Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Cut off tool approach

Post by BillB »

Hey all in this program (programmed in Intercon) my cut-off tool is crossing over in front of the part crashing. The lathe is a gang tool type and my cut-off tool is at the top of the table coming in from the backside, How do you compensate for this I don't really see options in Intercon to modify the approach distance and angle? see pics
Attachments
IMG_1283.jpg
Bills 1st Intercon Program.cnc
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
030.jpg
031.jpg
032.jpg
Caleb
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473A2EE6C-1022192587

Re: Cut off tool approach

Post by Caleb »

I would put in some G0 moves to put the tool in the right place before ging to the approach to clear.

Edit, I dont use gang tools but is it your tool change position causing the problem?
centroidsupport
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by centroidsupport »

Please post a current report
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
vw_chuck
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490

Post by vw_chuck »

Set your G28 to a reasonable position. You are coming in from the back.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In Intercon, that is what the "Pre/Post Cycle Position" is for.

Use it to set an XZ location that the tool must pass through on the way to the cycle starting point; on the back back from it; or both.
BillB

Post by BillB »

cncsnw wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:34 pm In Intercon, that is what the "Pre/Post Cycle Position" is for.

Use it to set an XZ location that the tool must pass through on the way to the cycle starting point; on the back back from it; or both.
Ok will look into that thanks
BillB

Post by BillB »

vw_chuck wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:05 pm Set your G28 to a reasonable position. You are coming in from the back.
Not sure I follow your input. The lathe is a gang tool type currently with 9 tools on it with the cut-off tool coming in from the back side, mounted on the top. Grant it I'm still learning gcodes I looked up g28 (machine 0,0) which makes your comment even more unclear to me. If you would have said tool change position that would make more sense, but then again once retraced from either tool change OR machine 0 that is not the issue at hand. its, when the tool has already traveled all the way up in X on the approach up to and into the stock, is where the problem is.

as per cncsnw input that is what I need to learn to fix it.

Thanks
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Could you possibly stick with one thread for your posts on the same issue? As I posted in the other thread, you can use F1 Line moves to move your tool to the proper side or you can use the pre/post cycle as suggested above.

F1 Line works without you having to learn g-codes.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cnc_smith
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnc_smith »

BillB wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:38 am Hey all in this program (programmed in Intercon) my cut-off tool is crossing over in front of the part crashing. The lathe is a gang tool type and my cut-off tool is at the top of the table coming in from the backside, How do you compensate for this I don't really see options in Intercon to modify the approach distance and angle? see pics

Please post a current report as requested last week.

For gang tooling in Intercon return to G28 position for tool change normally should be turned off. In Intercon at the main screen Press Setup F9. Use the curser arrow to move down to Suppress G28 for Tool Change. Press the F1 Toggle key to toggle to Yes. This way for each tool change it will not got to the tool change position. F10 Accept. Now when programming you can use the approach and retract option in the cycles.

You will have to make the Z clearance move (Retract) when one tool is done. The Z clearance would to where your longest tool will clear the end of the part. Then the X move in the next tool to where it would start with the approach at the Z clearance. For the first tool if you are using a cycle and can use the approach and retract. If you are doing line by line moves then you need to program the Z clearance when one tool is done. The next tool move X to the start of the next tool at that Z clearance. Then move Z in. Short of it move Z to clearance when that tool is done. Stay at a clearance Z and Move X to start of the next tool then move Z in. At the end of the program out at a clearance area you can insert G28 to go to a tool change position for clearance when the job is done.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
BillB

Post by BillB »

cnc_smith wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:35 pm
BillB wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:38 am Hey all in this program (programmed in Intercon) my cut-off tool is crossing over in front of the part crashing. The lathe is a gang tool type and my cut-off tool is at the top of the table coming in from the backside, How do you compensate for this I don't really see options in Intercon to modify the approach distance and angle? see pics

Please post a current report as requested last week.

For gang tooling in Intercon return to G28 position for tool change normally should be turned off. In Intercon at the main screen Press Setup F9. Use the curser arrow to move down to Suppress G28 for Tool Change. Press the F1 Toggle key to toggle to Yes. This way for each tool change it will not got to the tool change position. F10 Accept. Now when programming you can use the approach and retract option in the cycles.

You will have to make the Z clearance move (Retract) when one tool is done. The Z clearance would to where your longest tool will clear the end of the part. Then the X move in the next tool to where it would start with the approach at the Z clearance. For the first tool if you are using a cycle and can use the approach and retract. If you are doing line by line moves then you need to program the Z clearance when one tool is done. The next tool move X to the start of the next tool at that Z clearance. Then move Z in. Short of it move Z to clearance when that tool is done. Stay at a clearance Z and Move X to start of the next tool then move Z in. At the end of the program out at a clearance area you can insert G28 to go to a tool change position for clearance when the job is done.
I have not followed your input in my settings yet BUT here is a current report. I have been playing around with changing Use G28 in parameters as well as in the setup menu in Intercon. What is the difference? is it that your permanently setting it in perimeters VS on-demand within Intercon for as per need basis? Or are they 2 different functions?

I think I just might move on to Fusion for programming till I get the hang of lath work then move back to Intercon. At least I have all the visuals of CAD/CAM to work it all out I just need to learn to define tooling in Fusion.

Please note this report reflects my progress of today's session. Any input is appreciated.
Attachments
report_6433DB044D1E-0623214856_2022-01-10_23-31-20.zip
(636.17 KiB) Downloaded 57 times