Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New Rebuild on Sherline Chucker Lathe & New build on 5400 mill

Post by BillB »

I know its not difficult and I have mill experience, this is killing me. I am reading the manual.

I just set offsets for 3 tools again. Started by 0 out all offsets and measuring manually.with 1,2,3 block. When done to check Z heights I then swap tools hit my M58 (GO TO Z0) DRO reads 0 but 2 of the 3 tools are off yet again. I have done this many many times over the last few days as i start learning set up with the manual, watching the video, etc. I am really frustrated! Same inconsistent Z0s after setting offsets. Also tried with tool touch same results as before. I dont get it!

Is there a config setting that is throwing me off?

Hers a current report.
Attachments
report_6433DB044D1E-0623214856_2022-06-27_21-33-31.zip
(990.07 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Is the DRO showing Tool T2 H2 when you move to Z0 with tool#2 ?
If not, call the tool#2 in MDI:
G43T02D02H02

Uwe
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

BillB wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:40 pm Are we to just assume that H1 in the table is always associated with tool 1, 2with2 3with3 etc.
No, you can't assume that. You have to know how you set up YOUR tooling. You can have multiple offsets for the same tool. On mills this is often used to rough and finish with the same tool. On lathes, multiple offsets are often used with gang tooling. I have a small gang block that is tool 5. The four tools in the block have offsets of 51, 52, 53, and 54.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Bill make another video showing us exactly what you are doing
Do remember, once you set your tool offsets, you need to take anyone of those tool and set your part zero, remembering to tell the control WHICH tool you used to set the part zero.

You did fine tune your DRO correct? That is your Z axis movement is accurate and repeatable.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

I suspect Uwe's comment above is what you need to look into. Unless you use the G43T3H3 type command to enable the tool length offset (for tool 3 in this case), the machine won't know and remember that tool 3 is the active tool and also apply its tool length offset.

If you are using Swissi's tool probing app, much of this is taken care of when measuring offsets. But even so, you will need to use G43 each time you change the tool and apply the correct offset. I assume you are sticking with G54 until you have sussed this out.
BillB

Post by BillB »

suntravel wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:12 am Is the DRO showing Tool T2 H2 when you move to Z0 with tool#2 ?
If not, call the tool#2 in MDI:
G43T02D02H02

Uwe
OMG really, so are you saying this is how you call up a tool? All that? LOL That must be what I'm NOT doing, because when I change tools Ive just been typing T1 T2 T3 etc. The DRO shows the tool I enter in MDI but the offset shows H.. NO offset.

So every time you call up a tool you have to type all that into the MDI? Geeze. Gcode machines not that easy! I guess what you dont know you dont know.

I figured you call up T2 T3 etc and the offset is associated with that tool, guess not. Something I have been questioning, now I know.

I have not come across this in the manual yet. I assume it would be in the running a job section?
BillB

Post by BillB »

Muzzer wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:27 pm I suspect Uwe's comment above is what you need to look into. Unless you use the G43T3H3 type command to enable the tool length offset (for tool 3 in this case), the machine won't know and remember that tool 3 is the active tool and also apply its tool length offset.

If you are using Swissi's tool probing app, much of this is taken care of when measuring offsets. But even so, you will need to use G43 each time you change the tool and apply the correct offset. I assume you are sticking with G54 until you have sussed this out.
OK, did not know this. I think I plan on using Swissi's probe app, waiting on probes to arrive. Down side for me I need to use probes for both machines and he does not offer it for lathe so am I better off just using CNC12 probing or use both? Not sure yet.

Yes for now G54 only have no need for multiple part offsets yet.
BillB

Post by BillB »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:54 am Bill make another video showing us exactly what you are doing
Do remember, once you set your tool offsets, you need to take anyone of those tool and set your part zero, remembering to tell the control WHICH tool you used to set the part zero.

You did fine tune your DRO correct? That is your Z axis movement is accurate and repeatable.
Let me try changing tools using the proper command string and see where I end up, see my comments to Uwe I have not been doing that. Have not seen that in the manual yet, How to change tools properly. I was just entering T2 T3 etc.

Fine tune DRO, not sure? BUT over the weekend I adjusted the mechanical backlash and dialed in the turns ratio and backlash in the control on the mill using your Emco 5 video on this. I got it about as close as I can get it within a thousand or so on X&Y not sure yet on Z still evaluating Z and trying to see if there is a better adjustment for mechanical backlash. BUT I am really close, I just need to check with Karl at Sherline and ask him what I can expect with my set up and the type of backlash adjuster I have on this machine. Now IF I am off still a bit it's not the discrepancy Im seeing when checking Z0 on a given tool as Im only a thou or so off on Z if that.

SO that said does that cover what are you asking? OR is there something else with DRO I need to do?
BillB

Post by BillB »

tblough wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 am
BillB wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:40 pm Are we to just assume that H1 in the table is always associated with tool 1, 2with2 3with3 etc.
No, you can't assume that. You have to know how you set up YOUR tooling. You can have multiple offsets for the same tool. On mills this is often used to rough and finish with the same tool. On lathes, multiple offsets are often used with gang tooling. I have a small gang block that is tool 5. The four tools in the block have offsets of 51, 52, 53, and 54.
What you dont know, you dont know. Or should I say what I dont know! Honestly, as a laymen CNC operator in the world of real Gcode machines and controls, this makes no sense to me that the tool offsets and tool library are 2 separate pages and tools are not associated with an offset until you tell it it is. Hard pill to swallow. How the heck do you keep track of all your tools and what offsets they have??? Seams counterproductive if you ask me. So if your using multiple offsets on a given tool for finishing and roughing why would you do that? I understand adjusting offsets for tool ware but why would you want to use multiple offsets if it's not related to tool ware?
Last edited by BillB on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

You must also use D02 to let the CNC know the diamater of the tool, if not G41/42 will not work with tool 02.

Uwe