the G320X to “FAULT out”, such as not being able to complete a step command, the ERR/RES terminal will go to “0”, signaling to the controller an error has occurred. This will require the operator to correct the problem that caused the FAULT and then push the switch to “START” for 1 second to re-enable the G320X.

At anytime the operator can push the switch to the “STOP” position to immediately halt the G320X drive. Anytime the G320X is in the “FAULT” state (FAULT LED lit), all switching action stops, the motor freewheels and is unpowered.
JosephPulido

Post by JosephPulido »

Hello, I have everything wired exactly as indicated in the diagram, I turn on the acorn and the output 6 LED is red, I am following the diagram, I already have the 3 axes working correctly, I still need to install switch limits. I have a question. The Gerber 408 machine has a 27V DC output. Can I power the Acorn with this voltage?
Attachments
report_3484E4260A0E-0523226221_2022-08-22_17-31-03.zip
(754.29 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Yes, the output 6 led will be red until you have to reset the drives. When a drive faults the ERR/RST line is pulled to ground or zero volts and it triggers input 5 and you'll see "drive fault" message in the message window. Then you cycle the estop button for more than one second to send 5V back to the ERR/RST line on the drive to make it active again. When you cycle the estop the LED for output 6 will go green when the relay closes and send 5V to the drive that is faulted. After the reset the led will be red again. It's only green when the relay is active or closed. Make sense?

Do not power the Acorn with 27 volts. Use the power supply that came with the Acorn to power the Acorn and the Acorn only. Do not power anything else with the Acorn power supply. Power all your other ancillary devices with a separate power supply. This is best practice for good clean power voltage for the Acorn. Tie all the negative or common terminals of your low voltage power supplies together.
Last edited by ShawnM on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
JosephPulido

Post by JosephPulido »

I don't understand, I don't know what the vcp button is?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

The VCP or Virtual Control Panel is the button panel on the right side of your computer screen. When you see the "drive fault" message in the message window just cycle the estop button for more than one second to reset the drives.
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

ShawnM wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:28 am The VCP or Virtual Control Panel is the button panel on the right side of your computer screen. When you see the "drive fault" message in the message window just cycle the estop button for more than one second to reset the drives.
Pressing reset will activate output 6 without a PLC edit? EDIT: Ignore this. I was thinking reset not estop.