re-named to 'Bridgeport EZ Trak Conversion.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: re-named to 'Bridgeport EZ Trak Conversion.

Post by suntravel »

The servo will have 50in-lbs for a broad speed range (normaly up to 1500 -3000 rpm).

A 12Nm stepper have 12Nm holding power, but only 9 Nm if it moves slow, at 600rpm only 2 Nm are left. Look at this curve here:

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/downl ... _Curve.pdf

I think they are too small for decent rapid speed or faster feed rates.

Maybe 12Nm could work belted 2:1 to the axis, but still on the weak side.

Uwe
Topaze47
CNC Control System Serial Number: E06234793699-0913215176

Post by Topaze47 »

Sigh, another snag; over the weekend, my main computer started to fail... It's over 10 years old, so it wasn't unexpected, but I was hoping that it would last until the current supply-chain issues eased up somewhat. When that happened, I was planning on buying a mid-range system with a decent video card and learning Fusion 360.

I ended up with a pre-built Dell XPS with an 11th gen Core i7, Win11 Pro, decent sized drives and a decent amount of memory. I don't generally like pre-built machines, because almost all of the manufacturers use custom, non-standard components to keep the costs down. But in this case, I needed to replace the machine before it crashed hard enough to lose data.

So now, I get to spend this weekend transferring data to the new machine...
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Finally! The new computer is set up and running; data files have been transferred from the old machine and all the programs that I currently use have been re-loaded...

I've also managed to make two more sub-panels, a solid-state relay panel and one for the VFD. I think I have a suitable arrangement of these figured out for the control cabinet. Over the next week, I hope to get these sub-panels mounted, along with a power cord, the main switch and a circuit breaker for the VFD. (All of the smaller loads will be on fuses.) Pictures at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

In the process of deciding how to arrange the various components of the new controls, I've started to think about how I am going to keep everything cool. In the original EZ Trak, there was a large filter on the door of the control cabinet, with a fan drawing air through the filter and into the cabinet.
The air then exited through a set of louvers at the upper right of the cabinet. For this to work, the EZ Trak's cabinet was essentially airtight. Of course, the EZ Trak was designed for the worse-case, industrial manufacturing floor environment, not a home shop.

So, I'm wondering how far I actually need to go for adequate cooling. Should I keep the original setup, or can I get rid of the fan and filter in the door
and just set up a fan to exhaust air through the louvers? (The filter is about $35 from Amazon, by the way.)

Anybody have any thoughts, ideas?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Better to leave it as it was.

The Bridgeport arrangement with a circular paper air filter does a remarkably good job of keeping the interior clean.

In general, you want your fan pulling air in, through the filter. That way you have positive pressure in the cabinet, and even though air leaks through lots of small unfiltered openings, it will leak out those openings, not in.

If you install the fan at the exit, then you have low pressure in the cabinet and air will be pulled in through any opening it can find, most of them unfiltered.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

This is standard for cabinets, I would not change the cooling.

Uwe
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Well, 2 votes to zero, so my question has been answered!

I did get a chance to test the fan and it runs fine, so that's good news. However, the fan is filthy, so it appears that the previous owner ran the machine without a filter - probably for months - judging by the amount of dirt on the blades and grill. That would also explain the dirt and grime I found in the interior of the cabinet.

Finally, the filter that was installed when I got the machine seems both taller and larger in diameter than the machine was designed to use. I've included photos @ https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

There is nothing wrong with a larger or taller filter, as long as there are no gaps (leaks) around it when it is installed.

If you need to replace the fan, they are readily available from Jameco. Search "120mm AC tube axial fan". Get one with ball bearings and terminals (vs. leads).

For example:
https://www.jameco.com/z/SP100A-1123XBT ... 02884.html
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

I just spent an hour or so pulling the filter and fan from the control cabinet; I was hoping to find a part number for the filter and to verify the condition of the fan. Photos at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
(For those who want to follow along...) What I found was the area inside the circular filter - which should have been clean - was dirty. An area at about the 10 o'clock position was extremely dirty, as if air was leaking under the filter. when I looked at the filter - next slide, please - it appeared to have been crushed.

My guess? A careless forklift operator backed into the machine, and maybe he didn't see any visible damage, so he didn't tell anyone...

Anyway, I did find a part number for the filter, so tomorrow I'm going to Auto Zone to get a new $16 dollar filter, clean everything up and put it all back together.
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

I just spent the whole day doing what should have been a 2-hour job - cleaning the fan and installing the new filter. While I was cleaning the filter hold-down cover, I noticed that it had been damaged as well. Mind you, the cover is made of 16 ga. steel! Someone had tried to straighten it, but when I placed it on the new filter, I noticed several substantial air gaps. Fortunately, I had some 1/8" 6061 aluminum lying around... Pictures at
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8