Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

g code / intercon

Post by kpelley »

I am looking into purchasing Centroid Acorn for a 3-axis router. I am confused about how the g-code is generated. Does cnc12 software generate the g-code via Intercon? How do most centroid users generate g code from a 2D dxf file? I see there is a manual available for cnc12 mill but I do not see a manual for cnc12 router, is there software for routers? Many thanks for your help, -Ken
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Re: g code / intercon

Post by ShawnM »

Hi Ken, the software is the same for mill and router. When you install the software you select mill or router and the install will modify the VCP per your choice. The VCP is the virtual control panel on the right side with all the buttons. You just get different buttons with mill and router. The software is the same under the hood, it just looks a little different for mill and router.

Most users with a router pick their CAD/CAM software of choice to generate G code via the post processor in that software. I personally have never used intercon and probably never will. My software of choice is either Vcarve Pro and Cut2D by Vectric. Another popular choice is Fusion 360. I draw everything in AutoCAD and import that drawing into the Vectric software to create the tool paths and then the G code. I am also a router guy.

Hope this helps and others will chime in with their favorites.
kpelley
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by kpelley »

Thanks for the reply. I am a retired mechanical engineer with years of Autodesk Inventor experience. I built a 3 axis router that I currently use manually for holes in plates and straight slots. It is stiff enough to cut aluminum, so I want to automate/upgrade it with CNC and Steppers. Acorn + Gecko G540 looks like a good and easy match. I just need to sort out the g code. Does anyone use CamBam? I don't mind spending a few bucks for good software. Just looking for something reliable. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated!
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

For simple 2d paths I use Intercon, you can also import DXF and generate the g-codes with Intercon.
Text and Logos engraving Inkscape for drawing and its G-Code tool.
Complicated 3d parts fusion 360

Best is to learn to make g-codes only with Notepad++, helps a lot to dial in postprocessors or for optimizing the programs.

Regards

Uwe
kpelley
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by kpelley »

Is CamBam compatible with Acorn? Does anyone have experience with this? I am planning on the following system: DXF (AutoDesk) / CamBam / Acorn / Gecko G540. Does this make sense, am I missing anything? I would like to get a confirmation on compatibility before I purchase all the components. Thanks -Ken
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

I've heard a lot of "Hate" stories on CamBam in the past, not sure how they're doing now. I would assume that they have a post processor (the part that generates the machine code from your drawing) that would work with CNC12 or at least be able to provide one. Take a look at the Vectric products, Vcarve Pro would be a good match from what you describe that you do. You can skip the Autodesk step if you learn to do the drawing in VCP, but you can import your drawings as well. There are many other Cad/Cam packages out there, but price of admission goes up from there.
Scott
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I agree with Sword, find out if CamBam has a post processor for Centroid if this is the route you chose. This will be the key starting point in my opinion also. I'm sure they even offer up a "generic" PP that you could modify to work with Acorn. I've foud that most all PP will need some tweaks anyway to make the machine behave the way you want it to. I'm sure there are other users here who have tried or use CamBam and will chime in. I know nothing about CamBam and dont ever hear anyone mention it.

Since you have Inventor experience you might consider Fusion 360. There's a great PP here on the forum for Fusion 360 and lots of support for it.

My other choice for a router users, as Sword also mentioned, would be one of the Vectric products. Maybe start with Cut2D and see if that does everything you want. I cut aircraft instrument panels from aluminum and carbon fiber on my router and started with Cut2D and it did everything I needed for 2D work. I drew panels in AutoCAD 2015 and imported the DWG or DXF into Cut2D and created all my toolpaths. Worked perfectly every time. It's a great product with tons of support for it as well as Centroid post processors to tweak.

Keep in mind if you chose a product with limited support it'll be more difficult in the long run.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

If CamBam doesn't have a Centroid specific post processor, it will most likely have a Fanuc one. CNC12 should have no problems loading and running Fanuc compatible g-code.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.