Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4063
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

X axis motor trips while running a job <malfunction in the C86ACCp board>

Post by blksmth »

Brief story on my build . Last year I completed the router build, I used Teknic SDSK 3411p-RLS motors on all axis, Erin at Teknic helped size motors for router. Machine has run since completion last spring. I do have a C86ACCP attached the Acorn board. Both Y motors are supplied by one 75 Volt ICP 5 power supply and the X and Z motors are attached to a seperate ICP 5. About two months ago the x axis motor tripped while cutting a job yellow light flashing on motor. I shut CNC 12 down and powered down Acorn then powered back up loaded the job and went to cutting on the job and a new board, every thing worked fine for about two weeks then same thing happened. This happened a couple more times, so I was thinking motor problem because the two Y axis and the Z axis motors kept on running and progress on screen showed no sign of X axis motor not operating. So last weekend I connected the x motor to laptop and ran a motor set up. After that was complete I hooked control cable back to motor and loaded a job every started out fine about 10 seconds in x axis motor tripped so I rebooted and loaded job again it ran about 30 seconds and tripped again, rebooted again and wife came out to watch machine while I watched the acorn board for any thing there. It ran for an hour or more and never tripped so I loaded new wood and ran two complete projects with no problems. Then on the 3rd job it tripped and actually went out side boundry of job X axis motor did not trip this time. Shut down and loaded another job. About 30 seconds into job X axis motor wasn't following command and went off work piece in the X+ direction. I hit E stop and reset then tried to bring machine back to the center of table but when I would hit the x- button it would only travel in the X+ direction. Y and Z button commands were normal. I am including 2 reports one after machine went off work piece, and the other when I couldn't bring machine back to center of table.
Attachments
report_E415F6F30A3E-1119204063_2022-05-11_19-02-19.zip
(661.01 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
report_E415F6F30A3E-1119204063_2022-05-11_18-36-20.zip
(654.21 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Re: X axis motor trips while running a job

Post by tblough »

Have you tried swapping the Z or Y drive with X? It's either the X drive or motor that's causing the problem.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Gary Campbell
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Have you looked up the "blink code"?
Have you connected the MSP software to the motor to see what the actual fault is?
Does it fault during a rapid or feedrate move?
Does the fault occur if the same file is run in the air?

1) Drop out the motor(s) on that axis, roll back and forth and check for a mechanical bind
2) Save the motor tunes and swap out the motor for another
3) Send motor to Teknic for repair
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
blksmth

Post by blksmth »

Here is the few things I have done. One fault was when moving to the start location , cutter in air. I switched files (job) and X axis motor didn't trip but machine went out of bounds of job parameter. Cutter had made 3 passes around profile cut out then went in the X + direction at that cutter depth and off the board. I hit the E stop before it hit limit switch then moved the Z axis up to clear work and hold downs then hit X- to bring machine back to center of table and machine went in the X+ direction tried X+ and it went in X+ direction, tried X - again and moves to the X + again. I shut off cnc 12 and powered down Acorn then powered back up and all axises moves as commanded manually. I don't know what the blink code is. And I did rerun a MSP on the X axis motor prior to these two events thinking this might solve the motor tripping I had earlier. I didn't know I could have the MSP connected while running a job. I was thinking about ordering another motor any way, all four motors are the same so I could have one one the shelf in I need to swap out. I am leaning more thinking it is a Acorn problem than a motor problem, because motor never tripped last time and kept cutting as it went off board, and I couldn't manually move it to center of board it would only move in the opposite direction I commanded. Also with power off I can manually turn lead screw from limit to limit with ease. I have tried to put all the force against the X axis I can with my body to trip the X motor I can't trip it. Thanks Gary for your help.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

One last bit of advice: there are dozens of instances where similar glitches have been reported here on the forum. I would strongly doubt that any of them were an Acorn issue. The more time you spend looking in that direction, the more time it will take to solve your issue.

Do you have your ClearPath HLFB circuits connected to a drive alarm? That's what stops the machine in case of an issue.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
Richards
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Richards »

Random failures often mean electrical interference. Are you using the shunt resistors recommended by Teknic (ClearPath User Manual Rev. 2.27 Page 45)? Electrical interference can cause a flurry of quick pulses. The motor's internal driver would try to move the axis at a very high rate of speed, causing the motor to fault.

Check all connections. If a motor moves in one direction only, it often means that the "direction" signal wire is not solidly connected.
-Mike Richards
blksmth

Post by blksmth »

To answer the last two post. The HLFB circuits are connected to the drive ok thru the C86ACCP, I was under the assumption that C86ACCP had the resistors on that board. Going to do some more test today and try to narrow down the fault.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

The reason that I asked is your comment:
This happened a couple more times, so I was thinking motor problem because the two Y axis and the Z axis motors kept on running and progress on screen showed no sign of X axis motor not operating.
If the HLFB and DriveOk circuit was working properly this would not happen

Here are the steps to diagnose the problem:

Have you looked up the "blink code"?
Have you connected the MSP software to the motor to see what the actual fault is?
Does it fault during a rapid or feedrate move?
Does the fault occur if the same file is run in the air?

1) Drop out the motor(s) on that axis, roll back and forth and check for a mechanical bind
2) Save the motor tunes and swap out the motor for another
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
blksmth

Post by blksmth »

Doing some testing to try to figure what is going on. I loaded a new V carve text file thinking the last two attempts were bad files. Router was set to cut air, it started fine but kept moving in the X+ direction no X- movement was seen and eventually worked its self off the work piece . I hit the E stop X axis motor still blinking green but I couldn't move router in the X- direction. Went to Vectric and created a new job 2 x 2 square box .100 deep cut profile cut. First attempt worked fine completed job Z retracted and shut off. Moved over some and reset zeros did the same thing it only moved in the X+ and both directions in Z and Y. Shut down Acorn and CNC12 and rehomed machine it will move in the X- direction while rehoming but after that I can jog in every direction but X-, Z +- and Y +-. X axis motor hasn't tripped in a while.
Attachments
report_E415F6F30A3E-1119204063_2022-05-16_11-16-01.zip
(657.79 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
report_E415F6F30A3E-1119204063_2022-05-16_10-37-23.zip
(655.27 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
report_E415F6F30A3E-1119204063_2022-05-16_09-56-09.zip
(656.72 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Tlempicke
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Post by Tlempicke »

I am having a similar problem. In my case the Z axis will stop responding but Acorn keeps running the file and the screen shows the Z axis moving. In other cases the Z axis worked fine to home the machine and then, after using the plate to zero the axis to the top of the material Z would stop working. I moved the axis by hand and found a "Hard spot". When I took the motor and gear case off it seemed to be the gear case, so I ordered a new one from Automation Direct.
It is due in tomorrow and I plan to get it installed quickly. If it helps I will make sure to post here.