Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

hesitant to dive in

Post by peachy »

Looking for some advice/assistance/clarification before committing to an Acorn retrofit.

Current Machine: AXYZ 4008

Motors: Vexta PK299-F4.5A, 2phase, 1.8 - degrees/step

Drives: Pacific Scientific 6410 (6400) 7.1 A peak, 5 A rms 24-75 Vdc

Spindle: Elte F989967 - 7.5KW

VFD: Commander SE

I've read through the associated success stories and threads with uncertain endings from past users (keyword searching these components). I'm about 95% confident I can make this work - but wanted to ask ahead of time if there are any major roadblocks to anticipate. I intend to purchase a 6 channel relay board for the controller. Not opposed to new drives but trying to upgrade the brain of this thing for as little cost as possible at the moment.

On top of that I'd be buying the Acorn control and your Acorn Mill Pro License.

Thank you!
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: hesitant to dive in

Post by suntravel »

Should be no problem to build an Acorn Control for this machine.

You must also get a proper PC with 16:9 touch screen meeting Centroids requirements and one DB25 breakout adapter to wire up the drives to 5V

Uwe
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

No reason that you wouldn't be successful making an acorn work. You do not need the touch screen mentioned above. They are nice but not required. I had to choose between a pendant and a touch screen monitor. I bought the pendant. It makes things easier. You do need a proper PC but really it doesn't take much of a computer by todays standards. A cheap used one that meets the specs will be fine.

When you hook up the acorn you set it up in it's most minimal, stripped down version just to get it working. From that point you can add the nice stuff one circuit at a time. Limit switches, spindle control etc. You get each thing working then move on. I find it best to just try and solve issues one at a time.

There is plenty of help available online these days if you run into any weird issues.
Richards

Post by Richards »

The Acorn V4 come with an 8-channel relay board. You won't need to buy a 6-channel board unless you're driving loads too large for the Acorn's relay board.
-Mike Richards
peachy
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by peachy »

Upnorth wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:31 am No reason that you wouldn't be successful making an acorn work. You do not need the touch screen mentioned above. They are nice but not required. I had to choose between a pendant and a touch screen monitor. I bought the pendant. It makes things easier. You do need a proper PC but really it doesn't take much of a computer by todays standards. A cheap used one that meets the specs will be fine.

When you hook up the acorn you set it up in it's most minimal, stripped down version just to get it working. From that point you can add the nice stuff one circuit at a time. Limit switches, spindle control etc. You get each thing working then move on. I find it best to just try and solve issues one at a time.

There is plenty of help available online these days if you run into any weird issues.
Thanks Upnorth, exactly what I figured I'd do. Probably have pnp limits that i'll to switch out so I'll start bench testing with the spare drives and motors I have on hand before moving on to machine. Question Re: Pendant - all I see is the wireless version for sale which I thought I'd buy later once I get things up and running. Can I jog the machine around and run/start spindle etc. via mouse or keyboard control (i.e. no touchscreen monitor)? Assuming yes but wanted to double check
peachy

Post by peachy »

Richards wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:18 am The Acorn V4 come with an 8-channel relay board. You won't need to buy a 6-channel board unless you're driving loads too large for the Acorn's relay board.
Thanks Richards,

I read along in this thread https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... z&start=10 some issues encountered with the commander SE needing that relay board to properly integrate with the Acorn. Perhaps Marty or Bubbles can comment when they have time.
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

peachy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:12 am
Upnorth wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:31 am No reason that you wouldn't be successful making an acorn work. You do not need the touch screen mentioned above. They are nice but not required. I had to choose between a pendant and a touch screen monitor. I bought the pendant. It makes things easier. You do need a proper PC but really it doesn't take much of a computer by todays standards. A cheap used one that meets the specs will be fine.

Thanks Upnorth, exactly what I figured I'd do. Probably have pnp limits that i'll to switch out so I'll start bench testing with the spare drives and motors I have on hand before moving on to machine. Question Re: Pendant - all I see is the wireless version for sale which I thought I'd buy later once I get things up and running. Can I jog the machine around and run/start spindle etc. via mouse or keyboard control (i.e. no touchscreen monitor)? Assuming yes but wanted to double check
You can do everything with a keyboard and mouse that you can do with a pendant or a touch screen monitor. Neither are required. They just make things easier and no one ever seems to regret spending money on the pendant after they get one. You can make that upgrade later.

If you do decide to go with a touch screen monitor be careful which one you buy. They do not all work well. There are threads on here about which type of monitor to buy so some research is needed.
Richards

Post by Richards »

Peachy,
The Acorn in Marty's video is Version 3. That board only has two relay outputs, so an external 6-port relay board was often used so that there were relays on all outputs. The Version 4 board ships with an external relay board.
-Mike Richards
peachy

Post by peachy »

Amazing. This forum is fantastic, thanks to all. I’ll take some photos and hopefully put together a success story of my own in the near future.
peachy

Post by peachy »

Old topic…several years late. But closing remarks here to say I did it! Our RS485 connection (AXYZ AMC owners IYKYK) finally bit the dust so I finally dove in.

I parsed through a lot of old threads (thank you again!). I still have to get the PNP switches swapped for some NPN NC’s but I’m so excited and had to just express my gratitude to this board - and my regret at not just doing this sooner.

I’ll post a recap for future AXYZ owners once things are all tidied up - I promise!