cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Build Thread - Acorn Controlled CNC Coil Winder - Help?

Post by cnckeith »

cncsnw wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 pm
cnckeith wrote:but i'd rather users use the Wizard for any of the pregrogrammed actions that meet their requirements
If he sets INP4 to be FeedHold2, and leaves the dot Green to indicate he is using a normally-closed contact, will the Wizard correctly generate an inversion for that input? < yes>

I seem to recall that in earlier versions, the Wizard just interpreted "NC" to mean "does not need inversion", and "NO" to mean "needs inversion", without regard to the application. < don't remember that :-))> While this worked right for limit, home, and E-stop inputs, it was not correct for things like remote cycle start, remote feed hold, tool-clamped, tool-unclamped, etc..

Has that since been fixed, so that the Wizard knows for each possible input whether the typical logic expects normally-open or normally-closed, and can generate appropriate inversions? < the green and red dot beside the input definition for each input controls the inversion, NC = normally closed, NO = normally open. as you suggested the best way for most users is to use the PLC diagnostic menu to figure out what kind of switch they are using and if they have it wired up to the correct input. thanks>
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Viking_Machinery
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Viking_Machinery »

Thank you all so much - I think I've got this all sorted now!
thanks for posting a report. looking at it, i see you have some impossible steps per rev numbers. review this post.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801
impossible.png
cnckeith - whoops, I'm guilty of 'doing a Mach 3' here. I've updated all the settings to be a little more professional.

Thanks for those updated .SVG files - they work perfectly!

To all who have helped with the input buttons - I have got this working, but definitely did something strange originally. Here's a bit of a run down in case it's of use to anyone else, as it was certainly not what I was expecting mucking things up!

All inputs were wired with NO push buttons.
I had the "CycleStart2" input set as NO in the wizard (in error - all three should have been the same), and "FeedHold2" and "CycleCancle2" as NC in the wizard.
In this configuration, Cycle Start & Cycle Cancel worked from the push buttons (although Cycle Start probably shouldn't have worked!!!)
The touch screen Cycle Start & Feed Hold did not work in this configuration, but Cycle Cancel did work.

Changing all input definitions to NC resolved all issues with both the external buttons AND the touch screen VCP issues.

I'm not sure why it worked at all for Cycle Start with the incorrect wizard settings, or why this would have affected the Feed Hold or VCP, but it did!

Next step is to add the fixed guarding and light curtain, and then a custom indicator on the VCP to show when the E-Stop button is active to remind the operator to clear this on start up. I'll keep everyone updated with progress!

Cheers - James
Viking_Machinery

Hi All!

Making good progress on the machine - guards fitted, light curtain installed and configured as a door switch now.

We've seen some funny behavior when the machine is running. Occasionally during a cycle, the controller will hang and will only get going again with a cycle start press on the VCP. Does anyone know how to monitor the machine state to diagnose what is calling the hang? My working theory is noise on the feed hold input, so I've added a ferrite choke to all the hard wired inputs, but it would be good if I could get a proper diagnosis of the issue.

Cheers - James
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The status panel on the screen should show the cause. You can examine the log files by pressing F7 Utility F9 Logs.

Posting a report file will help us help you.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Viking_Machinery

Thanks Tom! Will get a report posted and let you know what we see!

Cheers,

James