Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: "New build" Acorn swap in

Post by fbx »

Sword wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:23 pm 1) Take a look at the attached macro. It was for a 0.5" thick, 5" square plate with a 2" hole in the center. It was used to just set the part XY zero, but Z zero could be added to it as well. Modify for your needs.

An even better solution would be Swissi's Probe App, which I use now instead of the attached macro.

2) Have your post processor add G4 P15 or 20 (must be a slow spindle) after the M3 Sxxxxx (xx being the rpm value).

3) Machine home is just that, machine home position, which is set after homing and doesn't change. WCS is anywhere that you wish it to be for WCS locations #1-#6. Once sitting at the place you want part zero to be, select what WCS you want it to be with Alt+1-6 and then hit the Set WCS XY0 button.
Great! Thank you!

1. The biggest issue I’m having with probing is that I want to use the tool itself to touch off - BUT whenever I touch the probe wire (triggered wire) to the vise, it registers as being tripped. Even without the probe detect wire. It’s like it’s completing a circuit without actually completing a circuit.

2. I’ll see if I can add to the post processor - this is new territory for me.

3. Will do. With setting machine home - I don’t have limit switches added yet so I fake the home. Is it possible to set a machine home that will carryover when I shut down and restart the machine again? Or is it just a matter of returning to home before shut down?

4. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that has all the different cnc12 shortcut commands?
fbx
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by fbx »

Sword wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:23 pm 1) Take a look at the attached macro. It was for a 0.5" thick, 5" square plate with a 2" hole in the center. It was used to just set the part XY zero, but Z zero could be added to it as well. Modify for your needs.

An even better solution would be Swissi's Probe App, which I use now instead of the attached macro.

2) Have your post processor add G4 P15 or 20 (must be a slow spindle) after the M3 Sxxxxx (xx being the rpm value).

3) Machine home is just that, machine home position, which is set after homing and doesn't change. WCS is anywhere that you wish it to be for WCS locations #1-#6. Once sitting at the place you want part zero to be, select what WCS you want it to be with Alt+1-6 and then hit the Set WCS XY0 button.
Sorry if the answer to my question is obvious to you or anyone else - this will be my first time editing a post processor.

The only thing that I can find for the fusion 360 Centroid post processor is the following line of code:
post processor edit.JPG
It looks like both the spindle start clockwise and spindle start counterclockwise are covered in the same line. Seeing as how I would like to add dwell time regardless of direction, would I add the dwell time G04 P15 as part of the command start spindle line?
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

I'm not versed in Fusion 360's post format, but I would put it on the next line, so that right after the spindle is told to start, the next command is to pause. Perhaps someone that knows the format will chime in here.
Scott
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Instead of editing the post processors, you could add the delay to the M3 and M4 macros in the CNCM directory snd then they would be there for any CAM system, intercon, and MDI.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
fbx

Post by fbx »

tblough wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:15 pm Instead of editing the post processors, you could add the delay to the M3 and M4 macros in the CNCM directory snd then they would be there for any CAM system, intercon, and MDI.
I would try to do that if I knew how. Unfortunately coding isn’t my strength and I’m stuck on how to proceed. I understand it at a 20k ft view.

The last post processor I was using (not Centroid) had an option to specify the amount of dwell time for each program, right in the post properties. If I knew how to add that I would.
Attachments
EB50517A-9511-4D33-9CF3-2147E524B8B2.jpeg
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Cheers,

Tom
fbx

Post by fbx »

Thank you for those.

I did download the post processor from Swissi - it’s supposed to have a proportional G04 based on the spindle rpm specified in the program. I am planning on trying it out this afternoon.

It’s good to know I can fall back on the macro option as a last resort. Ideally, I’d like the dwell time to be a part of the program itself so I don’t have a stack up of macros to run at every tool change. I know it’s possible, unfortunately I’m limited in my knowledge and ability to get there.

I appreciate the help!
fbx

Post by fbx »

Started messing with Swissi's post this morning and I see where the spindle dwell has been added to the post properties menu. Looking forward to seeing this work!
swissi post.JPG
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Okay, I see you didn't bother to read yet again. Every M code on the machine can be replaced with a macro with the same name in the CNCM directory. This macro gets called whenever the M code appears in a program. So by adding a G4 Pn to the M3.mac file, you would get a 4 second dwell ANYTIME a program calls M3 to start the spindle clockwise regardless of what post processor was used. It would also work with programs generated with Intercon, as well as when the spindle was started with an M# from the MDI command line.

Good luck with your post processor editing.
Cheers,

Tom
fbx

Post by fbx »

tblough wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:28 am Okay, I see you didn't bother to read yet again. Every M code on the machine can be replaced with a macro with the same name in the CNCM directory. This macro gets called whenever the M code appears in a program. So by adding a G4 Pn to the M3.mac file, you would get a 4 second dwell ANYTIME a program calls M3 to start the spindle clockwise regardless of what post processor was used. It would also work with programs generated with Intercon, as well as when the spindle was started with an M# from the MDI command line.

Good luck with your post processor editing.
In my posts I am pointing out that I would like the dwell functionality at the post processor level. I had this same functionality on a previous post and putting it in the post properties area was a very convenient place for it - as pictured. Swissi was very thoughtful in the layout of his post and I am glad I loaded it up before trying to mess with post editing. He already had the functionality there, among many other features. That's a win for me, no editing of posts necessary!

The macro is also a helpful suggestion, and its appreciated. I just don't want to use a macro for this specific task when I know it can be incorporated at the point where the g-code is compiled by the post. This, to me, is the most logical place for this - aside from writing it into the code so that it automatically adjusts based on rpm. I have a feeling this is why Swissi's post shows dwell as a percentage at the dashboard rather than entering in the desired seconds - because he can reuse the same lines of code within the post to make dwell time an automatic function of rpm - just my best guess, I could be wrong. Either way, the new post had what I was looking for, it was already created, and I won't need a macro.