Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 5x5 CNC - SDSK Build thread

Post by hennessey »

Something like this should do the trick?

hennessey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by hennessey »

Got my spindle connected. Works great above 20k rpm, when reducing speed manually woth qcorn it starts to get squirrly below 20k, as shown in video.

Larger gauge wire on +10v analog control signal?

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Is the analog signal from the Acorn a shielded pair by itself? It should be. Is the power cable going to the spindle a shielded wire? Did you install the .1 mfd cap in the Acorn outputs?
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Did you use the recommended twisted pair 18ga shielded wire?
Is the shield on the VFD cable grounded as per accepted method?
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

Installed a .2mfd cap i had laying around, problem solved. Ordered a .1 mfd cap to replace it with. Funny, i could not find the cap suggestion anywhere in acorn documentation, but found a previous post referencing it while searching "spindle fluctuating" here on forum.

Machine seems to be running pretry properly now, used it to countersink and drill hiles for spoilboard mounting, gonna surface my board and report back on results tmrw.

The teknik control cable is made up of 4 20awg twisted pairs but its not shielded. I used 2 of these twisted pairs (1 twisted pair per terminal, 4 wires total) to wire the 10v analog control signal in hopes that would get me closer to thr recomended 18awg for those wires). The vfd braided wire shield has been twisted tight around the drain wire, heatshrinked, and then terminated to the same point as the ground wire on the vfd side. The shield is not terminated on spindle side (but the ground wire is connected to pin 4, which is grounded to spindle body).

Kind of random, but is it normal for it to allow me to jog past my set travel limits?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

It's recommended as Gary stated that the analog signal be a shielded wire and grounded properly.
hennessey wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:21 pm Kind of random, but is it normal for it to allow me to jog past my set travel limits?
Not if the machine and the wizard is setup properly. :shock:
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

ShawnM wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 pm
Not if the machine and the wizard is setup properly. :shock:
My thoughts exactly. Went ahead and double checked this morning, as i thought, the information i had previously entered into soft travel limits was all zeroed out, so i went ahead and re input the data, and took a vid of the process.
I put the soft limits in, i wrote to cnc12, i reboot cnc 12 as per prompt, the numbers are still there in the wizard after reboot. I run homing procedure, it fails at autosquare becquse master switch tripped first (need to make some frame tweaks after i moved it). Then if i open up the wizard at this point, the soft trqvel limits have been zeroed out again.

2 part vid cause i had to put the phone down when my y axis auto square procedure failed

Attachments
report_0035FF8E8E7B-1001203770_2022-05-12_10-20-13.zip
(662.9 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

It's not a bug in the software. When you are setup to axis paring and squaring and the homing procedure does not complete or errors out for any reason the soft limits will remain all zeros. When axis paring and squaring is used and you start the homing procedure it removes the soft limits during the this procedure, if you have any problems and the homing does not complete properly the soft limits will not be restored to what you set them at.

You have to fix your axis paring and squaring so it works. Follow the procedure in the Centroid document and it works every time.

Please update the title on your YouTube videos because it's not a bug, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

i'll change the vid titles.

However, to be clear, if you fail to complete the auto homing/squaring procedure, the inevitable result is you are going to have to rewrite your soft limits parameters, flash to board, and restart cnc12, every time?

thats unfortunate considering a simple toggle of the reset button and a slight adustment to slave axis will allow me to complete the auto square procedure.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Yes, every time it fails to home you'll have to reset the soft limits. You manually finishing the homing procedure in any way is a auto homing failure because the macro didn't run to completion and reset the soft limits. Had the machine homed properly your soft limit would have been restored. And who's to say the gantry is square when doing part of the homing manually after running half of a homing macro?

A remedy to this is to take your time and setup the homing procedure properly and have it dialed in so it works every time. I retrofit a 6x12 cnc router for a customer with axis paring and squaring and it homes perfectly every time. The setup procedure can be tedious and take a few tries to get it dialed in perfectly but once correct the machine will home like a champ and square your gantry. Oh yeah, and restore your soft limits. :D