Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: 5x5 CNC - SDSK Build thread

Post by hennessey »

Yeah, restored the soft limits. In the "relaxed" position the y slave side trails the maste y side by about 2mm (making it impossible to get the slave side to trip first.

However, if both axis are held against my soft bumpers on startup before reset triggers (and energizes my servos), my autosquare procedure completes fine, and the machine cuts square (verified with some cornr to corner measurements on some 59.75x59.75 square test cuts.

Im going to shim my gantry side plates to hopefully eliminate the "resting" sag.

Ran a sheet of ply today. Whiteside ud2100 1/4 comp mill(used bit). 19000 rpm, 400 ipm feed .25 doc, 2 inch ramp. I need to find the macro folder and adjust the dwell time after spindle powers up, definitely a bit too close for my liking right now. I supposse i could also increase acceleration on the vfd but scrolling back theough the vfd parameters isnt high in my list of things to do. Dwell times on little dogbone cuts are a lil annoying right now but cut wuality was good. Will adjust acceleration to see if i can clean that up a bit.
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

This can happen with those extruded aluminum frames, seems something isn't quite square somewhere. There are a host of "rules" if one wants to use the auto homing and squaring. Do you remember reading those in the manual? I'm just spit balling here but you might be in violation of one.....or four of them, just sayin'. :mrgreen:

It would be best to run down why the frame isn't square in it's relaxed position. This can cause a host of other issues along with the issue you are having with auto homing and squaring not completing correctly. I'd look into this further and get it figured out first.

For a simple fix to your spindle delay, just add a delay in seconds to your M3 macro to wait for the spindle to spin up before it starts to cut the file. There's a better way to do this if your VFD supports a programmed output for "up to speed" but that's a more advanced method that we can try later if you want.

Here's a link to the mill operators manual that explains all the G and M codes and examples on how to use them, see page 212 on how to use the G4 to add in a specified length of delay each time the spindle starts.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... -v4.20.pdf

Hope this helps.
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

Yeah, oddly, when the machine hqs been corrected to square, its equally position on both sides of the y in relation to the aluminum frame. So the frame itself is square. Like i said im just gonna start shimming the carriages on the gantry plates to see if i can get it to relax square.

I opened up what i believe to be the m3 macro and near the top i see g4 p.1. I changed this to g4 p5 but im not sure if i noticed it dwelling for 5 seconds. Going on vacation so will get back to it on monday.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Nope, you don't want to CHANGE what is already there as that delay is for something else in the macro. If you are unsure of what you are doing, BEFORE you start editing any macro make a backup of it first. If it all goes bad at least you can restore the original macro.
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

Good advice. Yeah im inexperienced in editing macros and writing gcode (typically post proccessor reliant) Will do some reading on it this weekend.
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

Alright. Things are going well. Autohome procedure completes reliably, m3 macro edited to include a 5 second dwell before spindle move. Loaded 20 sheets of 18mm material onto the storage shelf, re ran the auto tuner to account for some extra frame mass. Was gonna mess with RAS settings but they were already at 16ms stock in the msp program so left them as it is.

Ran a test production cut today, whiteside ud2100 (dull), 350ipm in 18mm baltic birch today. Had a lil juddering on the x axis when it was cutting the arc on the left side of the sheet in the vid, but i believe it was something to do with my drawing, because i replaced that vector using aspires curve fit tool (bezier curve .001 tolerance) and it cut much better on the cleanup pass. Does acorn prefer drawings with bezier curves or circular arcs (some controllers ive used in the past prefered 1 to the other)

Seems like i have a bit more tuning to do, perhaps i will mess with mill12 smoothing settings to see if i can get this thing moving a bit quicker, smoothly.
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

About 16 sheets of machining time in now.

The machine is starting to remind me where i forgot to loctite, loosened a few bolts so i pulled all the m5 and m6 bolts out and inspected for loctite and retorqued them.

The spindle started to sound a lil noisy today. Its warm in the shop (about 90 degree farenheit) but spindle water resevoir is only 95 farenheit and spindle is cool to the touch. Going to dissassemble spindle and inspect/possibly clean qnd regrease the bearings to see if thelat restores quiet operation again.

Anyone have any grease recomendations for spindle bearings?
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Kluber Isoflex NBU 15 High Speed Spindle Bearing Grease
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

Spoke too soon. Now getting a fault 9031 (pretty sure z axis). Will attach report momentarily.
Attachments
report_0035FF8E8E7B-1001203770_2022-06-01_11-34-44.zip
(616.16 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
hennessey

Post by hennessey »

Eh so, had a few faults here or there. Seems to usually be at the beginning or the ending of a code, so im thinking its tied to z axis drive. Kinda just been running it though while i try and narrow it down.

Did my first 3d carve today. A baffle for a small monitor speaker

Attachments
20220609_172605.jpg