Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Stepperonline CL86T with Acorn

Post by suntravel »

I wanted more power for my Z and decided to go with the CL86T driver, 12Nm (106.26 lb-in) 34HS59-6004D-E1000 closed loop stepper driven by 60V DC

These are made by Leadshine for Stepperonline.

Thought about JMC integrated Servo or Stepper also, but i do not like have to build some enclosure for the wiring, and my choice had the best torque curve with lowest price for my needs.

So before milling the brackets for the motor and the new HiWin ballsrew I made a quick benchtest to be sure if the hardware is done iI can wire the things and run without fiddling around.

Written manual says PUL DIR and ENA are 5-24V, online manual 5V, also stated on the webpage current versions are only 5V logic.

ALM could switch 20mA.

Since I do not like DB25 and my CL57T drivers are also on the 24V Headers connected, I put a 2kOhm resistor in the PUL- DIR- and ENA- lines.
ALM without resistor measured 17.7 mA, so it is in the range and can be wired in series with the other drivers to IN5. Parameter 14 had to be set to 0 to make it switch NC.

Could be done with the current ProTuner from Leadshine.

Manual had no color codes for the supplied wires, so I had to measure which Pin ist what color to connect them according to the schematic.

Motor runs smooth with more rpm I will need, Drive Fault works, I am happy so far.

Regards

Uwe
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Stepperonline CL86T with Acorn

Post by martyscncgarage »

This drive should be wired to the DB25 as it is a 5V logic drive.
That said, if you want to keep it wired to Acorn header, I would feed +5VDC from the Acorn power supply to +Pul, +Dir, +Ena instead of 24VDC and eliminate the resistors you put in series with the -Pul, -Dir, -Ena.

My .02
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
suntravel
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by suntravel »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am This drive should be wired to the DB25 as it is a 5V logic drive.
That said, if you want to keep it wired to Acorn header, I would feed +5VDC from the Acorn power supply to +Pul, +Dir, +Ena instead of 24VDC and eliminate the resistors you put in series with the -Pul, -Dir, -Ena.

My .02
Marty
Marty,

do you thing there is a disadvantage using resistors like Leadshine suggests ?

As far as i know they are only to adjust the current flow to the inputs, should be similar using lower voltage or a resistor.

Regards

Uwe
martyscncgarage

suntravel wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:04 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am This drive should be wired to the DB25 as it is a 5V logic drive.

My .02
Marty
Marty,

As far as i know they are only to adjust the current flow to the inputs, should be similar using lower voltage or a resistor.

Regards

Uwe
Why use them if they are not needed when fed +5VDC? They are used to drop the voltage.
The diagram he posted shows resistors are not needed when using +5VDC.
When using Acorn, we advise that users with drives using 5VDC logic connect them to the DB25. The DB25 provides that voltage level.
as well as the return. When using the DB25, the +Pul shoudl go to the DB25 Step pin and the +Dir should go to the DB25 Dir pin, while the -Step and -Dir should go the DB25 COM lines 18-25

Centroid has provided schematics for most "typical" drives including Leadshine and clones. They should be followed.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
suntravel

Post by suntravel »

Thank you Marty.

I know both other ways to wire the driver up, since I read all documentation an most posts here and learned quite a lot here to build a DIY CNC.
You are a great part of my learning curve here and with your youtube channel. Thanks for sharing so much knowledge.

But that means not these are the only ways to get the drive working good. If I am wrong and run into problems, I will let you know and use DB25.

I fact this ist how I am, and this is one reason using Centroid and not Estlcam, mach3 or Linux CNC like most others in Germany.

IMHO this was a good one and I am on the way to find a old VMC for my dayjob and retrofit it with Centroid Oak.

Regards

Uwe
martyscncgarage

suntravel wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:23 pm Thank you Marty.

I know both other ways to wire the driver up, since I read all documentation an most posts here and learned quite a lot here to build a DIY CNC.
You are a great part of my learning curve here and with your youtube channel. Thanks for sharing so much knowledge.

But that means not these are the only ways to get the drive working good. If I am wrong and run into problems, I will let you know and use DB25.

I fact this ist how I am, and this is one reason using Centroid and not Estlcam, mach3 or Linux CNC like most others in Germany.

IMHO this was a good one and I am on the way to find a old VMC for my dayjob and retrofit it with Centroid Oak.

Regards

Uwe
No problem, we are here to bounce thoughts and ideas off of. You have also been helpful. Thanks for your participation on the forums.
When the time comes for an Oak system, there are some good experienced users here.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
suntravel

Post by suntravel »

The Stepper is running now on the machine together with a new HiWin ballscrew.

So far I am very pleased, gives rapid 5000mm/min ~ 200ipm
Position deviation in rapid is max 0,003mm / 0,00018"

Not to bad for a small hobby mill :)

Regards

Uwe
greglwood

Post by greglwood »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:24 pm
suntravel wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:04 pm

My .02
Marty
Marty,

Regards

Uwe
Why use them if they are not needed when fed +5VDC? They are used to drop the voltage.
The diagram he posted shows resistors are not needed when using +5VDC.
When using Acorn, we advise that users with drives using 5VDC logic connect them to the DB25. The DB25 provides that voltage level.
as well as the return. When using the DB25, the +Pul shoudl go to the DB25 Step pin and the +Dir should go to the DB25 Dir pin, while the -Step and -Dir should go the DB25 COM lines 18-25

Centroid has provided schematics for most "typical" drives including Leadshine and clones. They should be followed.

Marty
Marty,
This thread is old but I want to clarify something for myself. First you said the resistors are to drop the voltage, but resisters in serials limit current not drop voltage. Why use 24v vs 5v? Would 24v not be less likely to be effected by EMI? Not telling you but asking you.

Also would like to note that V4 of the CL86T and CL57T (T Series drivers) no longer require the resistors. The Y Series drivers don't appear to have newer versions.
Pics, Manuals. Specs, Datasheets for build - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

CNC12 Mill Pro
All in one CNCPC
Ether1616 Expansion Kit
Centroid Wireless MPG
2 Relay 8 Boards
Stepperonline 3Nm Closed Loop - CT57T Driver
Stepperonline 12Nm Closed Loop - CT86T Driver
Omron Encoder
DIG3D.LP.M Touch Probe
DIG3D.Fix Touch Off
Signal Isolator
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

V=IR - Resistors do limit current, and they drop voltage WHEN current is flowing.

If you have a noise floor of 2V, and a control voltage of 5V, your noise is a significant proportion of your signal. With a 24V signal, 2V of noise is much easier to ignore or filter out.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

greglwood wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:50 am Also would like to note that V4 of the CL86T and CL57T (T Series drivers) no longer require the resistors. The Y Series drivers don't appear to have newer versions.
They do still require the resistor it's just built into V4 and you select 5 or 24 with a DIP switch. The DIP switch is putting the internal resistor inline with your 24 volt input if you choose 24 volts. If you wire it up with 5V then you are in essence taking the resistor out of the equation when you flip the DIP switch to 5V. These are still 5v drives. :D