Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool path is cutting on wrong side

Post by BillB »

Hey All, Have my 1st test part set up since my rebuild, and not sure what is going on. Im programming in Fusion 360. When the posted tool path comes into the CNC12 the tool path is on the - side of the spindle and when it cuts it's obviously wrong. Same issue with all 8 machining operations in this test part. I actually tried flipping the stock in X but I get the same thing when the part comes into CNC12.

Did I miss something in settings or partners? Or is my programming off?

Link to Fusion File
https://a360.co/3C51jrl

Report and NC files
Attachments
report_80F5B5AA0E39-0210225667_2022-08-07_20-04-54.zip
(651.67 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
2022-08-07 19 23 39.jpg
Roughing.cnc
(865 Bytes) Downloaded 17 times
facing.cnc
(734 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times
293.jpg
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Tool path is cutting on wrong side

Post by suntravel »

Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

I suspect this may be something that caught me out too.

If you visit the Centroid area in the Fusion post processor library https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts?p=centroid_turning, you can see a cryptic note saying "Generic turning post for Centroid. Use Turret 0 for Positional Turret, Turret 101 for QCTP on X- Post, Turret 102 for QCTP on X+ Post, Turret 103 for Gang Tooling on X- Post, Turret 104 for Gang Tooling on X+ Tool Post."

This option posts different polarity X coordinates according to whether you are using a front toolpost, rear turret etc. This makes sense, as the position of the tool in front or behind the spindle will require +ve or -ve moves.

Here is the same (turning) toolpath with different "turret" options selected (they are actually for LinuxCNC but they were generated by Fusion). As you can see, the "101" option inverts the X coordinates.
Option "0":
9000.ngc.txt
(344 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times
Option "101":
9101.ngc.txt
(346 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
Option "102":
9102.ngc.txt
(344 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
Could this be your issue? Note that the "turret" value is associated with the individual tool, not the post processor. So to change it, you need to go into the "post processor" tab for each tool within the tool library and set the "turret" value appropriately.

For a "normal" lathe with the tool on the front / operator's side of the spindle, you'd select "0".
BillB

Post by BillB »

Muzzer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:11 am I suspect this may be something that caught me out too.

If you visit the Centroid area in the Fusion post processor library https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts?p=centroid_turning, you can see a cryptic note saying "Generic turning post for Centroid. Use Turret 0 for Positional Turret, Turret 101 for QCTP on X- Post, Turret 102 for QCTP on X+ Post, Turret 103 for Gang Tooling on X- Post, Turret 104 for Gang Tooling on X+ Tool Post."

This option posts different polarity X coordinates according to whether you are using a front toolpost, rear turret etc. This makes sense, as the position of the tool in front or behind the spindle will require +ve or -ve moves.

Here is the same (turning) toolpath with different "turret" options selected (they are actually for LinuxCNC but they were generated by Fusion). As you can see, the "101" option inverts the X coordinates.
Option "0": 9000.ngc.txt
Option "101": 9101.ngc.txt
Option "102": 9102.ngc.txt

Could this be your issue? Note that the "turret" value is associated with the individual tool, not the post processor. So to change it, you need to go into the "post processor" tab for each tool within the tool library and set the "turret" value appropriately.

For a "normal" lathe with the tool on the front / operator's side of the spindle, you'd select "0".
This fixed the issue, need to define 104 turret for my machine. thank you for this.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Almost outa of the woods one last issue. Just gotta figure out why my cutting location is in cutting at the wrong point in X now. Ive set up my M55 to GoTo x0, Z0 to stock 0,0. Ive confirmed all my tools Goto x0, Z0 to my stock one at a time to make sure tools are set up correctly. They all go to X0, Z0 with M55. Ive programed my part with X0, Z0 at front face of stock, but yet when i post the cut job my starting cut location is about 1 inch or so in -X above my stock. ??? This is on the facing cut.

Any input on what Im doing wrong?

AND can someone explain to my why there is a rapid move behind my part? as seen in my graph screenshot above. This did not go away after changing the turret position.