NEW BUILD - CNC4Newbies NewCarve 1000 Upgrade - Video Series

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

JLambeth87
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Not Available Yet. I have purchased my system but haven't built it out yet.
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

NEW BUILD - CNC4Newbies NewCarve 1000 Upgrade - Video Series

Post by JLambeth87 »

Hey Everyone,
This is my first post to the forum but I bet it won't be the last. First off I want to say I am excited that there is such an active support group here for the ACORN system. This will make things a lot easier during my build, which I have already started.

A quick little background:
I started off down the CNC rabbit hole a little over 2.5 years ago with a Openbuilds LEAD1010. I quickly upgraded that to a 1.5kw watercooled spindle then as I started doing more aluminum parts realized it wasn't very stiff. I then sold that and jumped to the NewCarve 1000 machine. It was still using the lowered powered NEMA23 motors on the OpenBuilds BlackBox controller with a 1.5kw spindle. Overall it has worked well but now that I'm getting into more complicated parts all the manual tool changes have become a pain in the butt and take forever. This is how I got to where I am now.

I am upgrading my current machine to go full ATC with a 2.2kw spindle and in the process upgrading the controller, stepper motors, and controllers.

Here is my current parts list:
-Spindle: JGL-80/2.2R24-20 purchased from here: https://www.jian-ken.com/automatic-pneu ... 00rpm.html
-VFD: Sunfar E550
-Controller: Centroid CNC Acorn + Ether1616 Expansion + Wireless Pendent + Touch Probe
-Stepper Motors: Nema 23 Closed Loop Stepper Motor 3.0Nm/424oz.in Encoder 1000PPR(4000CPR)
-Stepper Drivers: Stepper Online CL57T Closed Loop Stepper Driver 0-8.0A 24-48VDC for Nema 17, 23, 24 Stepper Motor Driver
-PSUs: 1x RHINO PSH-48-480, 1x RHINO PSH-48-240 (these are for the stepper drivers), 2x RHINO PSH-24-080 (these are used for powering ACORN and the other for the pneumatic solenoid valves)
-Other Sensors: Fluid level for coolant, air pressure for confirming correct pressure for ATC ops, ends stops, DC OK from all PSUs, Toolholder confirmation if attached to spindle or not

That's a rough overview of the parts.

I am documenting it as I go on my YouTube channel. The playlist can be found here:
**PLEASE NOTE that I changed out my PSUs since that first video was made to the RHINO PSUs.**

So far I just have two videos but I just completed mounting all the electronics to the electronics cabinet so I will be working on getting the next video together soon.

I do have one quick question. Can I use the wiring schematic for the CL57Y that is listed in the ACORN documentation to hookup the CL57T? If not, does anyone have a wiring schematic for that?

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing thoughts, comments, concerns, ect.

Josh
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: NEW BUILD - CNC4Newbies NewCarve 1000 Upgrade - Video Series

Post by suntravel »

Yes, it works with CL57T also.

Uwe
JLambeth87
CNC Control System Serial Number: Not Available Yet. I have purchased my system but haven't built it out yet.

Post by JLambeth87 »

Awesome! Thanks for the information! :D

Josh
JLambeth87

Post by JLambeth87 »

**EDIT
Never mind... I was thinking about this as if I was wiring in NO position... not NC... I need some sleep. It all makes sense now. :D***

Question about the homing/limit switches.

I am using mechanical switches since they are already on my machine so I'm not really wanting to replace them all. With that said I'm looking at the hookup schematic S14954 and it shows to wire them all in series for NC and all go to one input. My question is, how does it know to stop each axis if they are all going to the same axis if one axis hits the switch before the other or am I missing something? Thanks.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

If ANY limit switch is tripped, movement on ALL axis is stopped. Having each limit on its own input lets CNC12 report which axis tripped (I.e. X+ limit tripped). If all limitAll is used CNC12 just reports limit tripped
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

And during homing after the first axis trips the limit switch it backs off the switch so the next axis can trip the same input and it backs off then the third axis trips and backs off for the homing sequence. Make sense?
JLambeth87

Post by JLambeth87 »

Thanks. About 20 minutes after I wrote that I realized how it works which is why I did the edit. Lol

Thanks everyone.

Josh
JLambeth87

Post by JLambeth87 »

First off,
Don't make fun because I've never designed these before so I'm sure I could have done a better job... but with that said, I designed up and ordered up these PCB boards to make getting all my motors and sensor wires from my electronics cabinet to my cnc machine easier with quick disconnects. I'll be using the Phoenix Connect style connectors inside the box and Aviation style 4pin and 7 pin (for the stepper motor encoder) on the external.

I had to order 5 of each board so if they work and anyone else wants one, I'll have 4 left over. I'm traveling all week for work so they should be done by the time I get back hopefully.Image
Attachments
Screenshot_20220725-115740_Gallery.jpg
JLambeth87

Post by JLambeth87 »

Quick update.

PCBs are done and assembled. I ended up redoing the 10x 4pin version to increase the trace size for the motor and spindle power connectors.

Today I cutout the mounting plate to mount the boards, air-pass-through, and ethernet pass-through.

Tomorrow I'll start wiring!
20220817_141208.jpg
20220817_141020.jpg
20220817_140959.jpg