Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Recommendations for PC to run p.m. 940 conversion

Post by Vwfan »

Just kind of generalized question here now that I have everything as far as the drive motors and acorn talking together and working correctly do I start wiring up my back panel now or do I want to wire in every single thing that will end up on the machine like all the limit switches and things like that before I try to put it all on the back panel in the cabinet ? Or is Marty‘s bench test adequate before you start laying out the panel?
Upnorth
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

I would start by fitting all the parts and wiring conduits in the box. This gives you an idea if it will all fit and if you need to reposition something due to potential EMI. Once all is fitted into the box you can wire it up with the basics to make it run. From there you can put in one set of wires at a time. Do some testing. This way you will now which circuit is causing a problem before you get the whole box wired up.
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

Ok awsome sounds like a solid plan, i’m basically trying to mimic exactly how Marty has his laid out on his x4 conversion, my panel box is a little differently shaped but I’m really trying to do it exactly like he had it so I don’t run into any problems I’m a total nervous status but I’m glad I’m able to get it working halfway so far still waiting on my mill supposedly going to be here in the next month or so,already have my ballscrews and all ready to go
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

Also in Marty‘s video he shows snuber or sniffer I’m not certain exactly what it’s called it goes on the east stop contactor I think to lessen the electronic noise interference can I get a little help her input with that particular item? Where can I find it and how do I know which one I need
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

I do not have snubbers on my relays and they work fine. I will put them on anyway at some point. You can use a simple diode to act as a snubber. If you chose your relays carefully you can get ones with built in snubbers. A snubber is a diode with a coil (or capacitor I think) in parallel. They do make your relay contacts last longer. Don't get to hung up on worrying about electrical noise just follow proper shielding and grounding practices, you should be fine. Keep high power things away from sensitive items like encoder feeds. You will usually run into issues where you can't follow all the rules but still have no issue. If you do have an issue you will now where to look.

A quick google search came up with this that shows with an oscilloscope why to use a snubber.

https://techexplorations.com/guides/ard ... ode-relay/
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

OK sounds good man I really appreciate your input and your help thank you very much like I said that’s the first time I’ve wired a panel like this I mean I’ve wired my car I’ve wired my house I’ve done computers but this is the first thing like this! Just hoping by the time I get it all hooked up on my mail it operates correctly! Also I guess I’ll have to wait till it gets here to wire in the VFD to the acorn!
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Snubbers and flyback diodes are not for electronic noise and your relays will work fine without snubbers. The purpose of these components is to suppress high voltage spikes created when electrical flow through a coil of wire is instantly stopped. The high voltage spikes will damage the electronics controlling the relay. You are saving $0.05 at the cost of a new Acorn.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

OK yeah no problem I would like to get it all installed properly with no concern of damage down the road I see that Marty only put one on his E stop contactor that’s the only one I saw in his cabinet I’ll add them everywhere is that cut out a little insurance I just need a little guidance on where and which ones to buy
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

Here’s my initial cabinet layout the wire containment ways I ordered were a bit large so I have 1“ x 1“ on its way also I think I’m going to 3-D print the correct den rail mount for the a can board and I think you can also put the relay board up on top with files available online
Also hopefully I can wire up this box to have a cycle start stop and my east stop
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Vwfan

Post by Vwfan »

A couple questions about mounting the PC for the relay board and the acorn itself?? I know they need to be spaced off of the back panel so that all The soldered circuits through the board don’t touch the metal backing but do I need to isolate the boards themselves meaning put like plastic spacers in between the board and the back of the cabinet mounting plate??