re-named to 'Bridgeport EZ Trak Conversion.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Topaze47
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E06234793699-0913215176
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: re-named to 'Bridgeport EZ Trak Conversion.

Post by Topaze47 »

Two more modules completed today; the DC power supply module and one for the Acorn board. I think I'm going to run all of the DC supplies from the 220 VAC line; if it's too noisy, I can always switch to one of the 110 VAC legs. New photos at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Bench test version 2; I decided to wire the power supplies to 110 VAC instead of 220, so that I could pull the module and test it on the bench. I’ve also been building the user station. (CNCPC, monitor, keyboard, and the brackets needed to tie it all together.)

So I thought that I’d hook it all up and run some tests to make sure that I hadn’t killed anything…

As usual photos at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i always liked those big auto air filters on the electrical cabinet. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

I finished the operator station and did a test fit of the station on the original Bridgeport support arm; it looks like everything will work out. In fact, if the weather stays warm, I just may leave it mounted...

I also added a new main power switch to replace the original door interlock switch - which must have been mis-aligned - because getting the door to close properly was a colossal (you know what). more pictures for those who are interested...
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I also added a new main power switch to replace the original door interlock switch - which must have been mis-aligned - because getting the door to close properly was a colossal (you know what).
Thanks for the reminder. I was going to stash some light fishing line in my tool case, for supporting/aligning the handle shaft while closing the door, next time I have to work on a Bridgeport with the original cabinet.
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

More problems; in my original quick read-through of the Acorn Installation Manual, I made some assumptions that turned out not to be true...

Turns out that the only way to get 'Drive Enable’ signals is from the screw terminals, unless you are willing to sacrifice 4 of the 8 PLC outputs. Since I want to use the original ‘Tool Change/Cycle Start’ panel, I think I’ll need those outputs…

As usual photos at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Another problem: reading some of the newer posts, I found this one – “Alarm and enable signals question” by Black Forest. From reading the post – and the replies – I found that there is no way to reset a stepper driver that has activated its alarm output except to cycle the power to the driver itself. And, of course, ‘Home’ the machine afterward. In retrospect, I should have known this, since I have been using stepper drivers for years and don’t ever recall seeing a ‘reset’ or ‘clear fault’ input on any of them…

So, I spent a day adding 2 Solid State Relays to my 60 VDC power module. For the moment they are wired to be on continuously until I get a feel for how often they may be needed.

Also, in my reading of the ‘Alarm and enable signals’ post, the term ‘industry standard’ appeared several times. Is there a link to this ‘standard’ document? It seems to me that having this document available – or a summary of it – would save the moderators a lot of time now spent in answering basic questions that would be addressed by such a document. Just a suggestion… :-)
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Sometime last year, I discovered that the VFD on my lathe had died. I wasn’t using the lathe that much, so I just put off getting a new VFD. Then I bought the EZ-Trak… So I got rid of a workbench, moved the lathe to that location and put the EZ-Trak where the lathe had been – since I already had 220 wired to that spot.

Both the lathe and my step-pulley Bridgeport had their VFDs mounted on the wall behind them with an overhead wire running to the motors. (That’s probably not to Code, but it worked, and I can run either machine with the Bridgeport’s VFD.) So I’ve been busy rewiring both the lathe and the step-pulley mill while trying not to put either machine out-of-commission for very long…

In addition to the electrical work, I’ve been spending some time trying to figure out how to mount the X and Y motors to the EZ-Trak with a minimum of changes/modifications. The X-axis looked like the simplest, so I tried it first. The only modification I had to make was to mill clearance for the locating boss on the closed loop stepper motor.

Pictures at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Progress! I have finished re-wiring the step-pulley mill with a Mitsubishi 1HP vfd that I had bought at flea market years ago, but had never used. I found a cabinet in pretty good shape, so I put everything in that and mounted it to the back of the machine. Makes a much cleaner installation – see pictures at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr1ApfqEAUrrohJn8

Both manual machines are now up and running, so now it’s back to the Y axis on the EZ-Trak. On both the X and Y axis, the belt drives are totally protected by a housing and cover. On the X axis, the motor mounts on the cover, so very little dis-assembly was needed to remove and modify the cover for the stepper motor. On the Y axis however, the motor mounts to the back of the housing. From the prints in the book, it looked like I might have to dis-assemble most of the front Y-axis bearing assembly to get the housing off. A closer look at the machine showed that the housing fits around the bearing assembly, so all I need to do is pull the sprocket and the housing should come right off. Stay tuned…
Topaze47

Post by Topaze47 »

Oops, it looked like the housing fit around the bearing assembly, but the bearing assembly is actually mounted in the housing, so I will have to dis-assemble the bearings to get the housing off. If I had just looked at the step-pulley mill I would have probably realized that...

So, does anybody have any experience with the Y-axis assembly/dis-assembly process for an EZ-Trak?