Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 402E71ED62A8-0322214540
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

New CNC Router Build: Acorn + CP SDSK Servos + CNCRP PRO4896 + JGL-80

Post by ryanjg11 »

First topic on my new (and first) CNC router build. Using the AVID CNC PRO4896 kit, but only their mechanicals. Centroid Acorn controller, Clearpath servos (4x CPM-SDSK-3421S-ELN with their IPC-5 power supply), and a Jian-Ken JGL-80 2.2kW ATC spindle and AutomationDirect GS20 drive. Intel NUC running Windows 10 and CNC12.

Fortunate to have a Control Engineer friend who designed and built the schematic, so all I had to do was the layout and wiring. Pictures below. Some expandability was also factored into the design for a future vacuum hold down system.

I just got CNC12 installed the other day and after some fiddling with the firewall, was able to get it all working on the NUC via Ethernet.

In the CNC Wizard, I've selected Clearpath SDSK as the Axis Drive Type. I'd like to finish the IO Definitions, get the spindle running, and configure the axis (and axis pairing) next. A bit worried as this is my first build and I didn't bench test the spindle or servos ahead of time.

Below is my NET LIST for the build - PLC03020 is Acorn, RLY03060 is a generic 8-channel relay module.
net-list.PNG
Here are pics of the build:
cnc1.jpg
cnc2.jpg
cnc3.jpg
cnc4.jpg
cnc5.jpg
Lots of questions forthcoming.

Where should I start? :shock:
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New CNC Router Build: Acorn + CP SDSK Servos + CNCRP PRO4896 + JGL-80

Post by Gary Campbell »

Connect 1motor. Make it work. Repeat as needed.
Connect 1 homing switch. Make it work. Repeat as needed.
Connect the spindle.....

Get the picture? Imagine the degree of difficulty with 50+ wires connected vs 6 or 8 when a problem presents itself
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: New CNC Router Build: Acorn + CP SDSK Servos + CNCRP PRO4896 + JGL-80

Post by martyscncgarage »

Wow....
Do you have any experience with a CNC Control Conversion? Do you have basic electrical/electronic skills? What is your background? (you must have some background, the work looks good...)

Have you reviewed the Acorn Installation Manual?
Did you BENCH test things first?
Did you happen to watch any of my videos on the SYIL X4 Build with Clearpath motors?

Do axis motors move now? Where are you at or are you just introducing us to the build. Most build threads start from the beginning...

If I were called to a freshly wired control like that, and non functional, I would have my work cut out for me.....
Gary hit the nail on the head....take it one step at a time, bench test Acorn with the PC, add one axis drive and motor, get it working, then the second, third etc. Then test home switches, get them configured....

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ