CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn and Emcoturn 120 with 8-tools-turret

Post by Spartan117 »

Today is the day...^^
I will try to get my turret working with an actual .src. Maybe it will work...
I don't want to miss the diagonal-move-ability of the newer software, but i can't wait for "sometime, somewhen" neither :D (no offense, trying to gag in english, hope it works^^)

Allin1Chris wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:29 pm In addition not all m-codes are provided with the install as of yet as well.
Do you mean "with the beta install" or "with the old ATC-files"? Newer mac-files shouldn't be overwritten, so maybe that's not a problem?
Spartan117
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Spartan117 »

Forget it...

I thought, better start low-go slow, so i just saved my cnct, created a report and screenshots of my actual config and then i installed the ATC-files like statet in the ATC-instructions and did everything like said there.
Only difference is, i am using the actual beta instead of 4.6 (because i didn't find a possibility to downgrade to 4.6 the ATC-files refer to)

But...

it doesn't work. I set the inputs and outputs, entered all parameters, and so on. Just followed the whole manual. But neither hitting "turret index", nor calling a tool in F1-Setup -> F7-ATC does rotate my turret.
If i activate the "rotatetoolturret-output manually in the PLC diagnostics menu (Alt-i) it turns and reverses after letting loose without problems.

But not controlled by the software...

I had one parameter i was not 100% sure about, but i tried both possibilities (#830=8 and #830=32, because i am not sure if the "self-reversing=32" is also 4bit-grey-code like value 8 "absolute 4bit") and it doesn't make any difference, nothing happens on both settings.

How can i find out what is going wrong here?
Will i have to downgrade to a stable release? If so, how will i have to do that? Uninstall CNC12 completely and then reinstall stable release?

I really hope someone can help me out here...

edit:
fresh report attached
Attachments
report_80F5B5B922D4-0211225687_2022-07-16_12-05-56.zip
(804.75 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Upnorth
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

I'm going from memory because I'm not in the the shop now.

Self reversing probably depends on how you have your relay's wired. Powered = rotate forward, Unpowered the turret reverses at a lover voltage to hold it against a pawl.

I also had an issue with rotatetoolturret. If you read the description of how it operates it may not be how you think from the name. Read the PLC to see exactly what it does

One question. Are you initializing the turret before using it? If I don't mine will not operate.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Hey Upnorth, thx for your answer.

Yes, my turret is self-reversing. When i activate output1, the turret rotates forward (fast), if i deactivate output1 it reverses slowly against the pawl.

In the manual that comes with the ATC-files is written, i should map the "rotatetoolturret" to output1, and this is what i did.

What do you mean with "initializing"?
I start CNC12, hit "ResetHome" for homing my machine. I can jog around then, run programs and so on.
But when i hit "Turret INDEX" or try to change tools by MDI or F1-setup->F7-ATC, nothing happens.
What exactly do you mean with "initializing the turret"?

I also uninstalled CNC12 beta now and reinstalled CNC12 4.64 now, again installed all ATC-files like written in the manual that comes with them, but it does not work with 4.64, either :(
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

I have not been using the lathe for a while I never completed it due to a spindle issue so once again going from memory. There is a procedure to initialize the turret that has to be done prior to using it. Look for the instructions in the manual. I can't remember exactly where I got the instructions but probably in the ATC instructions. I'm heading to the shop in a while I'll look them up. Once again from memory if you don't do this before attempting to use it the turret is a paper weight.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Ok the information to initialize the turret are in the turret install instructions. From the home page you press F3 to get to the manual data input page. Then type in M18 and hit cycle start. This sets the turret to tool position 1. The software will then keep track of where the turret is.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

OK, i'll try that! Thank you!

Now i also found, what you are talking about... That command is not listed in the instructions of the "Lathe_Turret_Gray_Code_1_Output"-folder, only in the "Lathe_Turret_Axis"-folder instructions.
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

I should have pointed out I'm using different instructions than you are. I am using the counter based instructions with a home sensor. Also my PLC is non standard and slightly modified. I would think you need to do the initialization procedure anyway though.

The index button on the VCP panel does not home the turret. It just advances it one position.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

I just tried, but I only get error messages about missing MemoryBits, with both, M18 and M21 (found in other turret instructions).
And as I said, the turret index button does nothing here, too.

As my turret is a 4bit-grey-code, it should know where it sits all the time without homing, btw.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

PLC is sometimes a bitch for ones like us with only a shallow clue of how it works :mrgreen:

But its only some twisted logic, there must be a way to figure it out.

In this case I can not help you, because my turret is in the future....

Uwe