CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: "New build" Acorn swap in

Post by tblough »

To me, G-code is write once, run anywhere. Model it, create the toolpaths in CAM, and post it. Then run it on any machine in the shop, or give it to a friend to run.

If you have a machine with a particular spindle that takes a certain amount of time to reach speed, or a coolant pump that requires a delay to reach pressure, those constraints should be in the machine tool implementation - not hard coded in the g-code. If you change the spindle to one that no longer requires a delay, do you want to have to re-post all of your prior jobs, or do you want to edit one line in one file and have all the prior g-code work correctly?

If you have a toolchanger on your machine, the programming for that is written in the M6 macro on the machine and not coded in the CAM programs post-processor. That's why this "macro" capability was added to Centroid machine software.

From section 13.2 in the mill operators manual:
Most M -Series CNC M functions from 0 through 90 can be fully customized. Exceptions are M2, M6, and
M25 that can be customized, but will always move the 3rd (Z) axis to the home position before executing
the macro M function commands. No M functions above 90 may be customized with macros. The default
action listed will be performed unless that M function has been customized.
To create a macro for an M-function, a file must be created in the C:\cncm directory. The file's name must
be mfuncXX.mac where XX is the M function number used to call the macro. M functions 0-9 must use
single digits in the filename (e.g. Use mfunc3.mac, not mfunc03.mac). The contents of the file may be any
valid M and G codes.
Each time the M function is encountered in a program, the macro file will be processed line by line.
NOTE: Nesting of macro M functions is allowed. Recursive calls are not: if a macro M function calls
itself, the default action of the function will be executed.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
fbx
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by fbx »

tblough wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:26 pm To me, G-code is write once, run anywhere. Model it, create the toolpaths in CAM, and post it. Then run it on any machine in the shop, or give it to a friend to run.

If you have a machine with a particular spindle that takes a certain amount of time to reach speed, or a coolant pump that requires a delay to reach pressure, those constraints should be in the machine tool implementation - not hard coded in the g-code. If you change the spindle to one that no longer requires a delay, do you want to have to re-post all of your prior jobs, or do you want to edit one line in one file and have all the prior g-code work correctly?

If you have a toolchanger on your machine, the programming for that is written in the M6 macro on the machine and not coded in the CAM programs post-processor. That's why this "macro" capability was added to Centroid machine software.

From section 13.2 in the mill operators manual:
Most M -Series CNC M functions from 0 through 90 can be fully customized. Exceptions are M2, M6, and
M25 that can be customized, but will always move the 3rd (Z) axis to the home position before executing
the macro M function commands. No M functions above 90 may be customized with macros. The default
action listed will be performed unless that M function has been customized.
To create a macro for an M-function, a file must be created in the C:\cncm directory. The file's name must
be mfuncXX.mac where XX is the M function number used to call the macro. M functions 0-9 must use
single digits in the filename (e.g. Use mfunc3.mac, not mfunc03.mac). The contents of the file may be any
valid M and G codes.
Each time the M function is encountered in a program, the macro file will be processed line by line.
NOTE: Nesting of macro M functions is allowed. Recursive calls are not: if a macro M function calls
itself, the default action of the function will be executed.
That's fine and I can appreciate that. After reading your explanation it makes sense why you would do it that way - thank you for sharing the insight. I'm not running a shop and I don't have industry CNC operator experience, I am a home/hobby user that built a machine and am learning as I go. A lot of this isn't always obvious to me and sometimes a concise explanation makes a world of difference.
fbx

Post by fbx »

I am still looking for a solution to use my tooling as a conductive probe... Specifically, a 2-wire setup consisting of the probe signal wire and the ground.

Still not sure why my inputs are showing closed when the electrical circuit is not closed.

Anyone willing to help troubleshoot or share their knowledge on how to set this up?
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

1) Select an open input terminal (1-8) on the Acorn (or remove existing wire)
2) Check the state of that input's LED (should be RED)
3) Connect a long wire to that terminal and bare the other end
4) Touch the loose end of the wire to the machine frame, spindle and bit
5) Check to see if the input's LED changes to red with each touch
Report back here
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
fbx

Post by fbx »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:16 am 1) Select an open input terminal (1-8) on the Acorn (or remove existing wire)
2) Check the state of that input's LED (should be RED)
3) Connect a long wire to that terminal and bare the other end
4) Touch the loose end of the wire to the machine frame, spindle and bit
5) Check to see if the input's LED changes to red with each touch
Report back here
For this test, I selected input 2, did not assign anything to it in the wizard.

I connect one of the wire to input 2, the other end of the wire had an alligator clip.

I used Alt+I on the keyuboard to display the virtual inputs on the screen. Input 2 showed a red status.

Touching the wire to the x/y axis, mill bed, vise all produced a green light for the input.

Touching the wire to the spindle, tooling, ballscrew, column of the z-axis all produced a green light.

Also conducted a continuity test between the x/y axis/bed/vise and the z-axis/spindle/column. There was no continuity present - these two parts of the machine are electrically isolated from one another. I am not sure how the x/y-axis has a ground - this is a home built machine with a 6" thick concrete base, the x/y-axis is mounted to studs that terminate about 4" deep in the concrete base. There is no ground on the x/y-axis unless I add a ground. The z-axis - which is electrically isolated from the other axis - has an earth ground which is just from the grounding through the spindle.

I have also checked the stepper motors for shorts. No shorts were found.

So I am not sure where the ground would be coming from.
fbx

Post by fbx »

Also note - if i completely unhook both the x and y-axis steppers, and perform the input test again, I get the same results. The stepper motors are the only electrical components on the x/y-axis. There are no other electronic components, no limit switches (have not installed them yet), nothing to make a complete circuit with ground.
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

You are overthinking it. Set input 2 as a tool touch off, conductive and set the rest of the parameters as needed.

Connect a clean metal plate to the wire to use as a z setting device.

Note: A conductive Z setter cannot be used on any metal object that is touching any part of the bed or machine unless you provide an insulated case that keeps it isolated from the grounded bed, etc
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
fbx

Post by fbx »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:54 am You are overthinking it. Set input 2 as a tool touch off, conductive and set the rest of the parameters as needed.

Connect a clean metal plate to the wire to use as a z setting device.

Note: A conductive Z setter cannot be used on any metal object that is touching any part of the bed or machine unless you provide an insulated case that keeps it isolated from the grounded bed, etc
Thats what I was trying to do - connect the tool touch off wire to the workpiece itself, then attach the ground to the tooling. When the tooling touches the workpiece, it creates a closed circuit and registers as a touch.

Is this not correct?

I see the note regarding not touching any metal object that is touching the bed... I understand this is the workaround to the issue I am experiencing, but this is no different than the x/y-axis/bed/vise/workpiece - or at least in theory it should be no different.

That said, I am coming up short on why the x/y-axis/bed/vise/workpiece would have any type of ground.
fbx

Post by fbx »

Here is a copy of the report from today if anyone is interested
Attachments
report_E0623469B4DB-0407225892_2022-05-29_09-35-16.zip
(628.19 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

Thats what I was trying to do - connect the tool touch off wire to the workpiece itself, then attach the ground to the tooling. When the tooling touches the workpiece, it creates a closed circuit and registers as a touch.

Is this not correct
No

the machine bed and the metal frame are, and need to be grounded

You must either insulate a conductive plate or use another type of device
That said, I am coming up short on why the x/y-axis/bed/vise/workpiece would have any type of ground
It is what it is, and in most cases has always been that way. The chassis or machine ground is just that. By definition. The fact that you don't understand that is irrelevant.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits