Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: "New build" Acorn swap in

Post by Sword »

Some adhesive backed flexible refrigerator magnet works well and allows you to store/stick it to the machine. Measure the thickness and enter it in the wizard.
Scott
fbx
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by fbx »

delete
Last edited by fbx on Sun May 29, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fbx

Post by fbx »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:20 pm
Thats what I was trying to do - connect the tool touch off wire to the workpiece itself, then attach the ground to the tooling. When the tooling touches the workpiece, it creates a closed circuit and registers as a touch.

Is this not correct
No

the machine bed and the metal frame are, and need to be grounded

You must either insulate a conductive plate or use another type of device
That said, I am coming up short on why the x/y-axis/bed/vise/workpiece would have any type of ground
It is what it is, and in most cases has always been that way. The chassis or machine ground is just that. By definition. The fact that you don't understand that is irrelevant.

What i mean is that there is NO ground on the x/y-axis at all. I know, I designed the machine.

The other reason I know there is no ground - I used this exact 2-wire probe setup with a motion control system prior to acorn. I did have issues with it, but they were issues caused by the usb cable to the arduino board. I will say with 95% certainty that there isn't any ground on this x/y-axis. The other 5% is left to things I have no way of troubleshooting/diagnosing/aliens/etc.

Aside from that, I don't mind machining a simple piece of delrin to use as an insulator for a touchplate - its starting to look like thats my only option for now. I had wanted to use the tooling and workpiece so that I could touch off using the different probing options when I don't have a good corner to set my WCS.
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

I connect one of the wire to input 2, the other end of the wire had an alligator clip.

I used Alt+I on the keyuboard to display the virtual inputs on the screen. Input 2 showed a red status.

Touching the wire to the x/y axis, mill bed, vise all produced a green light for the input.

Touching the wire to the spindle, tooling, ballscrew, column of the z-axis all produced a green light
They are obviously grounded and you proved it to me with your test. Sorry that it didn't prove it to you.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
fbx

Post by fbx »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:41 pm
I connect one of the wire to input 2, the other end of the wire had an alligator clip.

I used Alt+I on the keyuboard to display the virtual inputs on the screen. Input 2 showed a red status.

Touching the wire to the x/y axis, mill bed, vise all produced a green light for the input.

Touching the wire to the spindle, tooling, ballscrew, column of the z-axis all produced a green light
They are obviously grounded and you proved it to me with your test. Sorry that it didn't prove it to you.
Then I have no idea how the x/y-axis has its own DC ground - its a 6" thick concrete base, with the rest of the machine sitting on a large wood platform (until i build a steel frame), which resides on a concrete slab floor. The only ground on the machine is the earth ground at the z-axis column - which is electrically isolated from the x/y-axis and can be proven to be electrically separate via a continuity test.

That leaves only 2 direct electrical options - both the x and y stepper motors and wiring. However, I unplugged both the x/y steppers when performing the input test, and still produced the same results.

Also - I completely cleaned the machine of all chips and metal shavings before attempting this. So there is no circuit being made through the pile of chips.

I guess another option would be to machine a piece of delrin to act as an insulated spacer underneath my vise...
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

You keep repeating all the things you assume, but they are in direct contradiction with your test results. Your bed, vises and all the items you touch tested are grounded. Period. Wishing, hoping and not being able to figure out why they are grounded will never change the facts.

Either build an isolation jacket for your conductive device or use a different type of tool setter.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
fbx

Post by fbx »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:56 pm You keep repeating all the things you assume, but they are in direct contradiction with your test results. Your bed, vises and all the items you touch tested are grounded. Period. Wishing, hoping and not being able to figure out why they are grounded will never change the facts.

Either build an isolation jacket for your conductive device or use a different type of tool setter.
I appreciate your help with the troubleshooting. Thank you.
fbx

Post by fbx »

Any electrical engineers reading this?

Is it possible that I may have unintentionally created an Ufer grounding system within the machine base? I am trying to understand if this is possible with the dimensions of my machine base.

The studs that I used are 1/2" in diameter, embedded 4 inches deep (each), and are in contact with embedded wire serving to reinforce the concrete slab (1/2" square mesh). Both the x/y-axis and the z-axis reinforcement wire are separate (I cut them this way) so there is no conductivity between x/y-axis and z-axis internal to the slab. Continuity check with the multimeter confirms.

However, could this reinforcement in conjunction with the embedded galvanized studs be acting as a scaled down grounding system, creating enough ground for a 24vdc circuit?
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

How are your motors mounted to the axis? Their metal cases are connected to ground.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
fbx

Post by fbx »

tblough wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 pm How are your motors mounted to the axis? Their metal cases are connected to ground.
My motors are NEMA 23 bipolar 2-phase, open loop steppers. Nothing fancy - stepperonline P/N: 23hs45-3504s

They are mounted on metal stepper motor brackets - the generic black painted steel angle.

I have tested both steppers on the x/y axis for shorts, did not find anything.

I have also disconnected BOTH steppers completely, performed the input test, and am still registering probe triggered and untriggered whenever I touch the signal wire to the vise/workpiece/other metal item on the x/y-axis assembly.