CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: "New build" Acorn swap in

Post by fbx »

Attempt #2 - set overall turn ratio to 5.08 for each axis

X-axis, move command of 5 inches, axis appears to have moved 5 inches - precision limited to calipers.
Y-axis, move command of 5 inches, axis appears to have moved 5 inches - precision limited to calipers.
Z-axis, move command of 5 inches, axis appears to have moved 5 inches - precision limited to calipers.

Not sure why the Y-axis was moving differently from the others (to produce a turn ratio of 5.38 when the other two axis were closer to 5.10). Seems to be corrected now and working fine. I did not use the excel spreadsheet this time.

Played with some different settings for max rate, fast jog, slow jog, and acceleration.
Max rate 150 in/min
Fast jog 150 in/min
Slow jog 75 in/min
Acceleration 0.5s

These seem pretty good for the time being. The last motion control that I was using had the max rate at about 75-78 in/min and I had no issues with it (in terms of speed and acceleration). I'll try these for a while and adjust as needed.
fbx
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by fbx »

Another task complete (overall turn ratio, inches per minute, etc).

On to adding probe functionality - I’d like to be able to simply touch off on x/y sides of the workpiece, then set z by touching the tooling to the top.

Working from the probe pdf found in documentation. Once this is added, I would like to run a simple calibration part to see how close (or far) the machined dimensions are compared to the CAD model.
fbx

Post by fbx »

Trying to set up the probe function and running into a problem...

Current probe set up is based off of the schematic on page 12 of the probe PDF (attached)
05072022-probe set up.PNG
When I enter Alt + I to see the input/outputs, inputs 6 and 7 both display as green (green = closed state). I want this to be open in its idle state then closed when the tooling touches the workpiece.
05072022-touch off probe set up.PNG

That said, since the x and y-axis of my 3-axis mill is electrically isolated from the z-axis (column), I would like to attach the probe signal wire to the bed or the vise, and attach the probe ground/common to the z-axis carriage plate or spindle. This would allow me to perform an x/y/z axis touch off on the workpiece, using the tooling loaded into the spindle.

However, it appears that inputs 6 and 7 register as being triggered closed when both the signal wire (vise) and the ground/common (z-axis) are hooked up. Please note, there is no electrical connection to make this a closed circuit.

Question - how can I hook these up so that they can remain installed? I would prefer this than to hook them up every time I need to touch off on an axis. I have also tried using Probe Detect and Probe Triggered on inputs 6 and 7 with the same results.

Did I miss something in the setup? Configuration in the wizard also attached. Thanks!
Attachments
05072022-probe tripped upon cnc12 start up.PNG
05072022-tool touch off set up.PNG
05072022-probe configuration.PNG
05072022-inputs.PNG
fbx

Post by fbx »

Also noticed that inputs 6 and 7 are neither green or red - these are supposed to show at least green or red, correct? Not sure why they aren't.

I also tried to do a simple probe cycle using a jumper wire to trigger and simulate a touch. Since I don't have CNC12 Pro, I am limited to only the "Bore" probing cycle. When I attempt to run a test probe cycle, CNC12 says the following:

1. Position inside bore
2. Cycle start to start

I do both of these, then receive a prompt that says:
1. Probe PLC input not set
2. press any key to continue

Since it says the input is not set - to me that says the input is not fully set up. So how do I set the input when I have already assigned inputs 6 and 7, and they are showing as active when I call up the input screen (Alt + I)? I'm not sure what I missed in the process that fully assigns these inputs. I have closed and restarted CNC12, also power cycled the Acorn as required when setting these inputs.
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

Input 6 should be "probe tripped", and in probe config, plc input should be 6 as well. You left it blank in the screen shot.
Scott
fbx

Post by fbx »

Sword wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm Input 6 should be "probe tripped", and in probe config, plc input should be 6 as well. You left it blank in the screen shot.
Do I get rid of input 7 completely?
fbx

Post by fbx »

Sword wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm Input 6 should be "probe tripped", and in probe config, plc input should be 6 as well. You left it blank in the screen shot.
Also - the screenshot of the probe configuration screen showing a blank PLC input is because I had tool touch off assigned to inputs 6 and 7 at the time. I included both screenshots to show what settings were used in case there was something causing the probe or tool touch off to register as tripped when setup to perform probing or tool touch off.
fbx

Post by fbx »

Just tried using this arrangement (found in someone else’s thread), although really it’s no different and just taps common at a different location.
ED507506-3553-4A98-9F2E-8EE050F64F41.jpeg
Same results - probing is triggered right from the start when I need it to be an open circuit (then closed circuit when triggered).

Not sure what I’m doing wrong, this shouldn’t be as difficult as it is turning out to be. It’s just an open vs closed circuit.

Functionality that I am trying to achieve:

1. One probe wire attached to z-axis (spindle housing etc, or clipped somewhere as needed)
2. Second probe wire attached to x/y-axis vise (or clipped somewhere as needed)
3. Probe cycle to locate and activate as triggered on edges of axis (x/y/z), set zero for WCS.
4. be able to use other probe options that come with CNC12 Pro (edges/corner/etc)

If someone wouldn't mind providing some assistance with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
fbx

Post by fbx »

Ran a test program this evening - cut a nice piece of air, everything seemed to work as it should.

A couple takeaways:

1. Still need to figure out how to touch off (with tooling) on each axis to set WCS.
2. Need to figure out how to add about 15-20 seconds of dwell so that my spindle can come up to speed before starting program.
3. Need to get more comfortable with setting machine home and WCS. The last motion control that I had probably seemed easier just because it wasn’t a real industrial grade control like Acorn.
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

1) Take a look at the attached macro. It was for a 0.5" thick, 5" square plate with a 2" hole in the center. It was used to just set the part XY zero, but Z zero could be added to it as well. Modify for your needs.

An even better solution would be Swissi's Probe App, which I use now instead of the attached macro.

2) Have your post processor add G4 P15 or 20 (must be a slow spindle) after the M3 Sxxxxx (xx being the rpm value).

3) Machine home is just that, machine home position, which is set after homing and doesn't change. WCS is anywhere that you wish it to be for WCS locations #1-#6. Once sitting at the place you want part zero to be, select what WCS you want it to be with Alt+1-6 and then hit the Set WCS XY0 button.
Attachments
probe_boreXYPlate.cnc
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Scott